What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the Conduits put on my Martel Airframe and finally decided which Nose Cone to order for it.

TLPMARTELAS37 001.jpg

I was invited to attend a 'Step into Science' night at a Primary school with some rockets :)

Spent a couple of hours talking to lots of very excited kids and their equally excited parents!!

School01.jpg

School02.jpg

I also talked with the Head of Science for a neighboring school and may have an opportunity to help with rockets in their science program!!

Krusty

* Australian Primary School is for years 1 to 6, probably similar to Junior School.

Last edited:
I started on daughters Mega Der Purple Max motor mount tube. Filed a slight notch for kevlar bridal in upper centering ring. Then marked mmt for three fin attachment and laid out kevlar 60/40 to avoid fin lines ..then taped over the fin attachment lines so I would not dribble epoxy there.

Attached bridal with rocket poxy and removed dribbled epoxy by pulling border tape..then retaped and encapsulated the kevlar..then removed tape as I spilled onto it again.

Kenny

1409208347392.jpg

1409208361451.jpg

I started on daughters Mega Der Purple Max motor mount tube. Filed a slight notch for kevlar bridal in upper centering ring. Then marked mmt for three fin attachment and laid out kevlar 60/40 to avoid fin lines ..then taped over the fin attachment lines so I would not dribble epoxy there.

Attached bridal with rocket poxy and removed dribbled epoxy by pulling border tape..then retaped and encapsulated the kevlar..then removed tape as I spilled onto it again.

Kenny

I see in the background that you are using aero marine epoxy. How do you like it? I just bought a whole bunch of it for laminating purposes.

Received this in the mail from EstesBasher: :grin:

14877048500_9f402e68a0_c.jpg

I see in the background that you are using aero marine epoxy. How do you like it? I just bought a whole bunch of it for laminating purposes.

One of the Epoxy guys I know had 'passed' on this and ordered West. I have used West and Proline 4100 and the Proline was just really nice. This is fine for my stuff, and can reload locally without freight.

I have built some Saucers with it and just wrapped my first tube..and has come out decent. the 2:1 mix ratio was good and the bottles are easy to use, I don't miss pumps at all.

Want to get some Carbon Fiber remnants for some tip to tip on another rocket and see how it does there..may even go for a gallon next time.

Kenny

Got the red 29mm rocket pictured above ready for flying this weekend (on a CTI E75 V-max). First thing I did was build it in OpenRocket. Then I realized it needed nose weight -- lots of it. Originally I was going to attach it to the shock cord just under the nose, but then I realized the shoulder for the cone wasn't glued in. I removed it and found the nose to be partly foamed, but there was enough room to slip two large metal quick links in each weighing 21g. (With the 42g of nose weight OR says it has 1.08 cal with an E75 installed.) For larger motors it will require even more nose weight, so instead of glueing the shoulder in place I made it removable, so I can add more weight (assuming I can make it fit) if necessary. (I'm thinking I might modify this rocket in the future to make it longer so less nose weight is required.)

Started ordering parts for my first HPR build.

Filament wound 5:1 Ogive 54mm nose cone ... Check
Featherweight magnetic switch ... Check
Aero Pack tail cone retainer and adapter ... Check
Hiding the evidence from my wife ... Check

Got the red 29mm rocket pictured above ready for flying this weekend (on a CTI E75 V-max). First thing I did was build it in OpenRocket. Then I realized it needed nose weight -- lots of it. Originally I was going to attach it to the shock cord just under the nose, but then I realized the shoulder for the cone wasn't glued in. I removed it and found the nose to be partly foamed, but there was enough room to slip two large metal quick links in each weighing 21g. (With the 42g of nose weight OR says it has 1.08 cal with an E75 installed.) For larger motors it will require even more nose weight, so instead of glueing the shoulder in place I made it removable, so I can add more weight (assuming I can make it fit) if necessary. (I'm thinking I might modify this rocket in the future to make it longer so less nose weight is required.)
I flew that rocket on the G-76-10 to 4850' before it got paint. I just balance them the old school way.( swing test) mean green.jpg

Glued some tubes and thought about recovery, specifically deployment bags.

I flew that rocket on the G-76-10 to 4850' before it got paint. I just balance them the old school way.( swing test) View attachment 182767

So maybe OR is wrong?? I double checked my measurements and everything seems fine. Even printed out a fin template to compare and it was a perfect match. How heavy was your recovery system?

Had an excuse to work from home today, so was able to sign for the HAZ package delivered today :) I have skidmarks ! The motor kind !

Also in the mix are the Metalstorm H170M for my night launches of my Red Alert rocket and Funk Saucer.

Also 'unveiled' the Mega Der Purple Max fins I had been building up from door skin luan, foam, and fiberglass Like the tube wrap..far from perfect..but much nicer than anticipated for a first attempt. When weighed they are only 10% heavier but weigh less than equivalent sized FG fin. Next up make a foam board fin attachment guide and will get this together.

Kenny

1409345833751.jpg

1409345845233.jpg

1409345857497.jpg

1409345867916.jpg

Last edited:
Back