What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished painting the V2. Hope you like it!
89a93aad00f1e4898ecc0f5b5c8392ac.jpg

Awesome XFLR6 styling. Any chance seeing it fly in St-Prime next week-end

Unfortunately, I already have familly plans for this weekend... When I fly it, I will try to have a video. The weather forcast is very good this weekend so have a good time in Lac St Jean!

EDIT: Oh yes, we will actually be launching 2 V2s at the same time. The other one was built by a collegue 25 years ago when he was 8 years old! We repaired it some and now we need to see which flies truer ;)

Last edited:
Added a connector for the external "ready" LED on one of my eggtimers. I plan to install an LED to the exterior because there is no way I will be able to hear the buzzer while it is inside the nosecone.
OP tested it successfully.

Applied the final coat of gloss white to my Patriot. I'll wait til Friday to mask and apply gloss red. The packaging shows the BT with a section of yellow below the nose cone. But all the "in the field" launch pics I've seen show only red....no yellow at all. So I'm sticking with red.

Moved one rocket from the active fleet to the retired fleet. The Astron Invader has had one to many 'exciting' flights...

Applied the final coat of gloss white to my Patriot. I'll wait til Friday to mask and apply gloss red. The packaging shows the BT with a section of yellow below the nose cone. But all the "in the field" launch pics I've seen show only red....no yellow at all. So I'm sticking with red.
Mine has some yellow and it adds a nice touch, as well as some work.

Studying many aspects of rocketry to include the continued reading of the Handbook of Model Rocketry, as well as a book on electricity. I'm also shopping for components to build a custom launch controller (enclosures, switches, cable, etc.)

Swing tested a 25 year old Estes V2 that we repared and fitted ready for launch. Passed!

Ordered a 6 foot 1010 rail and miscellaneous other equipment from www.allrocketengines.ca, Pavel provides awesome service!

Finished painting the Ultimate Darkstar. It looks almost as good as my Extreme! Pictures coming soon to my build thread.
We got our order from Dog house Rocketry with more charge cups and battery boxes. I've been making a bunch of avbays!
Also got my Stickershock order in with new vinyl for Sharon's Gizmo XL, the Blackhawk 54, redo on my trusty old Darkstar Jr. and Sharon's Wild Thang!

I cut tubes for a new upscale. Rather than reaching into the archives for something that no one's seen in a while, I'm doing this one based on a current Estes kit that I particularly like - the EPM-010. This version is 167%, going from a BT-50 main tube to a BT-60, so I'm calling it the EPM-016 to tie to the (approx) tube diameter. I already had Mark at Stickershock make up the vinyl for it, so I just have to build it...

Nice extreme 12 Paul! I just started building mine today.

Assembled AV bay for a Super Batray

Watched PBS Nazi Mega Weapons on the V2 and Von Braun, very interesting .

Photos from the last launch. My two year old loves his rocket! Also some amazing footage at 600 foot apogee of the Shuttle Express at deploy on a C6-3. And a nice bottom view of the Super Neon XL.
IMG_6064-small.jpg

IMG_6051-small.jpg

IMG_6047-small.jpg

That's a great photo of deploy on the Shuttle Express and your son looks pretty happy with his rocket!

I did some painting on an Estes Hornet last night. I'd previously primed and painted the body yellow. Last night I started with masking off one fin with masking tape & plastic bags. Next sprayed the fin with a yellow to prevent the black from bleeding through, shot the black and finally peeled off the masking and the painting is done.

20150826_191341 (Large).jpg20150826_191822 (Large).jpg20150826_194606 (Large).jpg

The mailman brought me a present today!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1440717658.260390.jpg

It's the booster tube and fins of a Darkstar Jr!

And while I already have one of these beauties (as a two stage none the less), I decided I wanted more fun.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1440717797.068018.jpg

Minimum diameter booster!

I grew tired of paint seepage whenever I masked and decided to try the much recommended Frogtape. It's a beautiful day and my Patriot is now all masked off and ready for some red. Will post a pic later.

I grew tired of paint seepage whenever I masked and decided to try the much recommended Frogtape. It's a beautiful day and my Patriot is now all masked off and ready for some red. Will post a pic later.

If you mask, then shoot some of the last color, it will "seal" the tape and then you can shoot the new color.

Sanding & sanding & sanding etc. Sanding my JB Weld fillets on my Fire Flyer build... JB Weld, for being the heavy duty epoxy that it is, sands surprisingly well.

Shamelessly copied BEC's motor organizer idea. This will be much easier to keep track of what I have and need, and takes up a whole lot less space than all those motor packs.

20150827_180427.jpg

20150827_202700.jpg

Received 1010 6 foot rail and buttons to convert current rockets and future ones. Now I need to build a stand for the rail.

Started roughing in fins for repairing daughters Mega Der Purple Max I shredded on an H550-ST

Kenny

1440785321314.jpg

Launched my Estes Leviathan for the second time today on an AT F50-6T. Picture perfect flight and recovery.

I was inspired by the motor organisation and moved mine to a plastic box with compartments too.
bc8f3b44db893c4f8d2dc55910740979.jpg

Took my freshly painted Ultimate DS out front for a photo shoot, Sharon brought her Gizmo XL too. We wanted to get pic's of the Stickershock decals we recently applied:
379.jpg

Continued to prep rockets for Airfest, here was the pile this morning:
384.jpg

This was after a hard day in the rocket room:
385.jpg

I finished my Estes M-104 Patriot. The frogtape I purchased worked perfectly....nice clean lines. I also "burnished" the edges with a spoon before painting. Overall it's a cool little rocket. I think I'll purchase another Patriot....a mid to high power kit.

DSC02796.jpg

Back