What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launched at LUNAR today. Successful day! Three up, three down. No damage, perfect flights on all. Two H's, one G.

LUNAR Snow Ranch was near perfect weather. Great full crowd. We got 6 rockets up and only one damaged. Sorry Bill Riley (Worsaer) The Cheetah had it first flight today. It nose dived after a good flight.

I thought the chute release package was too tight to eject. Then I looked at the motor.

The ejection charge never fired. Guess I didn't screw it up. Picked these up from Mike at BAR in April. I'll give Estes a call and see if I can get a replacement. 1202171021.jpg1202171916.jpg1202171917.jpg1202171915.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Got the airframe for the Go Devil 38 jigged up in the mill. Will cut the slots for the fins tomorrow.

It is a shame this won't be completed before my trip to the States in a month. It is the ideal size to put in a suitcase and be able to fly HPR at the other end.

Finished the wiring on another Formula 38 av bay. They'll be ready to fly as soon as I get some 2-56 screws

I also built a GPS module for my Eggfinder Rx LCD. It seemed to work fine inside my office, but the distance reading is a little wonky. I'm guessing it'll fix itself when I take it outside tomorrow.

IMG_4796.jpg

I'm going to redesign my case to contain the GPS. One of these days I'll get around to sharing the stl files for it.

today I woke up kind of early. finished packing my rockets and my gear, drove halfway to the launch site and realized I haven't check launch conditions since last night, turns out launch has been canceled.... doh!!

For now a DeWalt 611 router.

A popular choice.

I got Makita RT0701 -- mostly because it was reported to be a little quieter than the DeWalt. Still, one thing I hadn't really reckoned on was the sustained noise of a router running for 20 or 30 minutes at a time. It is well isolated in my basement, so it is audible but not too obtrusive in the rooms directly above it. Ear protection is required if I am going to work in the shop while it is running. I am collecting parts of an enclosure, both for dust control and noise abatement.

Not sure what I am going to do about the Maslow. The Ridgid router is significantly louder than the Makita, the Maslow cuts a lot more slowly than the Shapeoko, and I cannot think of a practical way to sound proof it without adding significant weight to the sled that carries the router around.

maslowinpieces1.png

Fortunately I've got about 500lbs of sheet goods to move out of the corner where it will live, and the pantograph sled support to build, before I have to worry how loud it will be. A project for Christmas break, maybe.

In the meantime, I did think of something "rocket wise" to do with it

Plywood Teardrop Trailer

In case my kid ever wants to spend the night before a launch camping out in the desert.

Attachments

• maslowinpieces.png
    maslowinpieces.png
    357.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:
A popular choice.

I got Makita RT0701 -- mostly because it was reported to be a little quieter than the DeWalt. Still, one thing I hadn't really reckoned on was the sustained noise of a router running for 20 or 30 minutes at a time. It is well isolated in my basement, so it is audible but not too obtrusive in the rooms directly above it. Ear protection is required if I am going to work in the shop while it is running. I am collecting parts of an enclosure, both for dust control and noise abatement.

Not sure what I am going to do about the Maslow. The Ridgid router is significantly louder than the Makita, the Maslow cuts a lot more slowly than the Shapeoko, and I cannot think of a practical way to sound proof it without adding significant weight to the sled that carries the router around.

View attachment 333419

Fortunately I've got about 500lbs of sheet goods to move out of the corner where it will live, and the pantograph sled support to build, before I have to worry how loud it will be. A project for Christmas break, maybe.

In the meantime, I did think of something "rocket wise" to do with it

Plywood Teardrop Trailer

In case my kid ever wants to spend the night before a launch camping out in the desert.

I already had the router, so easy choice there. I'm sure it isn't going to be the quietest thing, but it won't be running all that often.

The teardrop trailer project looks awesome. If you go forward, it deserves a build thread in the "Ground Support" section, don't you think?

Thanks!! Conditions were perfect, nice and calm.

