What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked some more on my 3 of V's today. Mainly just putting the third coat of Deft Sanding Lacquer on, I really like the Deft Sanding Lacquer it dries quick and ready to sand and the 3 V's and the Cherokee C and D only took about 3 coats to get a good seal. The first two coats were almost entirely sanded off with 220grit, and the last coat was sanded with 600grit (because I was out of 400grit), the end result was that the last coat was very smooth and ready for primer/paint. The Deft only added less than 2 grams to the BT60 variant, and .6 grams to the BT50 sized. The papered basswood fins were also given a single coat.

A three of Vs2.jpg

3d printed my first iteration on a fly-away rail guide design. After test fitting, I tweaked the design and the 2nd iteration is printing now...

I royally screwed up the card stock shrouds on the end of the booster on the Hyper Bat.
Thought I would give them a thinned coat of glue for more durability.
Instead, using thinned glue was a mistake. It soaked into the card stock and swelled up and wrinkled.
So I pushed it inwards and let the glue dry. Added Elmer's CWP and sanded it down.
I put a thinned coat of glue on it to make it more durable.
Brushed several coats on until it stopped soaking it up like a sponge.
Let it dry overnight and see what happens.
I use the interior/exterior so it's safe to do that.
Not sure on just the interior to do. Might melt it.

My S.O. got out her sewing machine today and sewed loops onto the nylon strapping to make the harness for my Madcow Aerobee Hi. I wasn't sure if her machine would handle the Kevlar thread but it did and she did an outstanding job. Tonight she's going to make me some recovery blankets from the Nomex material I found on Ebay for $15 shipped. Almost 20 sqft of material should keep me in blankets for a while.

503.jpg

My S.O. got out her sewing machine today and sewed loops onto the nylon strapping to make the harness for my Madcow Aerobee Hi. I wasn't sure if her machine would handle the Kevlar thread but it did and she did an outstanding job. Tonight she's going to make me some recovery blankets from the Nomex material I found on Ebay for $15 shipped. Almost 20 sqft of material should keep me in blankets for a while.

View attachment 317765

Nice work!!

Trust me Teddy, I know it's addicting! She's getting there, but the reason I don't think she'll go to L2 is because of the cost. And she DEFINITELY won't want me buying L2 motors for both of us. Lol. I'll take that bet, what's the wager!?

Ha,, lol..
This is a no brainer Ryan..
I have been in rocketry for a very long time..
I don't know of a single person that hasn't said they just want to stay where they are..
No one wants to fly an L when they're having super flights on G's and H's all day..
But the H does eventually lead to an I..
And the I's do eventually lead to thoughts of how cool a J would be..
This is a very bad bet for you Ryan,, lol...

Teddy

Ha,, lol..
This is a no brainer Ryan..
I have been in rocketry for a very long time..
I don't know of a single person that hasn't said they just want to stay where they are..
No one wants to fly an L when they're having super flights on G's and H's all day..
But the H does eventually lead to an I..
And the I's do eventually lead to thoughts of how cool a J would be..
This is a very bad bet for you Ryan,, lol...

Teddy

LOL, that's too funny Teddy! We'll see buddy. I'll keep you updated by next year on tax day!

Detail work today.

Installed harness and recovery gear on the Madcow BBII. Still need to check balance.
Replaced the harnesses on my BBIII with longer OneBadHawk harnesses. Removing the old harness from the booster by cutting it with a knife on a stick was a total pain.
Attached recovery gear and harness on the Madcow Sea Wolf. Balance checked it with a J270 and weighed it. 6 pounds even, without motor. I have a 40" Recon chute for it, which says 8 pounds max, so that should work.
Almost done with the Mini Frenzy avbay. Upgraded the main chute from 18" to 24" so hopefully I won't pop another fin.

Cut tubes and sorted parts for upcoming builds: Centuri Bulldog clone, Nova Payloader clone, Enerjet Aero-Dart (slight upscale to BT70 from ST-204, 2.2 up from 2.04), Estes Alpha clone (Black and Red Livery), Mega Mosquito, FatBoy clone, Optima clone w/29mm mmt built on the BT80H airframe from BMS, Big Bertha, Orbital Transport, and Estes Courier, as well as an Aries SST clone. Next is lots of fins, should pretty much wipe out my supply of basswood. I also put two CRs for the Nike Hercules in a labeled bag to ID them for later.

Cut tubes and sorted parts for upcoming builds: Centuri Bulldog clone, Nova Payloader clone, Enerjet Aero-Dart (slight upscale to BT70 from ST-204, 2.2 up from 2.04), Estes Alpha clone (Black and Red Livery), Mega Mosquito, FatBoy clone, Optima clone w/29mm mmt built on the BT80H airframe from BMS, Big Bertha, Orbital Transport, and Estes Courier, as well as an Aries SST clone. Next is lots of fins, should pretty much wipe out my supply of basswood. I also put two CRs for the Nike Hercules in a labeled bag to ID them for later.

Your really busy building Rich, you on vacation or something?

Balanced the mini BBII. Life is good there.
Checked balance on the Mini Pike. Life is good for the D12-5 that I've flown it on already, but not more motor weight than that. Will add 1/2 ounce to the nose and re-evaluate.
Completed the Mini Frenzy avbay!

Attachments

• 20170420_120010.jpg
    20170420_120010.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7
This:

attachment.php

There's a carbon fiber plate layup under all that weight, I'm putting fins with West System mixed with milled carbon (the orange rocket), and I've poured epoxy into the nose cone of the Pringles can rocket and put the nose in the rocket body until it sets.

Epoxied my "charge canister" to my custon PSII transition bay lid.
At least that canister has been previously "tested" for semi contained explosions.

IMG_20170420_211711126_HDR.jpg

Epoxied my "charge canister" to my custon PSII transition bay lid.
At least that canister has been previously "tested" for semi contained explosions.

But it was tested with a cylinder around it...... I'm thinking of doing similar with some 54R that I found at the range. Should be plenty big enough even after cutting it off at the neck.

Finished large objects detailing Steampunk Rocket, still need to patch up gluing in some spots.
Also made a stand from matte board.
Oh, and a belated update, some of the club members talked me into flying it.

Sorry about out the grainy photos.

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

Finished large objects detailing Steampunk Rocket, still need to patch up gluing in some spots.

That looks pretty good!

Wow nice work!

In preparation for MWB built 2 AV Bays,,tested the 54MD Ejection charges at 0.8 grams. Modified a LOC nose cone and made a tracker bay for it.
Also installed Bluetooth module in the RTx receiver (no testing yet).

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492828425.183323.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492828484.102636.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492828499.766728.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1492828521.714456.jpg

Fun with pyrotechnics today, charge tested the Mini Frenzy. 0.6 grams was perfect for the drogue, but rather energetic for the main. Will back off slightly to .5 on the main for flight.

Hopefully yours comes in lighter than mine at 27 ounces RTF sans motor.

Maybe, I don't expect it too though as I didnt use any lightening techniques on it. Next week I will do a full-up check with the chutes and everything loaded to see what the all up weight minus motor is.

Back