What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered goodies from both Uncle Mike's and Balsa Machining. No snow, slow warm-up, it's time to binge build again. Now if it would just rain I could even enjoy flying my creations...*sigh*

Reworked some sims on several rockets for flying at Desert Heat this weekend. I was all set up to fly with TRA/PHX and their huge waiver of 50,000 ft. but the launch was cancelled. Now we are going down to fly with SARA and their 6500 ft. waiver. Most of my stuff would have busted it with the motors I had planned on flying, so I went back and found some smaller loads (and adapters) to keep them under. Good news is that now I can fly Warp Core Breach! J520 Skidmark on a 7.5 lb. night rocket to 2500 ft.
I wear my sunglasses at night for this one.

1- Noticed HOTROC has a launch this weekend
2- Checked the weather (80 deg and clear)...Oh my
3- Verified that someone will be there that is willing to sign my L1 attempt
4- Arranged for on site help with kiddos for said launch
5- Got really excited that I will finaly get to do my L1 cert
6- Dug out rocket, RRC3, etc.
7- Assembled electronics bay and waved the magic magnetic wand
8- FREAKED THE F--- OUT for the next hour becuase no matter what I do I get a low voltage lockout fault
9- Desperately started a thread here asking for help... I really don't want to go motor deploy only, but I will if I have to.
10- Calmed down and got excited again because in two days I get to spend a warm day outside with my boys launching rockets, and I know there is at least one M-motor launch that day too.

Got these and some misc parts delivered yesterday. The Pigasus is for my daughter. The altimeter is for my son's science project.

1396011643071.jpg

The stuff I ordered last night is for this, among other things. I'm looking forward to building this.
Falcon.jpg

I'm at a Standstill right now on my Mid-Power Builds do to needing to get some Materials, so I pulled out one of my Crossfire Kits.
I'm going to use this one as a Testing Platform for the Streamer Recovery System I made for my 24mm Crossfire DX Project.
I'll fly the Streamer on an 18mm C6-5 to get an Idea of how well it works and how visible it is.
Later, I'll paint the Nose Cone and the Tail Section bright Red. It does'nt need to be pretty as it's just for testing out the Streamer.

Last edited:
Finally read the current Sport Rocketry. Bought Krylon and rocket motors at Hobby Lobby. Formed some minor parts for a 1:96 scale Progress rocket. Registered for NSL 2014.

Well, I didn't do this, but thought it was cool.

For hunger awareness teams built "sculptures" used food cans. One company did a shuttle

photo (14).jpg

sorry for it being sideways - it is right side up on my computer

Last edited:
Sent a few dollars to Balsa Machining for tubes to match the cones I ordered from Semroc. Looking at BTH70 x 29mm upscales of Blue Bird Zero, Goblin and Bandit.

After much panic, and lots of good advice from folks here I have everything ready to go for tomorrow. I'm making the 2 hr treck soith to fly with the HOTROCs group for the first time. I will also be attempting my L1 cert there on my newly nose weighted scratch build "Fav'rit 2 B" or if the RSO disapproves or the first try fails, I will be using my newly finished (sans vinyl) Cherokee-I for the attempt. Plan on letting the Estes Nike Smoke off its chain for a G-80 ride since they have an immense farm field to land on. Got a nice assortment of low power for the boys also.

image.jpg image.jpg

Lets hope they look similar tomorrow this time.

After much panic, and lots of good advice from folks here I have everything ready to go for tomorrow. I'm making the 2 hr treck soith to fly with the HOTROCs group for the first time. I will also be attempting my L1 cert there on my newly nose weighted scratch build "Fav'rit 2 B" or if the RSO disapproves or the first try fails, I will be using my newly finished (sans vinyl) Cherokee-I for the attempt. Plan on letting the Estes Nike Smoke off its chain for a G-80 ride since they have an immense farm field to land on. Got a nice assortment of low power for the boys also.

View attachment 167311 View attachment 167312

Lets hope they look similar tomorrow this time.

Nice Cherokee-I. When you go for your attempt, you will undoubtedly follow up with the Cherokee one way or the other. Video and/or launch report is mandatory.

