What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glued the MMT into my Jart downscale. Realized as soon as it was in that I forgot the shock cord. Cut a teabag mount from some thin poster board and installed the shock cord.

Still fighting the flu or whatever this is. I slopped epoxy on the rear weld nut for my Broken Arrow 54. Now, I'm going back to bed...

Started building a LOC Precision Warlock for my spring L2 attempt. I have a finished PML Endeavor ready to go, but the Warlock will be easier to keep comfortably under our low club waiver.

Woke up at 2:30am Saturday morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so I built my Estes Fletcher kit. After that was finished I decided to continue working on the Estes Crossfire ISX I started last summer.

Designed the first draft of a paint scheme for my Broken Arrow 54. It's meant to be a son-of-a-Quicksilver paintjob (RIP, Quicksilver). It's different, but similar. Here are screen shots from different rocket roll angles...

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.54.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.54.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.54.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.53.35 AM.png

I might go with something different than red, since my Quicksilver was red & white. I put a fade from bright red to a darker red in the images above. We'll see.

Last edited:
A bit delinquent on posting -

Finished the Semroc Point

The build of the NewWay Higgs Farm is done and needs paint

Clear coating the Accur8 skins for my Cosmic Interceptor

IMG_2942.jpg IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2940.jpg

Took on a restoration task.
At the last club launch a former member donated his stuff to the membership...I inherited an Aerotech Aerobee D.
I noticed upon further examination that there were the remnants of a SU motor in the MMT.
Darn thing was like it was epoxied in.
The fractured remains were an indication of how difficult it had been for the former owner - trying to extract the motor...not much of it left to grab onto.
Normally, I would just insert a broom handle in the forward end of the internal MMT and force it out the back..but this thing had some closed off internal baffle thing way down the front- inside..blocking direct access to the motor from the front end .

The fins were TTW attached to the MMT which complicated things
Today I successfully drilled out the aft FG centering ring....I drilled holes all around the CR inside perimeter to free it.
Unfortunately...I then saw there was a second CR midway into the tube - beyond the reach of my drill bit length.

So I cut the fin can off the airframe just above the baffle, and drilled out the upper CR with the baffle on it.
W/ a small sledge and a chisel, I eventually gutted the interior, extracted the internal parts w/o damaging the internal fin tabs.

Aerobee D.jpg

A D 1.jpg

A D 2.jpg

Last edited:
I made this.

Attachments

• 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 11
Yesterday I made a batch of 38 mm KNSU motors.
IMG_1220.jpg

Today I got sick of the cold and primed a rocket in the garage. 46 deg—We’ll see how that turns out. Then I came in, messed with some of my electronics and repaired an Estes Recruiter that I originally built in the early ‘90’s.
IMG_1226.jpg

Overall, It’s been a good weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Took on a restoration task.
At the last club launch a former member donated his stuff to the membership...I inherited an Aerotech Aerobee D.
I noticed upon further examination that there were the remnants of a SU motor in the MMT.
Darn thing was like it was epoxied in....
So I cut the fin can off the airframe just above the baffle, and drilled out the upper CR with the baffle on it.
W/ a small sledge and a chisel, I eventually gutted the interior, extracted the internal parts w/o damaging the internal fin tabs.

Sounds familiar -- see HERE and HERE

I had to do that very same repair on a rocket -- Aerotech 29mm G80T (I mistyped in the previous post) fused solidly in motor tube. No baffle in my rocket, so I did try to pound it out with a broom handle (a piece of dowel) and a 3 pound sledge. Didn't budge. I went at it with Dremel, power drill, and hammered, and sawed on it. Finally, I cut the fin can off, broke up the motor's case, and peeled the motor tube out of the airframe.

Today I a worked a little on the F360 models for my L2 rocket and did some more painting on the EAC Viper upscale . Learned that Rustoleum Automotive Lacquer will dissolve Rustoleum 2X Painters Touch paint. So, I'll be taping and touching up some parts I thought I'd finished painting.

Today I a worked a little on the F360 models for my L2 rocket and did some more painting on the EAC Viper upscale . Learned that Rustoleum Automotive Lacquer will dissolve Rustoleum 2X Painters Touch paint. So, I'll be taping and touching up some parts I thought I'd finished painting.

2X is an enamel based paint I believe which should never go under a lacquer based. Something chemical about the Lacquer formula's "hotter solvent" or some such business.

I believe the order goes:. Acrylics over Enamels over Lacquers. Never the reverse.

Attached the fins on my Broken Arrow 54. I did the double dip method on them with Proline 4500 epoxy. It formed small fillets on the MMT, but almost none on the inside of the body tube. I'll look at it more once it's dry to decide how much more epoxy it needs in there.

IMG_5902.jpg

Today I (or rather, my dad) secured a launch site for my first rocket. The rocket itself hasn't arrived yet, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be fun.

Today I (or rather, my dad) secured a launch site for my first rocket. The rocket itself hasn't arrived yet, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be fun.

Welcome, and it is absolutely going to be fun. Enjoy, but beware the rocket eating trees.

Been doing some skinning and gluing....
Skins by Accur8 - nice

IMG_2979.jpg

(They say there is more than one way to skin a cat.....
Which really has the feline population frustrated that people keep trying to think of new ways... :facepalm:)
But these skins are nice

The

Built another Eggfinder LCD-GPS module. Tomorrow I will build the new rev. B, LCD module. Such a great system. One box walks me right to my rocket.

Took advantage of the beautiful day, and a day off rom work, to stay the hell out of my shop. But flying season starts soon, so I did interrupt my basking for an hour to stink up the neighborhood with some paint fumes.
SAM_0833.png

Built another Eggfinder LCD with GPS add-on. Mounted everything. Works great. I might have to get one of those BlackAero cases for this single display.0214180424.jpg0214181033.jpg0214181219.jpg0214181220.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Built an Estes Scout & charged avionics batteries for this weekend's Tripoli Vegas launch.

I broke a fin on the Star Orbiter I'm building and then managed to get CA glue all over my fingers....and it's not even 7:30....:facepalm:

Back