What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started putting together the Warlock. I'm using wood glue instead of epoxy, so I've got some waiting to do between gluing steps. Even so, it should go together fast.

Was all set to fly some rockets after a nearly 2 year long hiatus. Made a quick phone call to the landowner to where I used to fly only to be informed that the land was sold off and the new owners would more than likely not allow us to fly there anymore.:(

Not sure what to do at this point.

Put the Body Tubes onto the MMT, Stuffer Tube, Coupler Assembly for the DRT.:)

DRT ASSEMBLY APR 12th 2015 2015-04-12 002.jpg

Last edited:
I made a couple of avBay lids (4 bulkheads) for my Jumanji clone .

Yesterday went over to WarnerRs and after a nice lunch we did aome eGG stuff. Tested eGGfinders, assembled remote switches and of course Annie came home with a fresh eGG after checking the coop.

Kenny

1428904034816.jpg

1428904052965.jpg

Made the shock cord anchor and shock cord for my MD 24mm Alpha.

MD ALPHA Progress 2015-04-12 001.jpg

Also finished paint on my crossfire rebuild.

Finished Treefire ISX 2015-04-12 004.jpg

Glassed my DRT in 1.5oz. cloth and put a band of 5oz. around the base of the fin can to make it a more rugged thing.

D-Region glassed 2015-04-13 001.jpgD-Region T-Hawk Almost Done 2015-04-13 003.jpg

Last edited:
Over the weekend - and I'm not sure when - I finished up construction of my BT80 upscale Astron Ranger. I built up a coupler/bulkhead to serve as the connector of the upper and lower tubes rather than a noseblock per my original design. There were a few reasons for this, but my official one was that it was lighter... It also bought me little more room for my parachutes and shock cord. the CG is farther aft compared to the model, though, so there must be more weight in glue/epoxy/fin paper than I'd guessed. I'll have to add a little more ballast to the nose to get it to balance proper with 3xE12's in the business end...

I also finished up construction of the Baby Bertha kit I started a few days ago. Its all laid up with filler, yet to be sanded down and smoothed. Soon...

Cleaned the porch this weekend .
When I got home from work today I decided the table was too clean.
So, being it warmed up, I moved some tools out to the porch and started another Fliskit "Rock Star"
I'm going to change up a few things on this one.
One thing I'm doing different is papering the fins.
Also going to be a little different where the "neck" starts.
And maybe some work on the back end mmt??????
Not sure on the theme. . Got Clues? I could use purple pigments again and go with....Deep Purple=Space Truckin
Anywhoo..
The Rock Star is a great flier.
Me other one (Purple Haze) gets flown pretty much every time I fly.
Hasn't let me down yet. Great flights every time.

DSCN2891.JPG

DSCN2889.JPG

Last edited:
Thats a 38mm. retainer that I made, Short BT-60 rocket on the aerotech 38/120 motors or the pro-motors 1 grain. I used some stickers for the RC/cars to tape off for the flames.

I soldered some leads on my switches and glued the switchband on my 4 inch av bay.

Kenny

1428982910113.jpg

1428982920278.jpg

Looked at the bulk plates for an av-bay I'm disassembling so I can lay down a protective coating of epoxy on the plywood.

Measured the length of the motor tube of my L2 Goblin 5.5 and checked the clearance for a 5g 38mm Cesaroni J316 Pink motor.

Last night I applied another coat of light grey to my Harpoon....hoping to mask the bottom fins and BT and apply the darker grey to the remainder today sometime. The colors should match up well with the pics of ship launched missiles. I also glued in the MM and sanded the fins on the Bullpup....think I'll try some filler on these fins this time.

Last edited:
Instead of finishing our taxes, I finished editing a video of last Saturday's NEFAR launch in Bunnell, Florida.

[video=youtube;17JTr9GFkKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17JTr9GFkKQ[/video]

-- Roger

Instead of finishing our taxes, I finished editing a video of last Saturday's NEFAR launch in Bunnell, Florida.

