What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the body tube for the nike smoke, wicked CA into the nosecone end, started to prepare the coupler/baffle for it, organized the Creatix paints I have been slowly stockpiling, took stock of my composite motors and organized some building supplies.

I did an ejection test on my Go Devil 29 today with a 0.35g charge. It broke the 300# Kevlar cord near the body tube end -- not near a knot. Oops.

[video=youtube;ocrrBiY4vlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocrrBiY4vlE[/video]

I did an ejection test on my Go Devil 29 today with a 0.35g charge. It broke the 300# Kevlar cord near the body tube end -- not near a knot. Oops.

[video=youtube;ocrrBiY4vlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocrrBiY4vlE[/video]

Did you have shear pins in it? That's a Lot of blackpowder for such a small volume

.35 grams is a lot? That sounds like a good amount. I use .7 grams in a 38mm. I'm wondering how that .35 grams was packed in that vinyl tube. Packed super tight and confined will give you much more bang per grain. Just stick with your method of building charges once you fine tune the amount.

I need to get my Drago project going so I had Wildman ship the Rocketpoxy from my Black Saturday order.

Almost done assembling my 4" Little John. I need to add a few more internal fillets and one more external fillet to complete the fins. Last steps for assembling are adding the rear centering ring, drilling holes for the rail buttons, and sanding down the ridges on the fillets.

Looks like I'll be flying my rocket naked when I go for my Level 1 at Calgary Rocketry Association high power launch in March. We aren't likely going to see temperatures warm enough to paint between now and March 24.

Finally, I need to get the remaining hardware. Any thoughts on rocket casings? Sunward Hobbies has a Cesaroni Pro39 kit that comes with a 3-grain casing, a 6 grain casing, delay kit and spacers for $122. Or, I can just by my 2 grain casing for $37, but I will also need to get the delay tool. I'm not positive I'll ever fly a J, but you never know. I can definitely see flying an I.

Getting ready to try out the new Whiteside Spoilboard Surfacing endmill, I picked a retired sacrificial wasteboard out of the scrap pile. I have, apparently, made a LOT of centering rings.

20180217_143102.png

Does it count as a "barn find" if it is in your own barn? I was digging through some old kits and found what appears to be a Rocket R&D Mercury Redstone. It looks like the main body is 4" diameter or so. It appears the reason it was set aside is because one of the tubes was crushed. The nosecone seems like some kind of hard foam. I'm going to be doing some more digging to see if I can find the instructions. I'm sure I set the instructions aside in an airtight container to read later and for safe keeping. I did some googling after finding it and can find no reference to the kit on the web. Anybody remember this kit or have a built up one?

I cut the body for my PS2 Nike Smoke and prepared a baffle coupler/chute mount point. prep sanded the nose cone, also flat sanded the tip and drilled a hole in the top of the cone and CA glued a 9/32" diameter round balsa to simulate the inlet pipe

Prepped a bunch of rockets for next weekends launch at Eagle Eye. Built two EX motors, a 6 grain 54 and a 4 grain 75. Used up almost all of our "Not Your Wimpy Red" grains in the process. The 54mm motor ended up as an L1345 and the baby M came out to an M1648.

Almost done assembling my 4" Little John. I need to add a few more internal fillets and one more external fillet to complete the fins. Last steps for assembling are adding the rear centering ring, drilling holes for the rail buttons, and sanding down the ridges on the fillets.

Looks like I'll be flying my rocket naked when I go for my Level 1 at Calgary Rocketry Association high power launch in March. We aren't likely going to see temperatures warm enough to paint between now and March 24.

Finally, I need to get the remaining hardware. Any thoughts on rocket casings? Sunward Hobbies has a Cesaroni Pro39 kit that comes with a 3-grain casing, a 6 grain casing, delay kit and spacers for $122. Or, I can just by my 2 grain casing for $37, but I will also need to get the delay tool. I'm not positive I'll ever fly a J, but you never know. I can definitely see flying an I.

