What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built a 24mm motor mount for the Estes Mercury Redstone.

View attachment 298551

Only 3 grams heavier than the kit supplied 18mm. :)

View attachment 298552

The Mercury Redstone is inherently unstable by design, at least by my standards, and you should be sure to recalculate the center of goodness.:wink: Nothing wrong with a little necessary mass. You'll get more hang time from the delay and better altitude anyway, as long as the nose is snug. It is a very draggy and articulate nose, so that has to factor into the aerodynamic calculations.
Three grams in the tail of that bird can be the difference between being able to safely fly C11 motors or not.

That said, I always do Estes 18mm in 24mm as a matter of normal. The rockets themselves can be flown pretty safely in even small parks and land them accurately on streamers.

Last edited:
got my estes cc express in the mail yesterday! got the motor mounts all glued up and now waiting for some plywood to do something a little different with the fins.
and might be getting an eruption kit from mr mailman today,too!
plus some stuff for a minimum diameter 29mm rocket and 38 mm minimum diameter rocket.

The Mercury Redstone is inherently unstable by design, at least by my standards, and you should be sure to recalculate the center of goodness.:wink: Nothing wrong with a little necessary mass. You'll get more hang time from the delay and better altitude anyway, as long as the nose is snug. It is a very draggy and articulate nose, so that has to factor into the aerodynamic calculations.
Three grams in the tail of that bird can be the difference between being able to safely fly C11 motors or not.

That said, I always do Estes 18mm in 24mm as a matter of normal. The rockets themselves can be flown pretty safely in even small parks and land them accurately on streamers.

All good things to consider when modding this one. I'm also going outside the lines by adding a bit of length to the airframe based on Alway's dimensions in Rockets of the World. A nice old post with the calculations can be found here: https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=7759&postcount=6

So I'll have some stability testing to do. :)

And I'm using the Groen wraps: https://www.ariespapermodels.nl/bouwplaten/lmr/ :)

Applied rocket science to home improvement.
The reason my bathroom failed was construction tech. I have eliminated the epic failure. The toilet had been "Repaired" at some point in it's life. I could have just bought a new toilet bowl, but I'm broke like a joke, and why end up with something that is designed to break even if it is new. To heck with that. I improved the broken thing by getting rid of the garbage the folks that sold me the house used to glue it together, then joined it with JB Weld and CF, FG, milled Kevlar and milled CF and FG. That was going to be appropriate, but I then gave it a good sanding to the proper dimensions, and a really sweet layer of the 9oz. glass which is quickly becoming a weight that may have some really cool uses for my sub-level anything rockets. Even the Kevlar, which looks like a bad idea when you add it to a batch of any epoxy, sands away just fine so far with BSI 20 and 15 minute, JB Weld and JB Kwik, and PC Superpoxy. I make batches under 1 ounce, and usually near around the half oz. mark, so you know what scale I'm working at, but the wet out batch for the glass layer on this toilet was 15 cc as measured in a small cup. There was excess epoxy, that I padded off with an old sock. I expect the CF to soak up a little more, so I'll just make a 20 cc batch to be safe, and since this layer will want to be basically a finish layer, I'll only use the milled glass and a little milled Carbon.
The CF needs a top coat and wet out, but I have found that when I want to apply it to 3D objects, it is best to set a layer of 9oz. Thayercraft glass cloth with epoxy containing milled Carbon, Glass and Kevlar, from RobMartinez702.

The 9oz. FG and 6oz. CF cloth was generously given to me by cavecentral, and it is now a knowable fabric.

(Back to Rob):
He sent me some samples of the stuff he is selling now, and I have been incorporating them into every epoxy I ever use.
I have not made any "Technical Evaluations", but I know I'm going to become a paying customer.
I can do JB Weld better than JB Weld, and PC Superpoxy becomes magical too, and the BSI 20 minute stuff sets up nice and fast. It turns all the epoxies to magical substances, and I even made a handle for a small claw hammer that I will be using extensively to build birdhouses. These milled fibers are amazing! The carbon turns the epoxy black, so you can use one layer of glass cloth under one layer of CF for economy.
It makes the CF tack on real nice too when you press it on before adding it's wet out of epoxy. Know I can properly adhere CF to anything, and know that it has a joint that is consisting of the matter it and the substrate are made of, and not just epoxy.

Thanks RobMartinez702!
How appropriate that I made you that set of gussets for your Sparrow. I can do them a whole lot nicer now, thanks to you giving me the opportunity to work with your products!!! I will get around to using them on rockets when my home repairs are complete, but they are good for everything!

