What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you thinking of selling the cases you're making for the Eggfinder mini? I'm planning on an Eggfinder in the future and one of your cases will work nicely with my nosecone mods.

Maybe, but only if I can get them to a high standard.

Started making a wish list of LPR parts. I seem to be returning to the LPR side of things lately. Still intend to certify L2 this summer, but there is something to be said for being able to fly in the backyard or a ball field when the urge hits.....

Binder Design Thug is done all except for the clear coat with Future. The Thug vinyl sticker supplied with the kit appeared to be black until I applied it and found out it was actually gray. Oh well, fortunately I'm not a perfectionist.

Edit: After looking at it for a while I decided even though I'm not a perfectionist, I couldn't stand that gray decal. I peeled it off and now it's time for Mark to do some magic for me.

Binder Design Thug.jpg

Last edited:
It is to link onto the shock cord. I wanted to make this swappable between rockets. I'm more likely to use it if it is easy.

One thing I forgot to mention is there are grooves on the inside of the outer BRB case that the sled locks into for extra support.
Sounds great.

My update today: Can't find the Featherweight magnetic switch I bought for on of my 29mm MD rockets. It's here somewhere, I just don't know where. Hunting...

More fun with movie maker. I need to cap off my build thread of my L2 build with some final thoughts on the project, but before I have a chance to do that, here's the video I edited together of my L2 efforts.

[video=youtube;_1YlAIbiR9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YlAIbiR9I[/video]

Nice video and congrats on the L2 nicely done!!

More fun with movie maker. I need to cap off my build thread of my L2 build with some final thoughts on the project, but before I have a chance to do that, here's the video I edited together of my L2 efforts.

[video=youtube;_1YlAIbiR9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YlAIbiR9I[/video]

Awesome video and nice job on the music timing lol. Congrats!

Preparing decal artwork.

attachment.php

helix_decal_upload.png

Finished my Hi-Flier XL.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1495215164.786136.jpg

I hate the peel-and-stick decals that Estes puts in some of their LPR kits; I much prefer water-slide decals. But the water-slides I've used in a number of recent kits have been really frustrating! They have a tendency to roll up on themselves and not want to lay flat. I've built a lot of plastic models over the years and have never had issues like this with any of them.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1495215378.380517.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1495215395.016201.jpg

Finished my Hi-Flier XL.
View attachment 320340

I hate the peel-and-stick decals that Estes puts in some of their LPR kits; I much prefer water-slide decals. But the water-slides I've used in a number of recent kits have been really frustrating! They have a tendency to roll up on themselves and not want to lay flat. I've built a lot of plastic models over the years and have never had issues like this with any of them.
View attachment 320341View attachment 320342

I have found with some of them giving the sheet of decals a heavy coat of Krylon Crystal Clear before putting them on really helps control the tendency to roll up. The clear coat is the same stuff recommended by Bel decal papers for sealing their inkjet and laser decal papers. YMMV.

I have found with some of them giving the sheet of decals a heavy coat of Krylon Crystal Clear before putting them on really helps control the tendency to roll up. The clear coat is the same stuff recommended by Bel decal papers for sealing their inkjet and laser decal papers. YMMV.

Sucks that you should have to pre-treat the decal sheet in order to use them. I think the issue is a result of the manufacturer trying to make them thinner, and now they're too thin. Oh well.

Sucks that you should have to pre-treat the decal sheet in order to use them. I think the issue is a result of the manufacturer trying to make them thinner, and now they're too thin. Oh well.

I agree it does suck to have to mod a pre-made sheet of decals, in the past I have had to just wait for the rolled decal to dry then trim with an xacto if possible, or sometimes a decal solutions like Micro-Sol can help lay the roll down an make it less visible, Micro-Set solution can help with the initial lay down being free of air bubbles.

Cut and sanded the wing for a new 1/2A RG, set the engine pod on a swing-wing 1/2A RG and thought about a different way of actuating the wing swing from what is on the original plan (i.e. simplified). Mounted the Pylon to the booster of an 18mm A-C BG. And formed a wire loop for an upper LL on a Two Minute Egg - I don't have a tower to use, so I'll have to rely on a little bit of luck to be competitive.

Went to a local launch and picked up some Loki goodies. 38/1200 case, a K-1127 and an I-430. This K-1127 makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1495330315.893884.jpg

7 more models ready for paint, 2x Alpha's (1 red and black livery and one red and blue livery), a Mega Mosquito, FatBoy, Nova Payloader, Big Bertha, and an un-named clone.

