What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contacted the TCRA about taking my HAM radio test at their licensing session on Saturday morning :)

Nate

cool! Which license are you going for Tech or General? (I stopped at Tech myself, although I briefly considered taking the General test cold on the same day to see what would happen.)

Today i received a box of Wildman goodness...

Also started a project for TVs Mark Hayes .

Kenny

1427264371440.jpg

1427264392872.jpg

1427264405553.jpg

cool! Which license are you going for Tech or General? (I stopped at Tech myself, although I briefly considered taking the General test cold on the same day to see what would happen.)

Thanks, I'll be taking it with TCRA in Roselle. I'm planning to just take the technician, since that's all that's required for the BigRedBee tracker, but the guy I've been in contact with invited me to take the general while Im there. Like you say, might take it and see how it goes :)

Nate

Thanks, I'll be taking it with TCRA in Roselle. I'm planning to just take the technician, since that's all that's required for the BigRedBee tracker, but the guy I've been in contact with invited me to take the general while Im there. Like you say, might take it and see how it goes :)

Nate

Sounds good. I took mine at the end of a HAMCRAM sponsered by LARK in Livermore. I used the session as a final review before the test. One of the VECs for the testing session arrived late. By the time I finished the Tech exam, I'd had a long day and was ready to just go home, so I skipped the General. Like you said, it's not really needed for most (all?) rocketry related ham activities. (trackers and what not.)

Good luck on your test!

Seriously awesome. Now you need a Bunsen to complete the team.

Bunsen-Beaker-web.jpg

Thanks! Does give me more ideas....(MEEP!). :)

All sorts of sanding, bondo and primer.:yawn:
I'm about SICK of Rockets right now, but I still have a couple of sets of fins to glass before calling it a day.:eyeroll:

Oh well. Atleast getting to work outside was nice for a change, and I'll be getting caught up on all of the winter builds soon.

Did another fiberglass lay-up this morning .. will try to post pic tomorrow afternoon .

Kenny

Finished epoxying the centering rings on the Madcow Frenzy motor mount and did a quick test fit in the airframe to verify that all the fins and centering rings were in proper alignment. They were.

Epoxied the bulkplate in the October Skies XP nose cone.

Sanded the red Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty on the Polecat Goblin 5.5 and the fin fillets look much better. Laid down another coat of Rusto Filler Primer and it's curing as we speak. The glass wrapped body tube is pretty rough as the weave in the glass cloth although fine appears to have been laid down dry. No gloss whatsoever...so it's going to take a few more coats of filler primer to fill the weave. Fortunately, it's not a long rocket.

Also had lunch today with a real rocket scientist from Aerojet. We talked Molten Lithium and non-stick case linings. :)

I scratch built a rocket for my club's "A Super-Roc" contest coming up this Saturday. I'm hoping for 375 feet. :)

Not really today but over the last few days I've received several things I ordered trying to stockup for LDRS.
First it was my order from Top Flight a nice 36" black and white X-form chute, also a 24' black and neon X-form too. Also in the box were a few sheets of nomex .
Then the Hobbylinc order showed up, inside were two Estes blast off flight packs for my A-C flights.
Also in the package were a bunch of Areotech reloads, mostly F-Gs and some extra Estes Sonic Igniters.
Next on the porch was the Red Arrow Hobbies box it contained a PML Hyrdra. NICE!!
Last but not least a box from Apogee containing a Cesaroni Pro 38 starter pack which is one PRODAT tool (delay drill) two spacers a three grain case and a six grain case.
Also there was an Aeotech delay drill and an AreoPack 38mm retainer,
Some where in there the Mailman brought me a 808 key chain cam. Cool.
Still on the way are some D21su and some D24 18mm reloads as well as some D15 reloads.

Whew, I don't know where I'm going to put all of this stuff.

Thanks for the strap wrench suggestion, Kit. I'll go pick up a set today. (Now I've got 2 stuck forward closures.)

They also work well to open a jar in your kitchen in a manly way (using real tools, grunt) before your wife gets a chance to hit the lid with her palm then twist it off.

-- Roger

I roughed in some fin / vanes last night.. door skin luan for the inexpensive project.

Debating if i am going to glass tube and fins.

Kenny

1427382019581.jpg

Scrubbed a Launch do to the breeze. :(

Also worked up a new Sim to see what would happen by using a different nose cone on my current 24mm MD build. Interesting stuff. :)
I love it when I actually learn something from Sims.:)

Also, glassed the opposite side of the two sets of fins that I glassed yesterday.

Todays Crossfire Visit 004.jpg

Last edited:
Sanded down first primer coat...
IMG_1280.jpg

Glued on the fins...
IMG_1396.jpg

Added the large conduits.
IMG_1427.jpg

I hope to get the smaller ones added by the end of the day.

Got my order from Missileworks! Had a bunch of switches, and some other misc. Hardware.
I recommend the bulkhead sealing well nuts. They seem line they'll work great, and I'm eager to test then out this weekend.

Back