What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my wife's cameo, the software can import dxf files, and you can trace images.
That works too! I use a Silhouette Cameo 3 and it's great: https://amzn.to/2hE4POM I bought a 12x24" cutting mat for it: https://amzn.to/2hFCTu2 That lets me cut pretty long masks (e.g. for long flames or whatever). I have a friend who cuts really long masks without a mat,but so far the stock 12x12 and the 12x24 have been great for me. For the vinyl spray paint mask material, I use EnduraMatte from Sign Warehouse. It seems to do well for a spray paint mask and it removes easily.

Compared flight altitude profile recorded by a bme280 (recorded by Raspberry Pi Zero) with same flight recorded by an RRC3. Apogee agreed within one (1) foot and profile graph shapes agree. The bme280 was (apparently) being sampled at half the rate of the RRC3.

I ordered an Estes Pro Series Nike Smoke & a pack of A10-3T motors.
I got the PSII Nike Smoke for $28!

Thanks,

Thanks,

That is a really great kit. So much fun on modest motors (2,000' on a G64-7W).

Got more work done on my Estes Shuttle. Been a really busy Fall and garage time has been scarce.

Work is slow . Started my PSII Nike Smoke. Used 5 minute epoxy instead of CA. And installed a kevlar Y harness mount.

It will only be DD by means of motor ejection and JLCR at 300'.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Looked pretty hard at that deal -- but the build pile is already much too high. It is a very cool model. I am pretty sure I saw one go up on an I or a J at a club launch.

In the early hours I fiddled a bit with a design that might work for an L2 attempt. I am constraining the design to parts and stock already in my shop, a form factor that won't crowd all of the other big rockets out of the back of the station wagon, and heavy/draggy enough that I won't have to hike through 3 miles of sage brush to retrieve it.
bigbanshee.jpg

I also opened and inventoried my Maslow CNC kit. Everything is in there -- I just have to grab a couple of bricks off the pile in the garden and clear a space in the shop to assemble it. Not immediately "rocket wise" news I guess, until I decide to build a full-scale Aerobee. <grin>

20171122_094658.jpg

Actually, I've got some parts to make on the little CNC before I put the big CNC together.

Spent way to much money... But got a dozen CTI loads at a great deal.

Spent too much on the Wildman sale. Blackhawk 38 and a bunch of CTI reloads are coming my way. And what's really scary....I wanted to spend sooooo much more. My wallet (and wife) are thankful that most of the motors that I wanted were sold out by the time I got there.

Spent too much on the Wildman sale. Blackhawk 38 and a bunch of CTI reloads are coming my way. And what's really scary....I wanted to spend sooooo much more. My wallet (and wife) are thankful that most of the motors that I wanted were sold out by the time I got there.

Aren’t the motors going to be cheaper on Saturday?

That wouldn't make much sense to have Motors be cheaper for non-members then club members

What I’m saying is his bigger motor discounts will be Saturday. Members will still get the extra 10%.

Aren&#8217;t the motors going to be cheaper on Saturday?

ANY discount on CTI is a big deal to me. Even with limited supplies. We bought a bunch of CTI 29, 38 and 54 reloads yesterday.
Last year AT HPR was 35% off list with a few loads at 40% on Black Saturday.
I doubt that CTI will be cheaper on Saturday, and selection will be much worse after we hit it. I checked the new website this morning and pretty much everything we bought yesterday is out of stock now.

ANY discount on CTI is a big deal to me. Even with limited supplies. We bought a bunch of CTI 29, 38 and 54 reloads yesterday.
Last year AT HPR was 35% off list with a few loads at 40% on Black Saturday.
I doubt that CTI will be cheaper on Saturday, and selection will be much worse after we hit it. I checked the new website this morning and pretty much everything we bought yesterday is out of stock now.

I say support your local vendor.

Decided to customize my Der Red FiberMAX.
IMG_1511563821.451157.jpg

Watching college football and building rockets while my wife does the Black Friday shopping-thing with the kids—It’s a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Had some time off so I went to visit some real rockets today and picked up another Baby Bertha and paint on the way home!

pete.jpeg

peteB copy.jpeg

Did some temporary motor hardware storage. The Foam was free, now I need a case or tote to keep it in. 1124171700.jpg1124171659.jpg

Started work on Orange Crush (yep its going to be painted orange), a stubby rocket similar in style to the Mercury RDR I or II and the Tiny Pterodactyl only with a 38mm motor mount. The airframe is a piece of FG wrapped Loc 3.1 leftover from my L2 cert rocket, the nose cone is from the Tripoli Vegas Yard Sale (thanks Rob Martinez), fins and CRs are cut from scrap pieces of baltic birch I always seem to have laying around the shop, and the mmt is left over from the kids Crayon bank rockets. The rocket will be built predominantly with wood glue except the fillets which will have to be epoxy (fins are ply and airframe is FG wrapped). Currently with all parts it weighs about 14.5ozs, and it should weigh under 2lbs RTF. Motors simmed are every thing between a F40 and a J570.

Any recommended non-flourescent oranges, so far I have seen two that I kind of like Husquvarna Orange, and the Hyundai Veloster Orange, but other input would be welcome.
OrangeCrush1.jpgOrangeCrush2.jpgOrangeCrush3.jpgOR_graphics2956995371890822838.png

Last edited:
Started work on Orange Crush (yep its going to be painted orange), a stubby rocket similar in style to the Mercury RDR I or II and the Tiny Pterodactyl only with a 38mm motor mount. The airframe is a piece of FG wrapped Loc 3.1 leftover from my L2 cert rocket, the nose cone is from the Tripoli Vegas Yard Sale (thanks Rob Martinez), fins and CRs are cut from scrap pieces of baltic birch I always seem to have laying around the shop, and the mmt is left over from the kids Crayon bank rockets. The rocket will be built predominantly with wood glue except the fillets which will have to be epoxy (fins are ply and airframe is FG wrapped). Currently with all parts it weighs about 14.5ozs, and it should weigh under 2lbs RTF. Motors simmed are every thing between a F40 and a J570.

Any recommended non-flourescent oranges, so far I have seen two that I kind of like Husquvarna Orange, and the Hyundai Veloster Orange, but other input would be welcome.
View attachment 332809View attachment 332810View attachment 332811

I’m partial to the rustoleum 2x Gloss Real Orange. Look at just about any build threads I’ve started and it will likely have that orange in it... [emoji6]

IMG_0013.jpg

I’ve also bought some british paints gloss Electric Orange that I’ll be using on my current build.

Back