It's hard to imagine not getting hooked. I certainly did. If you are on a tight budget, you can always start with the casing and borrow the DAT. I always factor shipping costs in. If the fee is say $20 for shipping, I may as well get the kit. Probably about the same shipping costs. Folks are great about lending cases.

It's hard to imagine not getting hooked. I certainly did. If you are on a tight budget, you can always start with the casing and borrow the DAT. I always factor shipping costs in. If the fee is say $20 for shipping, I may as well get the kit. Probably about the same shipping costs. Folks are great about lending cases.

+1 rocketeers are great about lending a motor if needed (or even just a helping hand) but its usually with the caveat "you blow it up you replace it". If it weren't for the generosity of a member of my local club it might have been another year before I could do my L3 cert, but the loan of a AT 76/5120 complete motor was awesome (never been so nervous on a borrowed piece of equipment in my life, mainly cuz I know the owner had plans for it later that weekend).

My rocketry stuff today was final fillets on the MDRM.

.35 grams is a lot? That sounds like a good amount. I use .7 grams in a 38mm. I'm wondering how that .35 grams was packed in that vinyl tube. Packed super tight and confined will give you much more bang per grain. Just stick with your method of building charges once you fine tune the amount.
It was super tight & definitely confined. Lots of bang. I tried it today with 0.25g in a vinyl glove fingertip and everything went well. I'll mess around with it some more before I fly it.

Other stuff today: Another great high power launch day with Tripoli Vegas. The weather was AMAZING. We introduced a few new families to rocketry. Awesome stuff.

I just worked on cleaning my newly built and drywalled rocket hobby room. Gonna start painting it real soon. Also framed out the understairs pantry door.

HQ says my Madcow Nike-Apache arrived. Scored an Outlander on ebay. Probably paid more than I should have, but I wanted one and they are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Ordered a 7.5" payload section from LOC just for the tube to rebuild Fat Daddy.

You will not regret getting the full setup. I have a similar adapter setup with my Aerotech 38mm motor, and can fly every load from 1 grain through 6. Having that flexibility when shopping motors is great. I have flown mid-H through small J, including my L2 certification flight, using my 38mm setup.

Completed my Estes Cosmic Interceptor with the Accur8 skins.

Various little mistakes in the process but most are "invisible" from 3' away

My third rocket with John's skins - I really like the results

Cosmic Interceptor.jpg

Five BT70 based models either assembled or color coated today.

A MGR-3 Little John, AIM-54 Phoenix, MIM-23B Hawk color coated, and down-scaled Madcow Cowabunga and Moomba assembled and ready for primer. I love cardboard rockets since they go together quick and easy.

Prepped the avbay for my 5" Jart "Jughead" and repacked the main chute. Loaded the M1648 I built yesterday in an old Ellis Mountain snap ring case.
Made up some igniters with ematches, BKNO3 and some other odds and ends...
Did a set of external fillets on "Tweety Bird" using Rocketpoxy. They came out very smooth, with no bubbles!
Yesterday I got an order of Doghouse rocketry charge cups and battery boxes from Binder design. Today I mounted a set of 6 gram cups on the avbay lid for Tweety Bird.

A lot of paint came off my L3 project. Put some back on.

Began an Eggfinder Mini for my small rockets that keep going out of sight.

Shoveled snow.

Made a deal with the wife that will hopefully see me starting an L3 project at the end of this year. My two current projects with 75mm holes are not being built for an L3 cert.

Moved big heavy stuff out of the old garage. Nothing more to do on that house means more time on this house. Eventually rockets.IMG_20180218_120139.jpg

At the advice of the great members here in this forum group, I vented the canted boosters on Big purple so I can fly on C powered engines and have a place for the ejection charge to go.

finished reading 'Ignition!' by John D Clark. highly recommend it for all rocketeers.
Rex

Back