Top Toilet 2016-08-09 001.jpgTop Toilet 2016-08-09 002.jpg

ETA: It looks good, but I'm going to let it cure overnight.
cf  toilet repair 2016-08-10 004.jpg

Last edited:
[video=youtube;P5SntJb07kM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5SntJb07kM[/video]
Today I was flying. Аfter launch rocket out of sight. We waited to see parachute 10 minutes. Nothing. The rocket was found using binoculars about 300 meters (1000 ft) from the point of launch. The rocket was found because there was no grass and the wind was very weak.

Last edited:
The fourth fin of my 7.5" V2 project is in the vacuum bag getting it's two layers of CF goodness. This feels like a milestone in the build. Which is good because I have to put it aside for a few weeks and get ready for Airfest.

Finally finished my Estes PS II Phoenix. It didn't turn out as good as I hoped but I learned a couple of lessons from the build...which is good.

phoenix.jpg

I found the gone with the wind Saturn X. Although nearly two weeks it rained onboard camera is undamaged and there are even video! Now uploading it to Youtube :) If someone does not know what happiness is - it is to find lost before two weeks rocket and оnboard video to be okay:)The feeling can not be compared even if I slept with a dozen Hollywood actresses last night :)

[video=youtube;rNrCWEhuagk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNrCWEhuagk[/video]
Enjoy.
P.S.I have disabled ads on the channel but hyenas from google have put a banner.

Last edited:
Ran the launch for my wife's school we flew several Alphas, Vikings and Comet Chasers and one of the students built a Load Star II and a Dr Zooch Sputnik. All were successful up and down flights with a few of the student launching some of the models I had brought with me. As always it was a great time and all the kids and staff enjoyed the rockets.

:clap::w:Got my toilet installed!!!

Might not sound important or rocket related to some folks, as most likely know things or two about home construction and repair, but I only know of guns, ammo, improvised thingamajigs, and metal mechanical items.

I've been fighting through the pain in my back that goes down through the rest of my left side, through some rather unpleasant routes, and I have triumphed, by replacing the joists, sub-floor and floor of my bathroom!
I had to do it on my own, because once the toilet did not work, my so called Son decided that since Nana lives just down the road with her well functioning house, he would too. I don't fault him for it though, as I was once a 15 year old human boy.

Anyhow, now I just need to seal, paint and put the sink and a fan in and other niceties, and that stuff can be done on the safe working surface I've created, so no more standing in the basement to work on things like joists.

Sadly, the rest of the house is collapsing too, but it is only 650 square feet, so I'm thinking I can kick it's ass all by myself, and end up with something I'm proud of.

It's rocket wise because I can't do rockets til' it's done.

the Head 2016-08-12 001.jpg

I finally realized that folks were installing perfectly functioning toilets everyday without carbon fiber and fiberglass, so mine was already way ready to just be installed already.

Last edited:
I edited the contest submission video for my "Roc n Roll" Flying V guitar rocket.

[video=youtube;E3HRke8A5ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HRke8A5ow[/video]

I edited the contest submission video for my "Roc n Roll" Flying V guitar rocket.

[video=youtube;E3HRke8A5ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HRke8A5ow[/video]

That gets my vote for the best and most well thought out planned build I've seen in a long while!

Holy cow!
WOW!

I may be PM'ing you at some point to ask you some questions about build tech. I'm am in awe of the rocket!!!
Best of luck in the build contest, as I have not been following that thread, but you certainly have everything it takes to win any kind of build I've ever seen and then some.:clap::clap::clap:

Great soundtrack for video too!!!! Totally nailed it!!! Kudos!

Flew rockets and took a little video. Here's Alex's L2 flight [YOUTUBE]pPK52pyMDXk[/YOUTUBE]

[video=youtube;iGWr_HBYTFo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGWr_HBYTFo[/video]
[video=youtube;AtUimMHhJr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtUimMHhJr0[/video]
Before I go to work I decided to start the Saturn X. Do not get particularly good flight probably because fuel was recovered but the rocket is absolutely healthy and ready for the next flight.

Last edited:
For lunch hour I launched a Mosquito on an A10 and lost it. Kind of expected. Interesting though that I watched the boost, coast and saw the eject puff, then nothing. Absolutely nothing. Mosquito is as Mosquito does.

I unloaded some Air Conditioners in my warehouse.

The one in the black box looked all messed up- they bashed in the corners so much it's now round! Tell ya what- I'll take it off your hands for you, as maybe I can do something with the insides of it. You won't even have to pay me!

Back