What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Primed a second coast on the Tomahawk, got a base coat of yellow on the Reactor, waiting for the Troika and V2 to be ready for second colors...

1428534020309.jpg

While I was sleeping, and sometimes being awakened by my Dog and Cats, I managed to design in my head, a 2x29mm Cluster that necks down to a BT-55 immidiately after the MMT.

ETA: Sadly, as I feared would be the case, Openrocket will not allow me to sim this, as it assumes that the Transition is round instead of flat on the sides, and will not let me place fins on the Motor Tubes, or shroud said tubes in FG Cloth, as will be necessary to properly assemble this beast.
Looks like this one will be Mindsim only, and I'll just have to incorporate an AV Bay to record Data to add to my Mindsim Database.

29mm Cluster 2015-04-08 001.jpg

Last edited:
Last night, while watching season 1 episodes (again) of X-Files, I glued the rest of the fins on Noctua & assembled the upper body tube, and reattached the offending fin for my BT80 Ranger. Oh, and painted the Orbital Interceptor.

Got some Retainers and FG Cloth in the mail. Then I put some PC Superpoxy fillets on my Eggspress Clone.
I don't normally like fillets, but they are appropriate on this model.

Todays Things 2015-04-09 001.jpgTodays Things 2015-04-09 002.jpg

Went shopping for some rattle cans. I've come to the realization that neither Wallyworld nor Cambodian Tire have good selections of Rustoleum paint.....but both have outstanding selections of Krylon. So I purchased two cans of Krylon Colormaster Paint+Primer as that was what was in abundance by the absolute hundreds....one can of dark grey and one of light grey, both gloss. My plan is to paint the lower fins and BT of my Harpoon in light grey and the remainder in dark grey....much like the pics of the ship launched missiles....with the booster stage being a light grey. Hope this paint works out all right :confused2:.

Wayne and I went shopping for conduit to make a 10' tower

wayne%20rolling%20conduit.jpg

It would be a bad joke if the floors in those stores were not flat. :)

- Roger

It would be a bad joke if the floors in those stores were not flat. :)

- Roger

Reminds me of me at Michael's sorting thru 10 sheets of 1/4 inch ply to find the straightest one. LOL

(or at Lowe's trying to find the best piece of SonoTube).

Applied my first coat of Krylon paint/primer this evening.....more sanding to do tomorrow then hopefully another coat if the weather holds.

Soldered together my fifth Eggfinder TX today. I was nervous because of the failed attempt at a TRS, but once again all the lights lit up correctly and the new unit got GPS lock in about two minutes.
The conduit Sharon got a picture of is for my tower, which is currently only 6 ft. long. I need 10 ft. to safely launch my CF Mongoose 75 on an L395. I will still need a pretty calm day to send it up.

Last edited:
Worked some more on the fin shape of an Open Rocket White Shark shaped rocket.

Used Openrockets "Photostudio" Tool to create some great Pics' of Rockets behaving badly.:)

"Look Out Below!!!"
LOOK OUT BELOW!!!.jpg

"Eggs On The Meadow"
Eggs on the Meadow..jpg

Set up my electronics bay with everything except black powder and e matches (and cleaned out my charge wells from last month )

Started an "OFFICIAL Openrocket Photostudio Gallery" in the Electronics and Software Section.
Please feel free to add any of your creations if you are so inclined.
I've seen that some folks here are quite talented with this Tool for OR and can create some impressive graphic renderings of models.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ket-Photostudio-Gallery&p=1444885#post1444885

Also dry fitted everything for my D-Region T-Hawk now that the MMT is put together. I used a piece of stock BMS Tube to replace the MMT that came with the Kit so that I could lengthen it enough to use a regular Estes 24mm Screw-on Retainer. Now I can fly any 24mm Motor.:)

D-Region Tomahawk New Estes 2015-04-09 005.jpg

Last edited:
Received my Micro-Buttons from Rail-Buttons.com. Kudos to them for a nice product and fast shipping.
Also got my Makerbeam from Amazon, who packaged it poorly and shipped it UPS.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hope UPS goes out of business.

Now I need to find a new place to get Makerbeam.

F%$^&$ Up RAILS 2015-04-10 003.jpgF%$^&$ Up RAILS 2015-04-10 004.jpg

Received my Micro-Buttons from Rail-Buttons.com. Kudos to them for a nice product and fast shipping.
Also got my Makerbeam from Amazon, who packaged it poorly and shipped it UPS.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hope UPS goes out of business.

Now I need to find a new place to get Makerbeam.

