What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit refresh on Jolly Logic & Featherweight's pages looking for the AltimeterFour and LoRa GPS Tracker. Drank a few Christmas Jack & Cokes since neither were available yet.

Also, I almost pulled the trigger on buying another sport rocket. Almost.

Hit refresh on Jolly Logic & Featherweight's pages looking for the AltimeterFour and LoRa GPS Tracker. Drank a few Christmas Jack & Cokes since neither were available yet.

Also, I almost pulled the trigger on buying another sport rocket. Almost.
Was there a release date for the 4?

Merry Christmas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Managed to get the motor mount and fin set installed on my latest scratch build.

b66phe.jpg

Re-measured and found that the 'excessive' weight (170gm) I removed from my Madcow Patriot needs to be put back. Hate to do it because I planned to fly it with a JLCR. I guess I'll have to learn normal dual deploy.

Re-measured and found that the 'excessive' weight (170gm) I removed from my Madcow Patriot needs to be put back. Hate to do it because I planned to fly it with a JLCR. I guess I'll have to learn normal dual deploy.

Is this the 4" Patriot?

Is this the 4" Patriot?

Yes, the 4" cardboard one.... I put the weight in during the build. Afterward, it seemed like I had put a brick in there. Fiddled with OR, and convinced myself that it wasn't necessary. Today I did the idiot test, measured from CP and guess what, it's fin can heavy without a motor at 1 caliber.....

Yes, the 4" cardboard one.... I put the weight in during the build. Afterward, it seemed like I had put a brick in there. Fiddled with OR, and convinced myself that it wasn't necessary. Today I did the idiot test, measured from CP and guess what, it's fin can heavy without a motor at 1 caliber.....

Ah good, that's a rocket I know about!
I certified on that rocket, so I spent a long time checking it.

What's your simulated CP location?
I noted significant difference between rocksim and OR for its CP, so I ran a model of it through Solidworks' CFD toolbox. I obtained a theoretical CP value of 35.3" from the nosecone tip, balanced it accordingly, and have had great flights on 60% H's to 68% I's.
(I epoxied 6oz in the nose permanently, and have little removable weights to add for bigger motors).

Got to actually work on a rocket today. Repairing the Fissile Missile before starting on the unnamed Partizon.

While working, I'm here watching Ironman, and the escape scene with the Mk I armor stuck in my head. Leaving aside the fact that a human shaped object with rockets in the legs is unstable, I was absentmindedly wondering what kind of motors would get him that airtime. Looked like a ~8s burn time, not sure how much the Mk I armor weighs. Anyone put some thought into this little motor selection exercise?

I starting cleaning the garage, so I can move stuff out there as I clean the house, so I can clean my home office, so I can make room for my workshop, so I can work on a rocket. :)

AV bay finished and will start printing here shortly. 4", redundant electronics on one side, redundant batteries on the other.25530790_10155993064028200_1542733386_o.jpg

Also, did a little painting on my Mach 1 rocketry Portia (See my build thread in high power section) and got most of the Apache portion of the Nike Apache Madcow kit finished. Lowe's sucks for 7" eyebolts, so did a 6" and removed 3/4 inch off the A/V bay... and no, they didn't have any welded bolts at all, Ace did, but only up to 4" and they were pig iron.20171226_140107_resized.jpg20171226_140200.jpg20171226_140307_resized.jpg20171226_140319.jpg

0.1mm layer height, 1800mm/min. I'm printing this one in Ninja Tek's Armadillo. It does not print fast.

Why the really small layer height? It looks like you are using all thread, so it isn't directly load bearing is it? I am sure it will be a beautiful print when complete...does your printer support restart if there is a power glitch?

Why the really small layer height? It looks like you are using all thread, so it isn't directly load bearing is it? I am sure it will be a beautiful print when complete...does your printer support restart if there is a power glitch?

It's the filament, it needs that layer height. :) Trust me, it's REALLY picky, but stronger than any other filament out there, and my work prints a LOT. It's on a 24/7 redundant UPS, so I'm good. Printer is Lulzbot Taz 6. I've done a 348 hour print on it before. :)

It's the filament, it needs that layer height. :) Trust me, it's REALLY picky, but stronger than any other filament out there, and my work prints a LOT. It's on a 24/7 redundant UPS, so I'm good. Printer is Lulzbot Taz 6. I've done a 348 hour print on it before. :)

That is a nice setup. I'm sure it will come out super sweet.

That is a nice setup. I'm sure it will come out super sweet.

Thanks, I've done a few nosecones, transitions and retainers for various projects, this is my first A/V bay. It's a little heavy, at ~9 Oz. so I may try to lighten it up a bit once I see how strong it is. For this rocket (PML) weight isn't an issue...

Launched today! 8 rockets (all low power) with the kids. 16 total launches. All recovered. Big Bertha cracked a fin and is in sick bay now recovering.

Also, did a little painting on my Mach 1 rocketry Portia (See my build thread in high power section) and got most of the Apache portion of the Nike Apache Madcow kit finished. Lowe's sucks for 7" eyebolts, so did a 6" and removed 3/4 inch off the A/V bay... and no, they didn't have any welded bolts at all, Ace did, but only up to 4" and they were pig iron.View attachment 335033View attachment 335034View attachment 335035View attachment 335036
That's a huge eyebolt for that she rocket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

That's a huge eyebolt for that she rocket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Agreed, that's what came with the kit. Final rocket weight will come in around 84-86 Oz. At least the CG will be good! :) I'm in the middle of the Nike Apache Build now as well and went with 1/4" eyebolts there, and it should be 50% heavier. It'll be sturdy for sure!

Laid up 24mm and 29mm CF airframes each 36" long for a couple of MD projects. Maybe before the weekend is over I will have time to turn the nose cones for them.

Not exactly rocketry-related, but --
One of my kids broke his new-for-Christmas RC car (in his defense, the bit that broke is a design-flaw weak spot. But he DID drive it down the stairs and into a steel-faced door.). Took it down to the workshop. Set the pieces together with 5 minute epoxy. Mixed up some epoxy with fumed silica and chopped glass, put a healthy gob on. The car may break again, but it won't break there.

Back