TRF rule. You post a rocket picture before your cert attempt, you must post a range report/launch photo/video.

It's in the by-laws.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This evening I epoxy-ed the motor mount to my Goblin 5.5. I'll need to round the fin tangs because I do make some pretty fillets with my patented popsicle stick method.

Got to fly with the HOTROCs folks today on a beautiful day and an insanely perfect field...freshly plowed, soft, flat farmy goodness. Anyhow, flew "Fav'rit 2 B" on an H242T to 1209 ft. Clean altimeter controlled deploy at apogee with audible motor backup +2 sec. I set it up single deploy since it wasn't going too high. It flirted with the only obstruction on the field, power lines, but missed by 50+ ft. Landing was in soft dirt, and there was no damage...maybe I'll find a scrape after I clean it, but no complaints.

Huge thanks to Robert Vanover for witnessing the attempt, and unbenounst to me was beautifully photographic the flight. He gave me permission to share the pics he took.

The last pic is pf my recovery crew basking in the glow of a successful flight. OK, they were playing in the dirt, but I got my version.

Incidentally the little guy, Casey, named the rocket and chose the paint scheme when he was 2. "Fav'rit 2 B" was the spelling we came up with for his vernacular meaning "that is my favorite"

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The only downside, I got so excited I forgot to use sunscreen...oh the burning.

Got to fly with the HOTROCs folks today on a beautiful day and an insanely perfect field...freshly plowed, soft, flat farmy goodness. Anyhow, flew "Fav'rit 2 B" on an H242T to 1209 ft. Clean altimeter controlled deploy at apogee with audible motor backup +2 sec. I set it up single deploy since it wasn't going too high. It flirted with the only obstruction on the field, power lines, but missed by 50+ ft. Landing was in soft dirt, and there was no damage...maybe I'll find a scrape after I clean it, but no complaints.

Huge thanks to Robert Vanover for witnessing the attempt, and unbenounst to me was beautifully photographic the flight. He gave me permission to share the pics he took.

The last pic is pf my recovery crew basking in the glow of a successful flight. OK, they were playing in the dirt, but I got my version.

Incidentally the little guy, Casey, named the rocket and chose the paint scheme when he was 2. "Fav'rit 2 B" was the spelling we came up with for his vernacular meaning "that is my favorite"

View attachment 167376 View attachment 167377 View attachment 167378 View attachment 167379

The only downside, I got so excited I forgot to use sunscreen...oh the burning.

Congrats on the cert!!! Sounds like it was a beautiful flight!
What altimeter were you using?

Congradulations!!!

Nate

Congratulations on your L1! Those're some great pics!

Later!

--Coop

Last edited:
Personally, I just ordered a few things in preparations for my next build--one I've been looking forward to doing for a long while.

Later!

--Coop

Got these and some misc parts delivered yesterday. The Pigasus is for my daughter. The altimeter is for my son's science project.

If your son is doing the same science project my son is, make sure you secure (tether) that altimeter in some way. I had mine fall from 300' onto tarmac multiple times when the nose cone, or the balsa coupler/bulkhead at the other end of the altimeter bay came loose. (I finally cracked the LCD the fifth time it fell.)

I passed my HAM Technician License exam today. Radio Direction Finding, APRS, and on-board real-time telemetry, here I come!

(34/35 - and I know which one I missed, it was the only question I wasn't 100% sure on, and I waffled on it a bit. Almost changed my answer, should have done so.)

Congrats on the HAM Test!!

I got 2/3 of the internals, 2/3 of the externals, and some bolts glued in for Land Steak, and also started work on a 2 stage crayon rocket. I can't wait for that epoxy to cure... I want to work on it more... :)

Received TWO packages from two different vendors

From 3D Rocketry their new 3" Circulus and from Jon Rockets a DFR Delta IV Heavy and two little Pigasus

Interesting point - one package was due yesterday but got delayed, the other had a promise delivery date of Monday, but also arrived today - so one late and one early

photo (15).jpg

Back