What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launched 40 rockets with a bunch of kids at a school last Thursday! Golly did they have a ball!! (And hey, I got paid to launch rockets for a morning! How cool is that!!)

And I just joined MARS - Melbourne's newest rocket club!! https://rocket.org.au/ - first launch this coming Saturday :)

Krusty

The "Thunda Down Under 2" sounds like fun! And being almost 2 years out still, I have enough time to save my pennies for an Australian vacation!

I've just about got my CNC router build figured out. Still need to work out the X-axis, Cutting bed and dust collection, but I have a good idea on those...the gantry was the tough part. Soon it will be time to order the hardware...maybe some elves will help out with that. Even if I bail on this project (which I don;t think I will) this will have been a good learning experience.

Picked up some plate aluminum to go with the stainless steel that's being delivered next week. Lunar inherited a large pad from AeroPac, and it needs a little TLC, and a decent blast deflector.

I heard it mentioned several times at the November launch... A lot of folks were asking about the "new" big pad.

I'm working on it. It'll be ready when it's ready.

finally got some of the winter builds i ordered. still have to order parts for the mike herculese(or apache) scratch build

20161117_105537_zpsxpesbnig.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and got started a bit on one of them- a scratch built tube fin.
the mammoth is going to get adifferent set of fins,too.

Got my sensitive press up and running. I can now do all those wire gauge drilling operations I love so much with precision.
I had to fab a belt guard, and the press is missing a few other parts, but it is functional and I can fab those too.

Tonight work 2016-11-17 004.jpg

Finished my Table Saw. I still need to clean up the stand I got today for free on the side of the road, but it is mechanically complete save for setting up the motor and belt, but that is what you do for any machine, so that part goes without having to say it, but in todays world most folks look shocked when they hear about a machine without a motor being called "Completely Operational".
This thing will make rough cutting fins from nearly any material a fairly simple operation.
It will also be essential for building my rocket factory.

Power King 280 Table Saw Complete 2016-11-17 011.jpg
Power King 280 Table Saw Complete 2016-11-17 010.jpg
Power King 280 Table Saw Complete 2016-11-17 006.jpg
Screws 2016-11-17 001.jpg
Power King Done For Now 2016-11-18 001.jpgsquares 2016-11-18 002.jpg

The original blade that came with it I have a special plan for, (The nice folks that sold it to me are getting a Christmas present:hohoho:), and for actual use there are some really great blades on the market nowadays, and it has an arbor that can handle dados, so I'll need a very nice dado set for it.:)

Pretty sure I'll have "Fin Beveling" covered for for the next few thousand years.

Last edited:
Finished paint and decals on 5 of the 6 LPR Estes models I've built over the last two months at work, and made a PVC and dowel display rack.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479510714.917474.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479510731.101572.jpg

Headed out to the in-laws. No room for rockets in the vehicle with the new baby, so only took what could fit in a tub on the hitch carrier.

Prep last night, flight window for a couple hours this afternoon before the weather turns. Happy Holidays, everyone!

1479914192693.jpg

Made a plan of attack for the Black Friday sales going on this weekend. Made a list of stuff I need and want, and when each vendor is having their sale.

My girlfriend doesn't know it, but I bought a Big Daddy to build at work this weekend. :wink:

Attached the talon fins on my Terrordactyl. I'm starting to get excited/nervous about an L2 attempt.

Tomorrow....turkey and filets!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479962295.743207.jpg

So, Wednesday I got this great set of red shorts to wear…..

RL5rU4d.jpg

They are fur lined and quite warm.

So I’ll be a lot more comfortable in the cold.

Might use them Thursday.

Now, I did say I’d probably not ride the bike again the rest of the year.

But these are not for bike riding.

And they’re not actually shorts.

But they looked sort of like shorts when I opened the box.

I put my hands in them, not my legs.

They are a “Mitt”.

qxlzTgP.jpg

Yeah, a transmitter mitt, for flying R/C in cold weather. A couple of years ago I was flying R/C models in cold a number of times. Always a tradeoff over my fingers going numb quickly, or trying to fly with gloves which affected my feel on the sticks and control of the model. I figured to go ahead and get one of these since I will be doing some flying this winter, either practicing or testing some things on my 250 Quad or doing some testing with the Lunar Module Quad when winds are low, and maybe some good opportunities to get good close-up video when the moon is out in daytime.

For the Lunar Module Quadcopter, have the first half of an RTV mold curing now, for the lower leg strut assembly. See thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?137174

JYrOOlz.jpg

Last edited:
happy thanksgiving,all. I hope everyone is having an enjoyable,relaxing day!
here? welp, I got the house to MMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE!!!
and 2 dogs. :)
and decided to break out the estes mammoth and get the motor mount epoxied together.filled the spirals on Bt for tlp Flail, epoxied motor mount for scratch built king kraken, and lookin at the art applewhite pyramid while watching the lions game.

have an awesomely blessed day,all!

Only three things to do on Thanksgiving... Cook, eat, and watch football!

But today, work continues on the blast deflector mount to go on the larger pad donated to LUNAR by Tom R. Thank you Tom.

Just about finished my Secret Santa gift from last year, a Binder Design Thug. Built it heavy with a nosecone tracker bay and 7oz of lead shot weight in the nose, John Coker method. Needs painting which probably won't happen till next spring unless we get a thaw at some point.

Thug.jpg

Inventoried over 200 motors from Estes black powder to AT 98mm N2000. Made a wish list for about 40 more..... Will be up bright and early for Wildman's Black Saturday sale....

Actually took a break rocket wise, to work on my latest addition to what I call my "Popsicle Stick Fleet". Thought I would share my made from scratch popsicle aircraft....

USAF F-22 Falcon Stealth Fighter
USAF SR-71 Blackbird Spy Jet
USAF B-2 Stealth Bomber
US Army CH47 Chinook Helo
USAF E-6 AWACS

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1480134933.198035.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1480134948.381087.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1480134961.525702.jpg

Burnt a little black powder (five A and B flights out of a local high school football field) rather than going black Friday shopping.....

Also made great progress on a PVC-pipe-based tripod launch pad that is adjustable for angle.

joe_cool - you need to move the radome aft of the wing on the E-3 Sentry. The E-6 doesn't have one....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbo...media/File:Boeing_E-3_Sentry_LX-N_90454-3.JPG

I love the Chinook and the B-2!

George - nice to see someone (even Hobby King) is still making transmitter mitts - they sure can help when flying in the winter. I still have a handmade one made by a woman named Kati Kauffman that I've had for many years.

Last edited:
Back