What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a great time launching with the eldest (8) boy today. Near perfect weather, and a two legged rocket recovery vehicle hopped up on hot chocolate...sweet.

Also, distracted me enough I was able to pass up the Wildman sale without getting too shaky...I need more kits like I need another hole in the head.

Yes! ^^^ What he said! It really doesn't get any better than today, especially in November. :smile:

Got on the the old 286 this morning at zero dark thirty. Did a little happy dance, cried a little during the sad dance. did the happy dance again when i realized my wallet was still alive, drank a little coffee, drank a little rum, drank a little coffee and rum, got a refill and, uh, and, uh...what was the question?

Had a great time launching with the eldest (8) boy today. Near perfect weather, and a two legged rocket recovery vehicle hopped up on hot chocolate...sweet.

Also, distracted me enough I was able to pass up the Wildman sale without getting too shaky...I need more kits like I need another hole in the head.

Also, apparently broke me out of rocket build funk too. I just taped off and sprayed primer on the fin can and NC of the L3 V2 project. I better go to bed before something screws this day up.

Started building a mongo gun rack for my wife (means to a rocketry end).

Last edited:

Yes! ^^^ What he said! It really doesn't get any better than today, especially in November. :smile:

Got to fly with Cl(VII), tmacklin, Talon, tab28682, and Fred Garvin ! :)

Another Estes E12 cato ! :(

Last edited:
Today while on a long road trip out of state, I found out that a forum member here paid a small amount towards my bill at Wildman Rocketry for the catostrophe I rang up yesterday!

Even though I have never met this person face to face...only conversed through PM's. I would like to express my gratitude for his actions.

I will keep him nameless but, let it be known that the younger generation today has more going for it than some will ever realize.

Thank-you again. :D Good luck in your future furthering of education in Alabama. ;) If the cards are right maybe I can make to LDRS in 2017 so we can finally meet up! :eek:

I did a lot today and Im pretty excited. Getting the family together again for a Christmas launch so I got some work to do.

I pulled an Initiator out of the closet for repairs. It had a broken fin and the bottom of the bt was creased pretty good. Managed to get the broken fin out, sorta straightened the bt, sanded it and then put a layer of glue on the creased area. Laid some paper over that then primed it and sanded it. Turned out pretty darn good. I ordered a new fin for it.

Im putting some fillets (dont know why, I like seamless transition from fin to bt on the AT kits) on an Aerotech Strong Arm that Ive never flown.

Primed and sanded the fins on an Estes Hi Flier XL that I never finished also. Fillets are drying now.

Ordered the 2 bodytubes, coupler, and nose cone to repair my Gforce that passed away this weekend. I managed to salvage everything else off the carcass.

Soaked and cleaned by AT 24mm and 29mm casings.

Ordered some reloads for the launch. AT G64, E18. I also have some leftover F24 and E18 that I never used.

Last edited:
Finished NARTREK Silver with the last 2 flights needed:

1. 30 second (barely, but it counts,) glider flight, a Tercel on an A3-2T. This one was hanging over my head with 2 previous attempts failing. I picked a perfect moment when the winds were slack, what wind there was anyway. It was a nail biter on that A3.....landing at 30.26 seconds!

2. NARTREK Silver Payload flight on a Magician, D12-5, NAR Competition Payload. Straight and high, I had a bit of a walk to get this one back. The Magician is a good, strong payloader.

Now on to Gold!

This weekend my 8 year old daughter was looking through my rocket cupboard and asked, "Dad, can I just build a rocket from some of these parts?" Of course, I was more than happy to oblige. Here is her "blueprint" and the nearly complete rocket.

IMG_2067.jpg IMG_2069.jpg

I helped her design the fins in Open Rocket so it would be stable, but she did nearly all of the work herself. She even suggested adding nose weight to move the center of gravity forward! (I didn't prompt her on that one at all!) We ended up making the fins bigger. She insisted on swept triangular fins, so I papered them for some added strength.

It has a 2 x 24 mm motor mount. Tonight we are going to put rail buttons on it, so she can launch from "the big pads." I tried to talk her into turning it into a two-stage, but she wasn't having it. Regardless, it should fly really well on anything from 2 x D12's to 2 x F44's.

If only there was a Jr., Jr. Level 1 cert program. I'm a super-proud dad!

Last edited:
Purchased a 3" Punisher and an RTx, really excited about both. First time for me on the Black weekend stuff.
Also planning my 4" Darkstar build acquired from Adrian

Froze my butt off at the MMMSC launch. Didn't try for L2 because it was just too windy.

But I launched my new Terrordactyl on a Loki I316 spitfire; awesome motor, but I broke a fin when the main failed to deploy.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1480815466.210644.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1480815484.281739.jpg

My daughter's scratch-built cluster flew much better on 2 x D12-5's.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1480815536.890852.jpg

On the way home she was playing LIFE on the iPad with her brother and sister and exclaimed "This is worse than real life. I have to be a hairdresser. Astronaut isn't even an option!"

Last edited:
Finally launched the Wildman Demon at the Michiana Rocketry launch in Three Oaks, MI. Both motors were AT J250W DMS. First one, well, you'll see. Second one was great. Low cloud cover, so I kept it low and slow. Missile Works RRC3 recorded 2533'.
https://youtu.be/SS5tnlC25GA

Last edited:
I repaired my Estes Renegade (AKA "The Jinx") for the third time this year. They say that the third time is a charm...we'll see.

IMG_1444.jpgIMG_1443.jpg

Characterized a blue:

JBIzxNPl.png

Froze my butt off at the MMMSC launch. Didn't try for L2 because it was just too windy.

But I launched my new Terrordactyl on a Loki I316 spitfire; awesome motor, but I broke a fin when the main failed to deploy.

View attachment 306632
View attachment 306633

My daughter's scratch-built cluster flew much better on 2 x D12-5's.

View attachment 306634

On the way home she was playing LIFE on the iPad with her brother and sister and exclaimed "This is worse than real life. I have to be a hairdresser. Astronaut isn't even an option!"

Oh no. So sorry to hear about the fin! Such a nice rocket. I hope you can repair and get it back out. Good choice holding off on the cert flight although I'm sure it was hard to do! Finally awesome you have your daughter involved!! My girl loves launching with me and it really makes it special!! Good luck stabilizing that fin!

Oh no. So sorry to hear about the fin! Such a nice rocket. I hope you can repair and get it back out. Good choice holding off on the cert flight although I'm sure it was hard to do! Finally awesome you have your daughter involved!! My girl loves launching with me and it really makes it special!! Good luck stabilizing that fin!

I think the fin will be fine if I glue and clamp it and then reinforce it with glass. I was planning to learn tip-to-tip glassing on my next build. No time like the present to start figuring it out.

Wet sanded a clear coat off that had some serious runs in it on my Strong Arm. Had to mask off all the decals. Didnt get all the imperfections off and now it doesnt look as good. Lesson learned, dont try to paint a clear coat at night with poor lighting.

Back