What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally finished my 2.6" Super DX3 . . .

28446339742_1d9d490d8e_o.jpg

More pics here . . . https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?18029-Madcow-DX3-Gallery&p=1606827#post1606827

Shot the final fluoro pink base color on my Madcow Lil Goblin 38mm. Masked off for the metallic black fin can trim using the new-to-me "Platinum" blue painters tape. It's supposed to deliver knife edge sharp delineations. We're going to put it to the test tomorrow.

Supposed to 107 degrees tomorrow so it will be an early morning paint job.

I only had about an hour to do rocket stuff yesterday, as the rest of the day was consumed by building a new front porch/deck with my Son, who would normally rather go play Football with his friends most of the time, so I took advantage of his much needed help.

In that hour, I managed to get the wing/fin sections cut for my 4" Martel AS37.
At 8.3oz. so far, I'm coming in lighter than expected, and it is theoretically possible that when complete, it may weigh the same or just a little more than my TLP kitbash.:)
I once asked if a 4" Martel could be done as a non-L1 weight 29mm build. I was met with much skepticism for even asking. I felt challenged by the skeptics, so here we are two years later with a flying model in development.
The hollow nose cone will house the recovery gear, and a piston of sorts will serve separation duty. This puts my CG where it needs to be without needing much additional nose weight. The rocket will be light enough that the chute' need not be huge. Fins/Wings will likely be removable and replaceable to avoid weighing them down with excessive reinforcement. A foam builder told me to just live with the fact that these types of things will sometimes get damaged, but if you want to keep them light, just accept it. Sounds good to me. There's about 45 cents worth of foam for all four wing/fin pieces, so I can make hundreds if I like.
This morning I am making templates for my foam lathe to turn the boosters for my SA-5, but that only took 5 minutes. I still need to finish the porch/deck, as it will be screened, and serve as a work-space.
Then I need to fix the bathroom floor, but after that, it will be "Game On" as far as builds go.
The ability to turn parts from foam is a game changer. Just completing the lathe has boosted my confidence level to take on any project!:)

MartelFourInch 2016-07-26 001.jpgMartelFourInch 2016-07-25 001.jpgMartelFourInch 2016-07-26 003.jpg

took the written test for Lv2, I passed (36 of 37 correct). next up fly the bird :).
Rex

Yesterday preparing Saturn XII flight noticed that the parachute has very little space. I extended a little body of the rocket.It became heavier perhaps no longer supersonic but who cares? The important thing is to get a good flight and good Onboard video.
P.S. This nose up of Nathan is great.

Last edited:
thanks. I have to wait a month next HPR launch is August 27(Eat Cheese or Fly) so that will give me plenty of time to worry about the rocket :).
Rex

My call sign (KG5ORC) just appeared in the FCC database...Woohoo!

Also I vacuum bagged two layers of CF onto one of my L3 fins last night. Going to have to do them one at a time, or it is too much work for the epoxy pot life.

My call sign (KG5ORC) just appeared in the FCC database...Woohoo!

Also I vacuum bagged two layers of CF onto one of my L3 fins last night. Going to have to do them one at a time, or it is too much work for the epoxy pot life.

Congrats-Kilo Golf 5 Oscar Romeo Charlie

You're Official!

Recently, forum member adrienwapkaplet offered me a bandsaw, so today I went to visit with him and picked it up.
My Son was supposed to help me load it, but he ditched me, yet we were able to get it into my rig without him.
I have wanted a bandsaw for so very long, and now I finally have one! Well, as soon as my Son is here to help me get it out of the truck and into the house.
This will make so many rocketry things so much easier!!! Making templates for things like the guides for my lathe will be no problem now!
Thanks Greg!!!

Band Saw!!! 2016-07-28 001.jpg

:D:D:clap:

Recently, forum member adrienwapkaplet offered me a bandsaw, so today I went to visit with him and picked it up.
My Son was supposed to help me load it, but he ditched me, yet we were able to get it into my rig without him.
I have wanted a bandsaw for so very long, and now I finally have one! Well, as soon as my Son is here to help me get it out of the truck and into the house.
This will make so many rocketry things so much easier!!! Making templates for things like the guides for my lathe will be no problem now!
Thanks Greg!!!

View attachment 297931

:D:D:clap:

I think that motor is of the kind made to last forever. You should have it to work with for years.

Sweet. Lots of good free scores this year. I never see anything useful for rockets getting tossed out at work or nearby (like the wood / foam lots). I don't go by many places were I am likely to see much other than typical residential trash.

I was given a harbor freight band saw several years ago by a buddy that never used it. More suited for cutting wood than anything. Smoother cuts than my scroll saw.

Sweet. Lots of good free scores this year. I never see anything useful for rockets getting tossed out at work or nearby (like the wood / foam lots). I don't go by many places were I am likely to see much other than typical residential trash.

I was given a harbor freight band saw several years ago by a buddy that never used it. More suited for cutting wood than anything. Smoother cuts than my scroll saw.

