What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 flights ! Man you need to post the in the flight pacing thread!

On three rockets in an hour and a half. Very small field (many hungry trees lurking about the edge) so my supply of A8-3s is down significantly now. With almost no wind the longest recovery was probably 30', and I had a pack of children to do that work.

Finished a paper for school. I got to choose the subject. Needless to say.... I did it on rocket motors. You can see my paper in my thread in the watering hole :)

This is an update for this past weekend, during which time I only used my laptop for running Rocksim to choose motors.

Attended both days of the URRG launch. Flew my 4" Der V-3 twice in pursuit of L1 cert. First flight had the chute detach due to failed snap swivel (whoever it was last week that said they can pull out was right on!). Only minor cosmetic damage to rocket, which came down using its nomex blanket as a streamer. Recovered chute, reattached using 600# standard swivel (thanks Ken Allen), relaunched. Clean flight. L1 achieved.

Made a first flight of my Super Firecat. Good boost, wind carried the rocket right up to the spectators adjacent to the LCO table. Landed kinda hard though, both winglets were knocked loose. I might have to revise the chute size and descent rate.
21028428592_3df0b7bdb9_b.jpg

Also of note - my Der Green Max was apparently abducted by aliens over the carrot field on landing, after successfully launching on a trio of B6-6 motors. I'm pretty sure all lit, because boosted straight and really quick. Last photo taken, just prior to disappearance (to go on milk cartons):
20415698134_7ee76b7294_b.jpg

This is an update for this past weekend, during which time I only used my laptop for running Rocksim to choose motors.

Attended both days of the URRG launch. Flew my 4" Der V-3 twice in pursuit of L1 cert. First flight had the chute detach due to failed snap swivel (whoever it was last week that said they can pull out was right on!). Only minor cosmetic damage to rocket, which came down using its nomex blanket as a streamer. Recovered chute, reattached using 600# standard swivel (thanks Ken Allen), relaunched. Clean flight. L1 achieved.

Made a first flight of my Super Firecat. Good boost, wind carried the rocket right up to the spectators adjacent to the LCO table. Landed kinda hard though, both winglets were knocked loose. I might have to revise the chute size and descent rate.
21028428592_3df0b7bdb9_b.jpg

Also of note - my Der Green Max was apparently abducted by aliens over the carrot field on landing, after successfully launching on a trio of B6-6 motors. I'm pretty sure all lit, because boosted straight and really quick. Last photo taken, just prior to disappearance (to go on milk cartons):
20415698134_7ee76b7294_b.jpg
Oooh! I love that green max. Sorry you lost it...

Last edited:
I drilled the holes in my bulk plates and centering ring for metal ubolts and eyebolts. Later i plan on starting the build proper. also masked off my level 1 rocket for repainitng

On Sunday I went 5 for 5. Finally had a good set of launches with minimal damage. First up were the kid's rockets, Amazon on a B6-6, Mongoose on a C6-7, Bull Puppy on an Aerotech D12-7. Put up the rail and launched my Interrogator G on a G64-7 and finished with a recently finished 3" Estes Hi-Flier upscale on an H128 with a 48" chute with a spill hole; landed a little fast for new. Only damage with the Bull Puppy breaking a 10-year old shock cord and the upscale breaking the stupid plastic 'loop" on the nose cone. Funny thing was that both of the 2-piece recoveries had parts in a 10-yard radius of each other.

Added DD to my Super Batray and finished the AV Bay

Bought and built an Estes Extreme 12 - my first 2 stager

Bought a T-mobile SIM card to hopefully figure out this little Chinese GPS Tracker

21100236945_68aa74bde1_c.jpg

Been a long time. I miss you guys. Thought I would start off simple and build a level 1 kit by instructions. Bummer is that the instructions on this are so messed up that they now include extra instructions to supplement.

The urge to put rail buttons on this was severely hard to resist.

Been a long time. I miss you guys. Thought I would start off simple and build a level 1 kit by instructions. Bummer is that the instructions on this are so messed up that they now include extra instructions to supplement.

Glad you're back.

Spent the day in the garage with my 11 y.o. boy turning pens and pencils. While out there, we made some progress on a couple old projects I had written off. Who knows, maybe some day they will actually fly.

View attachment 270229

View attachment 270230

You are making those pens? They are beautiful. I just recently got into fountain pens and carry one with me always. Nice job

You are making those pens? They are beautiful. I just recently got into fountain pens and carry one with me always. Nice job

I love fountain pens, too. I have since I was in school. There is something timeless and romantic about them.

081.jpg

213.jpg

214.jpg

223.jpg

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 13
I love fountain pens, too. I have since I was in school. There is something timeless and romantic about them.

Love those nib styles. I have yet to get an old school one that is a bit more squat like many of the classics. I sort of like the new age ones, but a Parker 51 is in my future for sure. Currently I carry a Lamy safari with a fine nib and field notes

20914839650_54e55c834c_z.jpg

Yay!!

Krusty

A Borky sighting!

Nice to see you back posting AND building rockets.

Succumbed to complete rocket insanity...

Since I ground-tested a record-breaking week before launch, my mind wandered to the possibility of finishing the rocket. This was part of the earlier plan (already had the paint, HVLP sprayer and safety gear), but had been put aside for construction and testing.

So what happens today?

A pile of 2" PVC (it started much bigger) and other bits...
View attachment 271039

All framing except the corners and a lighter door are done.
View attachment 271038

It should break down into nice small area that can be stored. (My wife's car can coexist in the garage if it is set up. It will, however, will exit the premises when in use.)
View attachment 271037

Tomorrow should see the corners and door assembled and the entire monstrosity covered with plastic sheeting. There is one small error where one fan opening is about an inch too wide (an easy fix). Filters will separate the intake fans from the interior and sit in the openings on the distant wall. A third may be installed in the lower portion of the door if needed.

In retrospect, an EZ-up with walls may have been a good way to go. Less work but a higher cost if bought new.

Doug

If you have not done so already, I would love to see a how to in the Technique's forum for this project. I have been shut out of painting for weeks (weekends) due to high humidity and rain, and would love to have a booth to shoot in... "JUST DO IT!"

I just finished off a Hornet last night and started fixing up my crashed Loadstar II, the Cosmic Explorer is near the top of the build pile, might build it up this weekend.

20150902_212512 (Medium).jpg

cheers - mark

If you have not done so already, I would love to see a how to in the Technique's forum for this project. I have been shut out of painting for weeks (weekends) due to high humidity and rain, and would love to have a booth to shoot in... "JUST DO IT!"

I plan on doing some documentation of the process. There isn't much to really show as far a construction. Measure, cut, assemble, repeat. I put this aside in favor or having more rockets ready for AIRFest, but it will be addressed this fall.

Weather here has been absolutely atrocious for painting. Temps have been good, but we were hitting 96+% humidity every night and only had a few hours in the afternoon where humidity was below 70%.

Look for a thread in the upcoming weeks. September and October should have some decent painting days; most of November on will be too cold.

Doug

Ordered a LOC Expediter and received my Fruity Chute in the mail today. I love this thing already and I haven't used it yet!

Back