What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packed 54-1050 and 38-640 Kosdon Fast clones...

Glued in the altimeter bay on my 5.5" Nike Smoke. Going with a single Raven 1 in lieu of the previous redundant system. Let's see if it bites me or not...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404506381.555739.jpg

Last edited:
Nice trick. I was trying to come up with a clever idea for the same problem with my estes viking.

Have at it! I love Aluminum Foil Tape! It's such a great Asset to Model Rocketry!
Here's a Tip, cut the Tape width wise if you have a 2" Roll. This wraps around a BT-5 perfectly with just a little overlap.
Save's you from having to measure things unnecessarily or use anything but Scissors, assuming you know how to cut a perfectly straight Line with them.
I left just the slightest bit of Overhang, so that I could fold it down onto the Rim.

Last edited:
Ground Tested - bumped up the charge a bit as my last main deployment wasn't energetic "enough"

4thGroundTest.jpg

Bulding the fiddly little bits of my Estes Saturn 1b:
14577626034_f5520b14af.jpg

The rest of the project:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefan_e_jones/sets/72157629191246132

Put together an inexpensive kit for my night launch rocket..but mucked it up ...will try again .

20140705_101619.jpg

Kenny

Day one of Beach Blast is in the books. I flew a few rockets including my Behemoth Bertha 75 on the CTI L1410 Skidmark. It is a pretty spectacular motor. Hard to believe that is a 9' tall, 7.5" diameter, 42 pound rocket.

8137 Joe Z's Behemoth Bertha 75 on a CTI L1410 Skidmark.jpg

Stayed up late to start gluing my Sunward Glider together. Used the palm orbital sander to feather the edges ad give it an airfoil...and discovered I had flipped one of the stabilizers and so beveled the wrong side. Flipping it over, I find I have sanded so much that the stabilizer is visibly smaller than it's twin.

Now that I've got the rudder glued on, and the two mismatched stabilizers evenly spaced. And it's time to glue the wings on, at 18 degrees. How to determine this, I'm not sure, but after sanding the root edge, there's not enough room to glue both wings onto the boom. I'm trying to prop one wing up at the right angle and it slid and glued down hogging the whole tops surface of the boom. So now I'm attempting to prop the other wing up and overlapping the original wing's hogging of the surface. It's taking a long time to dry/cure, so we'll see if this thing is reading for tuning later today if it drys. Humidity is going up today.

Made some more 29MM MM rings to fit in to 3 inch tubes

I love that forstner bit so much

Read the forum. Between work and depression, haven't been in the dungeon for almost 4 months.... I know I'd prolly feel better if I went in and did something rocket related, but I just can't get up the gumption to build rockets that I don't have the time or $ to fly.

Got about 80% done on my Super Alpha I got at the Estes Father's Day sale .
Modified it to 24mm with 18mm adapter, made a baffle for it, installed kevlar shock cord and mini rail buttons.
Paint next.

Flew with one of our local clubs at the Jersey Shore, CENJARS. Got in numerous low power flights on what turned out to be a great July day for flying. Only casualty of the day are two loose fins on my Der Red Max when a few of the shroud lines on the chute broke and the rocket came in a little fast. Nothing a little thin CA won't fix. :)

Jim Z

Latest posts

Back