What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished wiring a redundant DD av-bay for my Wildman 4" DarkStar, ready for ground testing this week and first launch April 19... :flyingpig:

I started building a clone of a Lepus, a little sport model from MRI:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/mri/mri3-7208/mri3-7208.htm

I had one of these in the mid 70s, but got rid of it somewhere along the way.

I bought some parts to clone several of these, but this one has an original MPC body tube and an MRI cone from Way Back When.

I need to finish filleting the fins, install the shock cord, and attach the lead weight and screw eye. I hope to fly in on Sunday. I'll give it a nice finish if it comes back.

Also assembled a couple of 29mm motor mounts for ST-20 tubes. One will go in a sort of Willey Ley / Colliers step rocket. The other will go in a 2x Astro-1 clone.

Bought a Porter-Cable 1/4 sheet pad sander as my old Ryobi broke one of the retainer springs. The Porter-Cable springs are MUCH stronger and thicker so the decision was easy. I should point out that the DeWalt model cost $10 more but from a cursory review the only difference was in the color of the plastic housing (double insulated). So what does this have to do with rocketry?

I tried out my new replacement sander on the Goblin 5.5 body tube and eliminated the fiberglass lap seam.

Tomorrow I will pay a visit to the Ryobi service center nearby to see if I can find replacement springs so I can keep the Ryobi pad sander as a spare.

Some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough.

Found out I am going to see the SpaceX-3 launch to the international space station:):):)I can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Just placed an order with one of my favorite vendors, Jonrocket.com. I needed a 50" parachute, and rounded out (pushed it to $40 for free shipping) the order with a Red River Rocketry Stratos. I really like the looks of that one, and with John suspending operations it felt prudent to get it in the build pile.

I got Primer on my Space Arc Jr and Asp-1! The Space Ark JR has been waiting for about 49 months almost to the day since last work for primer.

Last night I put the chrome decals on my Sprint XL, and left it to dry w/ a coat of FutureGreen.

I think the surface is like 65% chrome... shouldn't be visibility problems :D

Read a chapter in High Power Rocketry 2.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Continued drenching a Balsa Nose Cone with Super Thin CA. Absolutely amazing how much the Balsa can absorb.

Found out I am going to see the SpaceX-3 launch to the international space station:):):)I can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
That. Is. So. Cool.

Seriously awesome! I'm jealous:D

Nate

Bought CA as my thick and thin are both now globs in their bottles .

Ordered some WILDMAN stuff, for me and the San Diego guys ..we don't do group hugs, we do group buys.
CaveDuck is chomping at the bit to get his Shredder started and WarnerR needs one more little piece for his Blackhawk 29 and has a Pro29 6XL case on the way for the first flight.

Spent a few minutes on Fyrwrxz daves saucer but vanes/fins are quite right do will do some more fitting and shaping . Also this time clone a template before putting them on. . .

Bought some skewers and will get LOC V2 nose weighted and cg balanced after some bulkheads are cut , mocked up & rebalance rocket. Will try to do HEDR type compartment for cable cutter..will leave shoulder in place.

Kenny

Bought CA as my thick and thin are both now globs in their bottles .
Kenny

Missed you last week :( But not worth it for you and your drive. W at 11:30. Burned some ns with DJ from DJ Dynamics.

Obligatory What I Did Content: Put the third coat of matte white on the Estes Nike-Smoke.

Getting my 'papers' in order for my "Octennial" cardio-cath... :rant:

Realized I needed rail buttons for a few rockets. So I ordered ten sets from railbuttons.com. Promptly found 5 sets in a box of parts, LOL :)

can't have too many.

I worked on my Steppin' Razor II today. It needs a short length of body tube and a coupler to restore the section I removed because of a long zipper. Going to prime and paint before epoxying the replacement section into place. The joint will be concealed under a vinyl decal wrap so it's all good.

Once again I tried jamming the I195 into the CTI 38mm-3G case. No joy. The liner still won't pass the threaded portion of the case even with the grains out so the nozzle won't engage the threads. Silicon spray didn't help not did words of power. Gave up after an hour or so.

Fresh off my frustrating CTI failure, I assembled three Aerotech motors for tomorrow's LUNAR Snow Ranch "bonus" launch. They were an H165R, an H148R, and an I218R. Yes, I do like me some red motors.

The truck is loaded up, the alarm is set (I'm retired and don't usually need an alarm), and tonight I'm going to dream about good ups and soft landings.

Since you have identified the issue as the dented area in the case, why don't you try using a rounded file or a dremel on the inside section where the dents are located. You have nothing to lose as the case is useless unless this is resolved. I love redlines also (especially at night).

Last edited:
Vagabond fix.jpg

Fixing a really bad, paint reaction. Not sure if it was the pearl or the clear, but it looked like Humpty Dumpty when it was all over with. I've NEVER had this happen before...

Read a little in High Power Rocketry 2 again.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Shot my budget yet again on ebay, cause I bought ANOTHER NCR rocket :facepalm: Got a Big Brute. Matt is gonna sign the box for me. :cool: So I'm gonna build the one I already have :horse::dark:
Matt was also selling an Archer XL, stupid thing brought almost $300.00 :y: Shoulda never built mine... Oh well, got my L1 with it years ago.
Anyhow that's my stupid walk in the rocketry world this week.

Adrian

Worked on the decals of my Mega Der Red Max. Just have the nose cone to paint black and decal and it will be done...yea!!!

Primed the Z-Machine. The initial coat shows hardly any nicks or pin holes that need to be filled. It feels good to have some decent painting weather once again. I may just leave this one in primer for the first flight.

I made about 600 10 series airfoil guides...for YOU! haha

I certified level one on a PML 1/4 Patriot using a I364-10 with an adapter for my 54mm mount.

Flew great even in the 15mph wind but landed a LONG ways away, was dragged 50 feet and cracked the cosmetic fillet on one fin. :/ Time to break out the filler then paint the fin section again.

Oh and I lost my camera card as soon as I got home, after looking at them but before copying to my computer. :D Still searching.

Back