What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally joined back in 1977 and then rejoined over the years several times. When I do go out under the stars with a club, it's been with the Sierra Stargazers at the Magnolia Trailhead Park and Ice House overlook. I have a couple of Stellarvue refractors and a homemade 6" RFT reflector assembled from parts back in the very early 1980's. Am semi-retired from the Cloudy Nights forum under the same userID as here.

Astronomy as a hobby is fairly common among rocketeers.

In rocketry news, I made quite a bit of progress on clearing my two workbenches off to make room for my current rocketry projects (Polecat Aero Goblin and some miscellaneous smaller rockets). Everything has a place and everything is in its place. Yay!

Wow, lots of time has passed since then! I joined in 1988 when Dick Marrasso was president. I've been up to the Peavine Ridge overlook at Ice House a few times. That's a great site for dark skies!

Had an awesome day with one of our local Jersey clubs, CENJARS, doing a series of demo launches, rocket builds, and displays at the annual Wall Township Kids Day. A perfect venue to see the excitement that rocketry brings into the eyes of so many kids, both boys and girls! Hopefully we stimulated a bit of interest in our hobby and we'll see some of these bright faces at one of our upcoming launches. Always very satisfying to pass along the spirit of our great hobby! :)

Jim Z

I originally joined back in 1977 and then rejoined over the years several times. When I do go out under the stars with a club, it's been with the Sierra Stargazers at the Magnolia Trailhead Park and Ice House overlook. I have a couple of Stellarvue refractors and a homemade 6" RFT reflector assembled from parts back in the very early 1980's. Am semi-retired from the Cloudy Nights forum under the same userID as here.

Astronomy as a hobby is fairly common among rocketeers.

In rocketry news, I made quite a bit of progress on clearing my two workbenches off to make room for my current rocketry projects (Polecat Aero Goblin and some miscellaneous smaller rockets). Everything has a place and everything is in its place. Yay!

...what the heck are you guy's talking about, making a trip somewhere to look at stars? What's wrong with the backyard? ;) Yeah, I know, Cali. But I'm not kidding about the backyard. Dark nights I have a great view of the skys. The old WW2 era Bosch & Lombe 7x50's spotted a lot of things back when I was looking for them. About a 60 mile drive from here there's the Boise Astronomical Society's covered scope, I think it's a 12" or something like that. It's on my list of thing I need to do....someday :p

Attended the CMASS launch in Amesbury, MA.

Flew my L2 rocket on an I800 Vmax to an altitude of 1075'
I had both my RRC3 and Raven 3 in it to test the Raven. Unfortunately, the Raven was beeping out that it had no continuity/not upright even though it was in fact upright, and did in fact have continuity. Well, the raven didn't work at all, and was still in 'pre flight' after the rocket landed and it's charged were untouched. Really disappointed as this is supposed to be the altimeter controlling ignition and deployment of the sustainer for my Darkstar Jr. in two weeks...

Speaking of my Darkstar Jr., I did a yes fit of the whole stack on a rail today (the nose cone clears the rail :)) to see if I need a button on the sustainer. Thankfully I don't, which means I can fly the sustainer as a one stage from my tower! Then I flew it on a G185 Vmax as just the booster section with the nose cone in single deploy.

Last edited:
Attended the CMASS launch in Amesbury, MA.

Flew my L2 rocket on an I800 Vmax to an altitude of 1075'
I had both my RRC3 and Raven 3 in it to test the Raven. Unfortunately, the Raven was beeping out that it had no continuity/not upright even though it was in fact upright, and did in fact have continuity. Well, the raven didn't work at all, and was still in 'pre flight' after the rocket landed and it's charged were untouched. Really disappointed as this is supposed to be the altimeter controlling ignition and deployment of the sustainer for my Darkstar Jr. in two weeks...

Speaking of my Darkstar Jr., I did a yes fit of the whole stack on a rail today (the nose cone clears the rail :)) to see if I need a button on the sustainer. Thankfully I don't, which means I can fly the sustainer as a one stage from my tower! Then I flew it on a G185 Vmax as just the booster section with the nose cone in single deploy.

Scratch what I said about the raven post flight. I was just too annoyed with it to care what it was telling me. But I just turned it in again to see what it's last flight altitude was: 1076'. So it recorded the flight. Just didn't fire it's charges...

Scratch built a mini-scale Mean Machine, powered by 13mm Estes. Just needs paint. Streamer recovery.

Launched rockets! Also, witnessed my first land shark...could have done without that.

Did set personal altitude and velocity bests.

Cherokee-I on an AT I366R-14 to 4645 ft and 481 mph.

I know that is pedestrian by many of your standards, but I'm pretty pleased with the flight. Recovered about 300' from pad too.

Last edited:
I made more progress on the Pathfinder. I got the nose cone and transition epoxied to the upper body tube. I also got all 4 fins glued to the booster.

I got all of the fin pieces glued together for the Pigasus. I also glued the razor back onto the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I opened the FLAIL kit and read the instructions. I tried the thin CA trick on a test nose cone end.

