What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been attending Red Glare XVI this weekend in Maryland and having a blast! One of my goals ths weekend was to break 10k or 2 miles for the first time. Today I was able to fly my Giant Leap Rocketry Firestorm 54 on a CTI K260 long burn motor and achieve a new personal best altitude of 14,555 feet! :D

SAM_0910.jpg

Jim Z

Poked holes in the sky today at the LUNAR Snow Ranch "Bonus" launch and spent some time in the Bay Area Rocketry store on wheels. Bought an Aerotech H220T reload, a CTI H120-2G-R Red Lightning reload, a new CTI 38mm 3G case, 6' of 5/16 tubular kevlar. Then unloaded the truck after I got home. Long day and now I'm feeling it.

Painted up 5 rockets, 2 red and 3 white. Still got a bunch in grey, tomorrow looks to be a good day to paint :)

Installed some new cooling mesh in my Arreaux.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397397500.362762.jpg

Also drilled 1/8" vent holes in all my MPR rockets.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397397575.361715.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Yesterday evening I put a couple of coats of florescent green on my clone of an MRI Lepus. It actually has an original MRI cone from 40 years ago, and a piece of MPC body tube. The can spattered a bit, and I really didn't prep the surface right (just some white primer) and I'll likely sand and respray if the model comes back form its first flights.

I also put the decals on a MPC Moon Go from back in the day. I'll put on some Future to protect them . . . again if the model comes back.

Today is a low power launch in Wilsonville, OR. I'm flying a nostalgia lineup:

MRI Lepus clone
MPC Moon Go
Centuri SST Shuttle 1
Estes Meteor Masher (built years ago, but the central tube crumpled; now has coupler stock reinforcing it.)
Semroc Swift (or Rawhide?)
FSI Micron clone
Estes Shuttle Express

I've been attending Red Glare XVI this weekend in Maryland and having a blast! One of my goals ths weekend was to break 10k or 2 miles for the first time. Today I was able to fly my Giant Leap Rocketry Firestorm 54 on a CTI K260 long burn motor and achieve a new personal best altitude of 14,555 feet! :D

View attachment 168828

Jim Z

Congrats! Yesterday looked like the best day to fly at a Red Glare in a long time.

I built the sled, mounted an RRC2+, and wired everything up for the Z-Machine. It all fits in a 6" long 38mm coupler. I need to make some shock cords and this thing will be ready to fly.

I certified level one on a PML 1/4 Patriot using a I364-10 with an adapter for my 54mm mount.

Flew great even in the 15mph wind but landed a LONG ways away, was dragged 50 feet and cracked the cosmetic fillet on one fin. :/ Time to break out the filler then paint the fin section again.

Oh and I lost my camera card as soon as I got home, after looking at them but before copying to my computer. :D Still searching.
Congratulations on the certification!:cheers:

Today... I edited a video from yesterday... Flight of my Giant Leap Vertical Assault on a J1055 at Snow Ranch bonus launch. To the right you'll see John Coker's crayola rocket stack that had an excellent launch a few minutes later.

[video=youtube_share;8sddGpAAuys]https://youtu.be/8sddGpAAuys[/video]

Timro said:
Today... I edited a video from yesterday... Flight of my Giant Leap Vertical Assault on a J1055 at Snow Ranch bonus launch. To the right you'll see John Coker's crayola rocket stack that had an excellent launch a few minutes later.
And to very near right is my pink Bay Area Rocketry 38mm Crayon...not nearly as impressive as the Vertical Assault or John's 8-pack of "Certified Non-Explosive Crayola Rockets".

Walking up to the pads, I was paying too much attention to John's launch structure and started to load up my rocket on Tim's pad. D'oh! We got it sorted out, tho. Nice launch and a beautiful bird, Tim.

Last edited:

View attachment 168828

Jim Z

NICE!!! :w: :w: :cheers:!!! - J

[video=youtube_share;8sddGpAAuys]https://youtu.be/8sddGpAAuys[/video]

Great flight!!!! :w:
Love it!
-J

Ordered some vinyl from Mark. Can't say enough about his willingness to tweak designs, and make semi custom stuff, and still charge the standard price. Who does that? I now will soon have decals for my 2.6" Madcow PAC-3, and my 2.6" bluetube upscale Cherokee-I. He modified the Cherokee decals to incorporate the old Estes logo that was on the original K-47 kit.

And to very near right is my pink Bay Area Rocketry 38mm Crayon...
Nice launch and a beautiful bird, Tim.

Thanks Kit! As I followed the Vertical Assault down, I got the second half of your Crayon from near burnout to apogee deployment in the video. That was a nice redline motor.
Crayon1.pngCrayon2.pngCrayon3.png

View attachment 168828

Jim Z

That was a spectacular flight Jim!

Installed some new cooling mesh in my Arreaux.
View attachment 168844

Also drilled 1/8" vent holes in all my MPR rockets.
View attachment 168845

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Not a bad idea, I am also doing the same on all my new builds, there is an Excel calculator floating around here somewhere...btw love the Arreaux, I have two of them; or one flyable and one in the works as a DD.

I can hear my daughter saying "Where'd it go?" over and over in the background. This was my kid's first HPR launch and flights like yours definitely made an impression.

I spent yesterday trying to get my kid's Estes PSII kits painted for next weekend's launch at Moffett.

I don't have an area outside where I can paint and I'm tired of trying to keep over spray from floating all over the garage, so I made up a little paint booth. I used two 9'x15' drop cloths as the walls. I screwed them to the studs with drywall screws. I also laid a 8'x8' piece of cardboard down on the floor overlapping the cloths by about 12". I cracked the garage door open about 6" and put a fan in the doorway of the booth. It wasn't perfect, but it worked out fairly well.
IMG_1473.jpg

All lined up: Ventris, Argent, and Nike Smoke.
IMG_1475.jpg

It's rocket related. I'm working on an experiment that appeared in one of the Peak of Flight issues on collecting biological samples via a rocket and in particular, the collection of bacteria. I'm targeting one specific type of bacteria and that is coliforms. Given the number of feedlots and farms we have out here, given how dry it has been in the last year, and given the number of days when winds have been in excess of 40mph, there has to be a lot of bacteria aloft. I want to see if any coliforms can be collected above 300ft AGL and I am doing so by using a collection device, devised by the guy who wrote the article and using an agar embedded pad that can be incubated and and provides ease in colony counts. Ultimately, I'd like to use this as a demonstrator to the kids that aside from the coolness of building and flying a rocket, you can conduct experiments like this with it as well...which is cool too!

Put decals on my Estes Der D Max, D powered Red Max haven't launched yet. Still need to clear coat the D Max.Der D Max und Der Red Max.jpg

Recovered from a trip to Red Glare and opened the mail to find my Tripoli L2 card had arrived...:)

I certified level one on a PML 1/4 Patriot using a I364-10 with an adapter for my 54mm mount.

Flew great even in the 15mph wind but landed a LONG ways away, was dragged 50 feet and cracked the cosmetic fillet on one fin. :/ Time to break out the filler then paint the fin section again.

Oh and I lost my camera card as soon as I got home, after looking at them but before copying to my computer. :D Still searching.

Congrats on the L1 !

I certified with the PML Patriot with the AT H250G ... i wish mine had a 54mm mmt for a i165 cStar.

Kenny

Paint and Aluminum Foil Tape.

Oh, and Jeff, I too hope you're doin' ok.

Last edited:
Back