View attachment 260582View attachment 260583

Hmm. That sucks, but at least you got something - about an hour ago, I got a phone call from FedEX, saying that they were not going to make the delivery of mine because the package they had was open & empty. It is not that easy to find a way to actually call someone at Amazon, just from surfing their site. But eventually I found how to have them call me and process the refund.

What I learned, though - and this is an important take-away, was that Amazon does not stock or inventory this, its drop shipped from the manufacturer's rep. You can't blame Amazon for poor handling - in fact, the poor packing is Makerbeams's fault (or their warehouse), not Amazon's. Finding another source to purchase through will not likely alleviate the problem. It doesn't help that both UPS & FedEX are having trouble handling it. At least in this scenario, you/we have Amazon to go back to and make it right if the order does run afoul (which looks statistically likely)... I think I'm more likely inclined to buy from Amazon now, just because they can take of it.

Incidentally, I found that they also have the 80/20 2020 beam used for mini buttons, with more reasonable shipping than buying on eBay. I may order both from the big A now just to have some recourse if it arrives damaged.

Last edited:
Hmm. That sucks, but at least you got something - about an hour ago, I got a phone call from FedEX, saying that they were not going to make the delivery of mine because the package they had was open & empty. It is not that easy to find a way to actually call someone at Amazon, just from surfing their site. But eventually I found how to have them call me and process the refund.

What I learned, though - and this is an important take-away, was that Amazon does not stock or inventory this, its drop shipped from the manufacturer's rep. You can't blame Amazon for poor handling - in fact, the poor packing is Makerbeams's fault (or their warehouse), not Amazon's. Finding another source to purchase through will not likely alleviate the problem. It doesn't help that both UPS & FedEX are having trouble handling it. At least in this scenario, you/we have Amazon to go back to and make it right if the order does run afoul (which looks statistically likely)... I think I'm more likely inclined to buy from Amazon now, just because they can take of it.

Incidentally, I found that they also have the 80/20 2020 beam used for mini buttons, with more reasonable shipping than buying on eBay. I may order both from the big A now just to have some recourse if it arrives damaged.

I wonder why Amazon included the part about "Have feedback on how we packaged your order?" part on the packing slip then???

Really 2015-04-10 001.jpg

It is not that easy to find a way to actually call someone at Amazon, just from surfing their site. But eventually I found how to have them call me and process the refund.

There should be a "request RMA" button on your order history page. I've returned a number of items to Amazon and 3rd party sellers this way and I've never had a problem. It auto-generates a UPS packing label, and then you just put it back in the box.

I wonder why Amazon included the part about "Have feedback on how we packaged your order?" part on the packing slip then?

They will forward the feedback to the seller, AND, if they get enough complaints, remove the seller from the site.

Amazon may not be easy to contact in person, but I have found their customer service to be exceptional.

There should be a "request RMA" button on your order history page. I've returned a number of items to Amazon and 3rd party sellers this way and I've never had a problem. It auto-generates a UPS packing label, and then you just put it back in the box.
And that would've sufficed if it weren't for the fact that the item disappeared in transit. Nothing to ship back. That's why I was looking for an alternate means of contacting them, since the standard options didn't account for my situation. But as I said, I found the "contact us" page eventually and had a rep call me. I find it interesting that nowhere (that I could find) does Amazon publish their own phone number. Maybe too many telemarketers... :D

They will forward the feedback to the seller, AND, if they get enough complaints, remove the seller from the site.
Amazon may not be easy to contact in person, but I have found their customer service to be exceptional.

Agreed - its probably that simple. But it also may just be a standard form. But I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't what zanfar stated and that they keep track of the delivery performance of the companies they work with. At the end of the day, its their reputation that they have to protect, even if it isn't their fault. Thus the excellent customer service that we typically see. Like I said before, don't judge Amazon based on these bent beams. If anything, judge them on how they take care of it for you.

I went through all the different options of contacting them, even posted an Item "Review" to get there attention.
Screw them and their Makerbeam Jokes on me!
The thing is obviously "FRAGILE", and UPS obviously exists only to make people appreciate the USPS more.:mad:
Someone suggested a "Chat" Option, but I could not figure out how to get that to be available to me. Even used their Search Function.
I'de LOVE to chat at someone right now.:wink:

Last edited:
I went through all the different options of contacting them, even posted an Item "Review" to get there attention.
Screw them and their Makerbeam Jokes on me!
The thing is obviously "FRAGILE", and UPS obviously exists only to make people appreciate the USPS more.:mad:
Someone suggested a "Chat" Option, but I could not figure out how to get that to be available to me. Even used their Search Function.
I'de LOVE to chat at someone right now.:wink:
Can you try login into your Amazon account and copy-pasting the following URL in your browser: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

This gives me options of Email Phone or Chat.

Back