The Rocket Gods must be smiling upon me, but really it is mostly thanks to the great bunch of folks like you and the other members here that encourage me to keep learning new methods and stuff that really does it.
If all the stuff I got for free was found on the side of the road, but there was no one to share it with or learn from, it would not be worth the effort of getting it.
When I have too much stuff and some of it might not get made into a rocket or a rockety thing, I try to pass it on to those who will do it justice.

Rocketry is the best!

I think that motor is of the kind made to last forever. You should have it to work with for years.

Yes, it is one of those with the heat shielding and all, just like the one I considered as a lathe motor.
I even have a third go if I need it.

Yes, it is one of those with the heat shielding and all, just like the one I considered as a lathe motor.
I even have a third go if I need it.

We had one of those on grandpa's tablesaw, it cut firewood for years. When it wasn't in use for that anymore I made a ratio reduction jack shaft set-up and put it on a old Craftsman rototiller that the 5 horse gas motor that went by the wayside years before. That little motor turned it slow but a 1" tree root would barely slow it down. Tilled my garden for 3 years :)

We had one of those on grandpa's tablesaw, it cut firewood for years. When it wasn't in use for that anymore I made a ratio reduction jack shaft set-up and put it on a old Craftsman rototiller that the 5 horse gas motor that went by the wayside years before. That little motor turned it slow but a 1" tree root would barely slow it down. Tilled my garden for 3 years :)

The last time I visited my Grandpa, he gave me one of these motors, and that one will be going on my Craftsman Drill Press. It's heavy, and bolted to the floor in my laundry room right now, so like the bandsaw I'll need a hand moving it, but once I get to the back it should be a plug and play replacement.
I actually tried to use it as a replacement motor for some other things, but it is simply too powerful.
Too see one of these on the new bandsaw did indeed make me know I had something really special!:)

Back when I was making knives, I used this motor on a cheapo Harbor Freight 4"X32" Benchtop Sander that I had overused and abused. This motor sounded the Death Knell of that poor machine, which was then rendered for parts, some of which are still serving well to this day.

Plan B Lathe 2016-07-14 001.jpg

I love older tools that are made from iron castings. I was born too late to grow up around them, but I really connect with the older stuff, as the workmanship of everything is so much more lifelike than the newer plasticky looking stuff.
when I use an old tool like these, I am forced to reflect on many years of service it has provided to those who came before me, and recognize that it is my Duty to properly care for and maintain said Tool.
These are the American made Tools that made our country great, and if we only built them like we used to, we really could make America great again. Not trying to be political, just stating the facts about the craftsmanship of old Tools.
Everything they make nowadays is designed to fail, as a matter of planned obsolescence. It reflects upon the current status of the Human Condition, Consumerism.
There is a Book I read when I was a kid called FUTURE SHOCK by a gentleman named Alvin Toffler. It pretty much summed up things , and was a good read. It touched on the rise of things like the smartphone and such, and was quite accurate in some of it's theories, yet Alvin is reflected upon nowadays as a "Crack-pot Sociologist" according to my just a few minutes ago google search.
I guess the best interests of "Globalization" see his ideas as a threat to profitability.

Anyhow, I like the older Tools, as they don't feel disposable, and do not render themselves obsolete by their own design.

Last edited:
With this you can do very easily wooden noses of rockets. I tried to drill but this will be much more easily, quickly and accurately. The truth is that machines everything becomes easy and fast. Machine noses, machine for tubes and fins, machine for fuel and ....become professionals :)One day perhaps 3D printers will print rocket with fuel:)Work worthy of the human brain to come up with the rocket. Do not bother with crap to drill straight holes always go curves - this is a job for machines and robots :)

Last edited:
Found a Estes Wizard sim file , looking at 400% upscale for a demo next time church group builds wizards :)

would waking up be considered doing something rocket wise?:kill:

pulled out my o,d PML AMRAAM 2 and prepped it for new paint
sanded and primered my scratch built 429ss
did some filler work and sanding on my scratch built THOY nighthawk( 7-29MM motor mount 4" rocket)
sanded some more
primered some more.
now practicing patience to let the final coat of primer on both the amraam and 429ss sit overnight before final sand and paint.

Just got home from the old flying field and had a great time.Have not been building lately, just too many rockets to fly.....so I decided to bring some of the good old TLP kits :Matra Magic ,Harm and my MIM23A HAWK, plus a bunch of Estes stuff.

While it was calm, I decided to load the Matra Magic (virgin flight) with an AT/SU E30-4.Beautiful arrow straight flight........but no ejection......destroyed !!

Second up, the HAWK on an AT/SU E15-4T , and as usual perfect flight.......but no ejection.......trashed !!

Next up, the HARM on an AT/SU E15-4T ,pretty good flight, started to arch over but good deploy, no damage.Needs an E30 for a faster boost, but at least it survived LOL

The winds picked up ,so I decided not to fly my TLP Sidewinder ,I`ll fly it next time.

Lost a couple of Estes rockets, and finally flew my Estes Laser Lance on a D12-5.............Gone, goodbye, see you later !! That thing has no business flying on Ds LOL

Also broke out the `ole Q Modelling NIKE-X and loaded it with an AT/SU E30.......sweet flight as always.This is such a nice kit, too bad it`s no longer available , although I think I`ll take some measurements and do a scratch build, just in case I get another AT super duper extra long ejection charge LOL

Hope to visit more often !!