Went to Bong Rec area to fly with Tripoli Wisconsin, which is the home club. Flew two rockets.

First up was my Wildchild on a CTI F85 for nice little flight.

Next up was what I am subbing the Formulaman 54. It is a Rocketry Warehouse Formula 54 with upper airframe and electronics bay from my Wildman Junior. Just a nice low and slow on a AT H165 with dual deploy from my oldschool Missileworks RRC2 rev c altimeter to about 1500.

It was a beautiful day that I got to spend flying with some really good friends. Probably the most fun I have had for a day in a couple of years ( outside of time with my Wife and kids).

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411871852.869020.jpg

Mark Koelsch

I took an inventory of my recovery chutes and discovered that I have two 36" elliptical chutes but no 42" chute.

Browsed the FruityChutes webstore and found the 36" IRIS which is at least equivalent to a 42" flat chute. Price $113.
The 42" FruityChutes Classic Elliptical runs $92. I was researching what size chute I'll need to bring an 85oz bird back to the ground safely.

Still have the bug tonight after building, so I started in on my L2 kit. (LOC) just sanded some fins and misc items. Drilled holes for some Kevlar anchors in the engine mount rings and tested the couplers/fit of my electronics bay.

Should have painted Friday :p Wind blew Saturday and Sunday it starts to rain :( Ah, well, work on rockets :) I used Gorilla Glue to put the motor mount/stuffer tube into a 30" full length SEMROC BT55 tube. I made a swab from paper towel on a launch rod and wet the inside of the tube with water and using a stick from the top smeared on a bit of glue where the top ring would wipe it. The other three rings got glue squirted above the ring and the mount inserted. I stood the rocket up so the honey thick Gorilla Glue oozed down to the ring. the damp surface kicks off the reaction and the glue foams and fills then sets up. Kevlar lanyard was already tied to the motor tube and passed through a slot cut in the ring.

If there's a window in the weather where I can paint I'll get photos...grainy as they might be :p

Read posts on TRF 😄

Launching rockets (and missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Went to Bong Rec area to fly with Tripoli Wisconsin, which is the home club. Flew two rockets.

First up was my Wildchild on a CTI F85 for nice little flight.

Next up was what I am subbing the Formulaman 54. It is a Rocketry Warehouse Formula 54 with upper airframe and electronics bay from my Wildman Junior. Just a nice low and slow on a AT H165 with dual deploy from my oldschool Missileworks RRC2 rev c altimeter to about 1500.

It was a beautiful day that I got to spend flying with some really good friends. Probably the most fun I have had for a day in a couple of years ( outside of time with my Wife and kids).

View attachment 185534

Mark Koelsch

Hmmmmm. I like road trips. Wonder how far that is from me in Dubuque? No clubs closer than 1.5 hour drive here 😁

Launching rockets (and missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Hmmmmm. I like road trips. Wonder how far that is from me in Dubuque? No clubs closer than 1.5 hour drive here 😁

It was the site of LDRS 33 a couple months ago. It is near Kenosha, Wisconsin if you want to take a look. Today is the last launch of the year at Bong. If you really want some excitement come to Bong in January or February- snow and cold and rockets.

Mark Koelsch

Flew a few of my rockets for the first time. Here's a video of my Blue Bird Zero.
[video=youtube_share;3h6TTtgYio0]https://youtu.be/3h6TTtgYio0?list=UUsO71XqnnRmwLLFuLHG4C4g[/video]

Last edited:
It was the site of LDRS 33 a couple months ago. It is near Kenosha, Wisconsin if you want to take a look. Today is the last launch of the year at Bong. If you really want some excitement come to Bong in January or February- snow and cold and rockets.

Mark Koelsch

I think I will take a look. Kenosha is only 3 hours or so away

went to the Bong yesterday(Saturday), and flew my 1st CTI motor...once I got a working igniter. apparently I got one of (hopefully) rare duds, anyway flew my upscale goblin on a G57 classic. then I launched my super batray (H148, nice fin whistle), finished out the day with my Quest planet probe. along the way I watched the 'mini magg' drag race, twas a beautiful day for flying rockets.
Rex

The quest for an appropriate passenger/payload in my new cluster-engine "Scrambler" continues.
Yard Sale Items 004.jpg
These guys were rejected: Out of shape, and wouldn't fit.
Does anyone recall what these stretch laytex hand puppets were called back in the day?

Cleaning the work bench is such a pain and a bummer. You start digging down into the pile(s) and find stuff you knew you had, but could not find when you needed it. Then there are all of the little bits of sandpaper that either need to be sent to the trash or sorted by grit. What to do with all of those odd ball screws, nuts, and washers? When is a scrap of balsa really trash? Zip lock bags, clear, pink, anti-static gray and all of those different sizes. Time to play Pink Floyd - The Wall. AAAAARRRRGGGHH, blam, Blam, BLAM!!!! (just thought you'd like to know) I don't need no clean work bench ...

Last edited:
Back