-- Roger

Impressive !!

The video from the quad-copter seems rock-solid steady... except for a few video artifacts. :cool:

Just went to take my Dog for a quick walk into our woods on my logging trails and found one of my "Sacrificial Rockets" on the ground.
Occasionally, I have a rocket that I don't like, so I launch it out into my woods as a sacrifice to the tree gods.

Sadly, the only part I'de actually like to have back is the nose cone, and I could'nt spot that. I'll keep my eyes open when I'm in that area again, but it is black and will be hard to spot.

Woods Rocket 2015-04-14 001.jpg

I've been working hard on getting all my half-finished kits complete, so naturally I received my 2.6" Patriot from Wildman yesterday (back). Also placed and sanded the final fillets on the Quest Quadrunner (front).
20150414_182948.jpg

In an attempt to prevent the fin snapping so common on the Maxi Alpha 3, I put pinholes in the root edges of the fins, and am adding epoxy fillets:
20150414_182911.jpg

Prepped this Rocket by using the shock cord I got out of the rocket I found in my woods earlier today and a nose cone that is less than perfect.
It will ride a C6-5 and land somewhere up near the top on my property, hopefully in a tree.
I tied a 24"x3" strip of orange nylon ripstop into the shock cord for a streamer.
I love launching in my yard without having to worry about getting the rocket back immidiately.
Tree Gods here comes lunch!!!

2015-04-15 001 2015-04-15 001.jpg2015-04-15 001 2015-04-15 002.jpg

Two of my Cats did the final purry-flight checks and gave me their approval:
"Pad looks set and ready!"
I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 001.jpg

"All Systems ready!"
I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 006.jpg

Thanks to my cat-like reflexes I was able to launch with my left hand and snap the Pic' with my right!

I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 010.jpg

I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 010 (2).jpg

I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 011.JPGI GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 012.JPGI GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 014.JPG

The igniter retention plug stayed right on the clothespin. Accidentally perfect?

I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 016.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll use these Pic's to go out into my yard and accurately determine where it landed. I'll stand where I was when I commanded the launch, then use a compass and shoot an Azimuth to the suspected impact site. I'm really good at this since I learned to do it in Iraq.:)

Attachments

• I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 014.jpg
    I GOT THE SHOT!!! 2015-04-15 014.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Finished putting the Fins on my Estes D-Region Tomahawk.
What a shame that they discontinued this Kit.:facepalm:
Can't wait to stuff an F32 in there!

DRT Fins 2015-04-15 001.jpgDRT Fins 2015-04-15 002.jpgDRT Fins 2015-04-15 003.jpg

I received two shipments today by way of Amazon, one via UPS & one by FedEX. By UPS, a package from 80/20:
WP_003110.jpgWP_003111.jpg
You can see the 2nd photo, that they doubled the box, strengthened it. There was some minor damage to the box, but nothing that compromised it. The 2020 rails inside:
WP_003113.jpg

And the other, from Makerbeam:
WP_003109.jpg
The box was a bit bent and crushed. The rails had a small amount of plastic wrapping around them, but had a lot room to flop around inside the box. Clearly, they could learn a lot from 80/20 on how to pack these things. I was not optimistic based on recent events, but the rails inside:
WP_003112.jpg

10mm Makerbeam rails, 1500mm long, both straight. I guess I won the makerbeam lottery today...

Pretty much finished building my Warlock today. It's all glued together, rail guides and motor retainer are epoxied in place with JB Weld, and the only thing left to make it flyable is to rig the recovery gear.

Of course, now the real work begins... Filling, sanding, priming, priming, priming, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, painting, masking, painting, masking, painting...

I haven't really settled on a paint scheme yet. I'm hoping to actually get a satisfactory result on the first try and not have to sand off all my work at some point to start over. I've had to do that on two large rockets in a row, and the Warlock is just too big for that kind of thing.

Back