Not exactly today, but this week Sharon and I have been prepping rockets for the NSL launch in Alamogordo, New Mexico. Yesterday we both finished up building the big 75mm motors. My biggest for this launch is an L1250 Dark Matter in the 75/6400 casing.
085.jpg

Someday I hope to meet Dan Michael, who signs off on this most excellent propellant! Of the thirteen rockets I'm taking, four are flying on DM. I also built an L900 DM in the 75/5120 casing. Sharon built an L995 Red Lightning in the CTI 3 grain casing, and an AT M1297 in the 75/5120 casing.
Today we finished prepping the last of 23 rockets we will be taking to the launch, and staged a photo shoot in the front room:
080.jpg

Starting at the bottom of the pile is an Apogee Aspire clone adapted down to fly an E9-8.
Next up is my scratch built "Kick Asspire", which I built when I finally decided that the Aspire will not go to 1 mile. My Asspire has two flights that I'm happy with, both on G118 blue streaks, to 5691 ft. and 5409 ft. It's next flight will be on a G125 Red Lightning to around the same alt.
The black and blue rocket is a Formula 38, flying on a G106.
Sharon's "Wild Child" on an H115 DM.
"Tommy Two" is our second "D" region Tomahawk, flying on an F35.
My blue and red dual deploy Argent, on another H115 DM. We both love that SU motor.
Sharon's "Dark Jart" modified for dual deploy, on an I170 classic.
My upside down "Reduke", a clone of my L1 rocket "Duke Nukem", on an AT I59 long burn.
My first fiberglass rocket "Darkstar Junior" on an I327 DM.
Sharon's Wildman Interceptor 54, which was a gift from the Wildman himself, as a bribe to get her to write the instructions for it, on an I255 Red Lightning.
My Blackstar Junior, the thinwall version. Flying on an I364 fast Jack.
Sharon's 3" Darkstar, on a K540 Metalstorm.
My 3" Blackstar, also on a K540, in the hopes of a drag race....
My Rocketry Warehouse 4" X-Celerator "Rapiditty" on a K675 Skidmark.
My L3 rocket "Red Tailed Extreme" on the L1250 DM pictured above.
On the left starting at the bottom is Sharon's night Snitch and "Funk Saucer" with lights and an H100. Not sure what the Snitch will fly on, but we have a couple of 18mm AT reloads for it.
The black rocket above them is my 4" Wildman V2 "R2-V2" ready to fly in the mass V2 launch on a K454 Skidmark.
Next up is Sharon's big blue RW Stinger, for it's third flight on an M1297.
Above the "Red tail" on the left is my scratch built 4" Warp Core Breach, with over 600 LED lights, five batteries and an altimeter, on the J520 Skidmark laying just under it.
Sharon's "Jimbo Jart" is next, famous for beating Wildman in a drag race at Airfest. It's flying on a J420, which we adapted down to use a motor to keep it under the waiver.
The Super Jart, a 5" version with a 75mm MMT, and an L995 Red Lightning.
Sharon's "Drunk V2" on an G80. Sharon's entry in the mass V2 launch. There's a story behind this rocket, but you will have to ask Sharon about it.....
Last but not least is my 5" Jart "Jughead". It's modified with a payload tube and uses the coupler for redundant altimeters. My first doughnut avbay, with room for a 4 grain 75mm motor. It's flying on an AT L900 DM.
As many of you may already know, we fly a lot of rockets, over 100 since our season has started last June at LDRS. 178 motors and counting, with a bunch of my 2 stage rockets thrown in. Under ideal conditions, we could possibly fly everything we are taking, but that might be a stretch...

Did our second annual cub scouts launch with 13mm motor mount kits from ASP rocketry and Estes Gnomes. Great flights with only a few mishaps (1 on the roof of the school, 1 hung in a tree, and 1 lawn dart). The kids were very excited, and came back up immediately "Can I launch again?!". Also overheard some kids begging their dad to take them to HobbyTown immediately after the launch to buy more rockets. Definitely a success! I also flew my 6" pyramid rocket on a D12-3 and my Loc Cool Spool on an F-27 to do a demonstration of "larger" motors. Lots of fans of those two rockets. 50 launches overall, with myself as LCO/RSO.

My Vanish 29 (own design) got the final polish and wax today. If the weather holds, I'll fly it next weekend. More info after I fly. :)

IMG_0804.jpg

Also, I finished my Jawstand 1010 launch pad.

IMG_0796.jpg IMG_0789.jpg IMG_0790.jpg

Wow Wayco ... you all are Gear'd up for a Big Launch ...Ks Ls and Ms - Oh My !

That WM V2 is going to haul the proverbial hind quarters on that K ..

Kenny

Wow Wayco ... you all are Gear'd up for a Big Launch ...Ks Ls and Ms - Oh My !