I saw the good forecast. Wish I could have been there. Between kids' sports and house-crap, I'm not taking near enough advantage of this great flying weather.

Got home from a week long project this afternoon and felt like doing something rocket wise. Tore the motor mount and fins from my Madcow Little John in anticipation of the replacement airframe I ordered Black Friday. Since the damage was in the fin can section, I was able to salvage about 15" of tube that will make a nice payload bay one day...
One of the fins is missing, but I have 3 patterns to make a new one from....

Put a white base coat on Orange Crush, as soon as it dries enough it will get a light sanding to prep for the Orange color coat.

I fired up Illustrator and pounded out a tribal-ish flame-ish paint scheme for my Mouse 38. It's definitely inspired by my Quicksilver paint job (RIP), but still different enough that I think I can avoid calling myself a copycat. I'll use the blue & purple rattle cans that I bought for my daughter's Formula 38.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 10.53.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 10.53.43 PM.png

I thought about doing a marbleized/saran wrap texture to the paint, but we'll see how motivated I am when I shoot it.

Edit: I cut the mask.

IMG_4797.jpg

Edit 2: The Mouse is masked. I'll try to shoot it tomorrow when there's that big glowing orb in the sky.

IMG_4799.jpg

Last edited:
I fired up Illustrator and pounded out a tribal-ish flame-ish paint scheme for my Mouse 38. It's definitely inspired by my Quicksilver paint job (RIP), but still different enough that I think I can avoid calling myself a copycat. I'll use the blue & purple rattle cans that I bought for my daughter's Formula 38.

View attachment 333471 View attachment 333472

I thought about doing a marbleized/saran wrap texture to the paint, but we'll see how motivated I am when I shoot it.

Edit: I cut the mask.

View attachment 333473

Edit 2: The Mouse is masked. I'll try to shoot it tomorrow when there's that big glowing orb in the sky.

View attachment 333475

Swanky.

Cleaned out motor reload casings from the weekend launch... Madcow Nike Apache was on the door this AM at 7:07. After being delayed for two days for "unknown" reasons at the post office. Unboxing here during the lunch break.

It's too windy today to paint my Mouse 38, so I hacked up a mod to my Eggfinder Rx LCD case to fit the new GPS module. My previous one used the rectangular case on the right middle of the attached screenshot. The new one puts the GPS module on the top facing the sky (well, it's on the top if you're looking at the screen and holding the antenna pointing up). I'm printing one now...

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 12.05.53 PM.png

It's too windy today to paint my Mouse 38, so I hacked up a mod to my Eggfinder Rx LCD case to fit the new GPS module. My previous one used the rectangular case on the right middle of the attached screenshot. The new one puts the GPS module on the top facing the sky (well, it's on the top if you're looking at the screen and holding the antenna pointing up). I'm printing one now...

View attachment 333504

Very nice. Does a bluetooth module fit too?

Very nice. Does a bluetooth module fit too?
Thanks. Yeah, you can see it here in the photo of my old case. I just used a Command Strip (removable double sided tape) to stick it to the back of the main Rx board.

IMG_4803.jpg

Got a nice little envelope from the NAR today...

I guess this makes it official now?

I haven't been looking too closely, but I don't see folks wearing these pins. When are we supposed to display decorations? <g>

I saw the good forecast. Wish I could have been there. Between kids' sports and house-crap, I'm not taking near enough advantage of this great flying weather.
I really should have gone for a run Saturday but I couldn't deny the call of the L2.

Printed, tested & tweaked my Eggfinder Rx LCD + GPS case. The screws that hold in the GPS are a little tricky to install, but a long skinny screwdriver works (plus I added some tiny holes on the opposite wall if you want to drill them out for a straight screwdriver run). I have the back cover printed & fit checked. I'll print a new white handle tomorrow and it'll be done.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 11.32.03 PM.png IMG_4807.jpg IMG_4806.jpg

Back