Paul T

Paul! Good to get the flight report, sorry about the losses though. That must represent about 0.07% of your fleet. Guess you'll have to build more.

Hope you stroll by more often.

Paul! Good to get the flight report, sorry about the losses though. That must represent about 0.07% of your fleet. Guess you'll have to build more.

Hope you stroll by more often.

I will come back more often ! I think when I get back to building ,TLP kits in particular ,I`ll take it easy on the detailing (it will make it easier when they crash LOL)

Oh yah.....lost the old AT Mirage finally (very very late ejection) This was my first mid power kit I bought when I became a BAR back in 1999.

Take care

Paul T

Went to a different kind of launch today...
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469907663.027730.jpg
...and posted about it on TRF. There, now it's rocket related. :) (and it's the only launch of any kind I've yet been this year... grrr)

Cast 24x 38mm grains for characterization, got some hardware for the test stand, built an Eggtimer Quantum, and submitted my airfest high alt paperwork. Rocket work never ends!!!

Launched 11 rockets today with URRG. Despite some rain, the wind was almost non-existant. Everything I flew dropped into the cleared area around the pads, though several other folks had to chase into the corn. I did make the first flight on my 2.6" Orbital Interceptor on a G88SS, which seemed like a perfect motor for it. Rocksim says 980' for that, but I can't find my altimeter to get verification. I also picked up my new MAC Scorpion kit from Mike Crupe since he was there. Can't wait to build it!

Cast 24x 38mm grains for characterization, got some hardware for the test stand, built an Eggtimer Quantum, and submitted my airfest high alt paperwork. Rocket work never ends!!!
High altitude paperwork? What are you flying? I'll be there Friday afternoon, hope I get to see it.

Got the bandsaw moved into the house with my Son, then went and got a new belt for it.
I'll have to clean her up real nice and do a fair amount of re-working the wiring, and a few other things, but then I'll be using bandsaw tactics on rocketry.
She runs, and would do fine for just cutting stuff, but I might as well get to know her inside and out first, like any decent machine worth knowing.
My very first lathe was given to me by my Grandpa, when I was 18 and had taken up gunsmithing as a hobby first, then as a gun salesman and correspondence course trained gunsmith.
He sure must have thought I was a smart one, because it was only a lathe in definition. In reality it was a box, containing all the parts of a lathe, and not just any lathe, but something that was probably made in the 20's from what I could learn in the Library by doing research.
After about a year, and many conversations on the phone with my Grandpa, I had something of the most hideous aspect, yet it would turn things like trigger assembly retention pins for shotguns or similar simple parts with reasonable certainty and much practice.
I had not learned annealing, hardening, tempering or any real forms of heat treatment yet, so the parts were only made when they were absolutely not going to affect safety in any way, so stuff like firing pins or safety parts I had to say no to making, but when a customer comes in with an old Sears/Stevens/Savage whatever, and there is a No.2 Wooden Pencil retaining the trigger assembly, a call to GPC might yield.... a part in a week, when you can make it from a drill bit or brass nail in a few hours if you are careful....

Anyhow, I'm honored to have the unit and to have it right here not five feet from me to marvel at.
Because all the parts were well made when they were made, the highest cost in cleaning it up will only be some effort and work on my part.

The upper wheel guard has had a rough go at the years, but I suspected the original sizing and dimensions could be found in the lower wheel guard, as I suspect they are typically made from identical castings.

I believe that I can remove the imperfections from the top one, then use the bottom one as a "Control" for what the top one should be.
If I have to skeletonize the top one in places, I will do so in perforations, then add the mass back to the area in lead, covered in carbon fiber, which will all be invisible under a coat of gray paint, like the original supposedly was.

I'm only "Ankle Deep" into the research, but am already blown away by how bandsaws are just as cool as I always thought they were.
With a bandsaw and a drill press, I could build a bandsaw and a drill press in a reasonable enough amount of time that I could give them to someone who would do the same thing with them. Tools that can make tools, or even rudimentary clones of themselves are awesome!

BathroomBasement Repairs 2016-07-30 001.jpg

Other than that, I spent the day at the hardware store and lumber store getting stuff to fix my house.
Too bad my house can't build me a new house.:(
I fit a 4'X8' sheet of 3/4" plywood in the back of my Yukon XL, and someone said "It's really much larger on the inside than it looks from here.", and I totally got a kick out of that, as I'm a Doctor Who fan, but by no means a "Whovian".

Band Saw!!! 2016-07-27 015.jpg Repairs 2016-07-30 001.jpg

Last edited:
High altitude paperwork? What are you flying? I'll be there Friday afternoon, hope I get to see it.

Wildman Falcon and an M2245. Like any project the details are constantly changing as I run out of time to finish things, but however it goes it should be nice and loud. I'm not sure which days I'll get off work yet to attend but this will probably go Saturday or Sunday.

Back