That WM V2 is going to haul the proverbial hind quarters on that K ..

Kenny

You know, Kenny, we are ready to go over there and cause trouble and wreck havoc.....

3 days and counting!

Not exactly today, but this week Sharon and I have been prepping rockets for the NSL launch in Alamogordo, New Mexico. Yesterday we both finished up building the big 75mm motors. My biggest for this launch is an L1250 Dark Matter in the 75/6400 casing.
085.jpg

Someday I hope to meet Dan Michael, who signs off on this most excellent propellant! Of the thirteen rockets I'm taking, four are flying on DM. I also built an L900 DM in the 75/5120 casing. Sharon built an L995 Red Lightning in the CTI 3 grain casing, and an AT M1297 in the 75/5120 casing.
Today we finished prepping the last of 23 rockets we will be taking to the launch, and staged a photo shoot in the front room:
080.jpg

Starting at the bottom of the pile is an Apogee Aspire clone adapted down to fly an E9-8.
Next up is my scratch built "Kick Asspire", which I built when I finally decided that the Aspire will not go to 1 mile. My Asspire has two flights that I'm happy with, both on G118 blue streaks, to 5691 ft. and 5409 ft. It's next flight will be on a G125 Red Lightning to around the same alt.
The black and blue rocket is a Formula 38, flying on a G106.
Sharon's "Wild Child" on an H115 DM.
"Tommy Two" is our second "D" region Tomahawk, flying on an F35.
My blue and red dual deploy Argent, on another H115 DM. We both love that SU motor.
Sharon's "Dark Jart" modified for dual deploy, on an I170 classic.
My upside down "Reduke", a clone of my L1 rocket "Duke Nukem", on an AT I59 long burn.
My first fiberglass rocket "Darkstar Junior" on an I327 DM.
Sharon's Wildman Interceptor 54, which was a gift from the Wildman himself, as a bribe to get her to write the instructions for it, on an I255 Red Lightning.
My Blackstar Junior, the thinwall version. Flying on an I364 fast Jack.
Sharon's 3" Darkstar, on a K540 Metalstorm.
My 3" Blackstar, also on a K540, in the hopes of a drag race....
My Rocketry Warehouse 4" X-Celerator "Rapiditty" on a K675 Skidmark.
My L3 rocket "Red Tailed Extreme" on the L1250 DM pictured above.
On the left starting at the bottom is Sharon's night Snitch and "Funk Saucer" with lights and an H100. Not sure what the Snitch will fly on, but we have a couple of 18mm AT reloads for it.
The black rocket above them is my 4" Wildman V2 "R2-V2" ready to fly in the mass V2 launch on a K454 Skidmark.
Next up is Sharon's big blue RW Stinger, for it's third flight on an M1297.
Above the "Red tail" on the left is my scratch built 4" Warp Core Breach, with over 600 LED lights, five batteries and an altimeter, on the J520 Skidmark laying just under it.
Sharon's "Jimbo Jart" is next, famous for beating Wildman in a drag race at Airfest. It's flying on a J420, which we adapted down to use a motor to keep it under the waiver.
The Super Jart, a 5" version with a 75mm MMT, and an L995 Red Lightning.
Sharon's "Drunk V2" on an G80. Sharon's entry in the mass V2 launch. There's a story behind this rocket, but you will have to ask Sharon about it.....
Last but not least is my 5" Jart "Jughead". It's modified with a payload tube and uses the coupler for redundant altimeters. My first doughnut avbay, with room for a 4 grain 75mm motor. It's flying on an AT L900 DM.
As many of you may already know, we fly a lot of rockets, over 100 since our season has started last June at LDRS. 178 motors and counting, with a bunch of my 2 stage rockets thrown in. Under ideal conditions, we could possibly fly everything we are taking, but that might be a stretch...

Did you fly the L1250DM yet? I want one, but I would like to see a video of it before making a purchase..
Thanks,

Did you fly the L1250DM yet? I want one, but I would like to see a video of it before making a purchase..
Thanks,

I haven't flown one yet, but Sharon (Hardline) flew one in her Stinger in October 2015. A video won't do this motor justice, you have to be there and feel it to get the effect. Her Stinger weighed 17 lbs. and flew to 8600 ft.

You know, Kenny, we are ready to go over there and cause trouble and wreck havoc.....

3 days and counting!

You card carrying , safety minded ..official like..L3 members ..mayhem? (Gasp)

Chanting the oath and doing the dance around the campfire isn't havoc .. Its part of the proper rocket experience ... Confirmed by NASA and SpaceX (they do it..but dont broadcast those trade secrets)

Kenny

Back