What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vacuum chamber tested 6 altimeters to verify they worked properly, 4 Eggtimer Quarks and an Eggtimer Quantum, and a Jolly Logic Alt3. The Jolly Logic I need to mess with more as it didn't seem to get a launch detect possibly due to the accelerometers having no data as the unit was motionless and it has both accels and baro sensors.

Bad day for the new Trajector. An Estes F motor totally blew up. Total carnage. Will Estes cover this under their 1yr warranty?

Yes, they should replace the rocket, engine and retainer. They are really good about this.
Be sure to fill out the report (MES or something) on that engine at NAR website. (I think)
Sorry to see your work go up in flames. I take it the loss of the tip of the nose cone was from blow through?

Yes, they should replace the rocket, engine and retainer. They are really good about this.
Be sure to fill out the report (MES or something) on that engine at NAR website. (I think)
Sorry to see your work go up in flames. I take it the loss of the tip of the nose cone was from blow through?
Probably dug into the ground, that's how my Majestic broke off.

I buttoned up a rocket I have been building out of stuff I had in boxes. 54mm phenolic, minimum diameter, left over glass vk nose cone, four fins made from 1/16" balsa cores with carbon over them. Tradition dual deploy by RRC2+ with antizipper coupler. Kevlar harness with 9" drogue to 30" thin mill top flight. Dry weight 2.5 pounds. Loaded 4 pounds 2 ounces on an Aerotech i65. Motor friction fit with aluminum tape retention. Paint not done, but I do not care much about paint. Should do right about 7200'. Grey is primer. Flying tomorrow at Bong as the winds appear favorable.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1489273104.913930.jpg

No, the nose cone was from the ballistic return to earth on asphalt about 500ft behind me. When the motor blew, it went 45-60 degrees behind us against a mild wind. It was really weird. It was like the motor had 2 stages. It launched and then about 2-3 seconds into the burn, it stalled for .5 - 1.0 second and then fired off again but by then it had already stalled a bit and adjusted the pitch about 45-60 degrees and then went hyper balletic and not ejection. All that kids thought it was cool though.

Sorry for the massive pictures. First time I have posted from my phone. I guess I picked the wrong size.

Built a rocket rack for my low and some mid-power rockets, took about 3 hours and holds 35 rockets. The pegs are 12mm for mini-engine rockets and 18mm and 24mm spent motors can be used to adapt for larger motors, the rockets can go in a bin for transport then can be put on the rack at a launch and the rack can be secured to the table so they don't get blown around and damaged, when not in use the rack accordions closed to reduce space. I also got another coat of primer on the Big Daddy, FG Mini-Frenzy, and the Cowabunga. All that in addition to the altimeter testing earlier today.

RocketRack1.jpgRocketRack2.jpgRocketRack3.jpg

Colder and wetter today, so no painting. However, I was able to fillet the rear CR, add the retainer, drill and tap rail button holes, and sand the second round of filler on the Madcow Sea Wolf. I also started prepping the nose cone to add a pound or two of needed lead weight. Getting close to being able to put primer on it.

Sea Wolf paint ready.jpg

13 mm diameter (BT-5) rocket.
13 mm motor.

Most of it was done yesterday and it's still in progress.

Does anyone know how I can make it look aged?

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

Awesome Steampunk rocket! For aging, get some artists oils (Burnt Sienna and some kind of Green) and some Turpenoid. With a fine tip brush, just dot specific areas with the paint, then go back with another brush dipped in the Turpenoid and drag it through the raw oil paint in the direction of airflow. You can easily wipe away excess with a Q-tip dipped in the Turpenoid. Seal it all with a clear coat of your choice. Here's an HO train car done with the same technique:
Final_Weathering_ADM_Hopper.jpg

I sanded primer on a Semroc Trident, epoxied the motor mount on an Estes Trajector, and prepped an Estes 220 Swift, Star Trooper, and Alpha III for paint, but it's too cold, wet, and windy for paint today. If I don't go to the R/C field today I may get the Trajector to the point of primer/paint and get a start on my replacement Big Daddy.

Awesome Steampunk rocket! For aging, get some artists oils (Burnt Sienna and some kind of Green) and some Turpenoid. With a fine tip brush, just dot specific areas with the paint, then go back with another brush dipped in the Turpenoid and drag it through the raw oil paint in the direction of airflow. You can easily wipe away excess with a Q-tip dipped in the Turpenoid. Seal it all with a clear coat of your choice. Here's an HO train car done with the same technique:
View attachment 314491

Thanks!

The train car looks amazing.

I buttoned up a rocket I have been building out of stuff I had in boxes. 54mm phenolic, minimum diameter, left over glass vk nose cone, four fins made from 1/16" balsa cores with carbon over them. Tradition dual deploy by RRC2+ with antizipper coupler. Kevlar harness with 9" drogue to 30" thin mill top flight. Dry weight 2.5 pounds. Loaded 4 pounds 2 ounces on an Aerotech i65. Motor friction fit with aluminum tape retention. Paint not done, but I do not care much about paint. Should do right about 7200'. Grey is primer. Flying tomorrow at Bong as the winds appear favorable.

View attachment 314389

I flew this rocket this morning to 7490'. The i65 is a fun motor in the right ride.

13 mm diameter (BT-5) rocket.
13 mm motor.

Most of it was done yesterday and it's still in progress.

Does anyone know how I can make it look aged?

Update: Some more progress. Also, typing is weird with CA encrusted fingers.

The last picture is of the simulated pipe hangers. The launch lugs are the two loops of wire simulated pipe.

If the surroundings didn't make it evident, I got kicked out of the kitchen.

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

The last picture is of the simulated pipe hangers. The launch lugs are the two loops of wire simulated pipe.

Dude, that is SOME good steampunking there. Not my thing, but you did awesome work.

Started on a nose cone avBay for the 5 in Jart so i can fly it on a plugged motor.

Kenny

1489374526610.jpg

1489374536582.jpg

1489374546383.jpg

Successfully flew "The Rainbow Connection" Saturday night on an I245G reload.

motor end.jpg
tube fin lights.jpg
prepping.jpg
I245G.jpg
lit 1.jpg
lit 2.jpg

Next flight will be at the upcoming NSL in New Mexico.

Last edited:

Wow - lots of work there. Looks great

Estes support rocks. I sent them an email with some pics last night and by noon today they had already processed a warranty claim and are shipping a new rocket and motor. Should be here in a week or so. At least I get more practice with epoxy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back