What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much time and effort spent today going places to get things, and too much time in the sitting position has me in a bad way, but since the thread is slow, here's what I did for the grinder. 3 2X48 sections of steel from Capitol Steel & Supply Co., Inc. $24.44
One Sheet 1/2" Plexiglass with hockey puck marks, Free.
Also found a good 3 in one design for the tool holder.
Obviously the grinder will be great for rocket stuff like beveling fins, so even though I will build it to use on steel, it will make short work of fin beveling and the like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2LLg0vvdRo
2016-10-05 001 2016-10-05 001.jpg2016-10-05 001 2016-10-05 003.jpg

I feel like crumbs now because it was nice enough out today to work on the house, so that occupied the rest of my day.

Last edited:
Based on a heads-up post from another forum member, I followed an ebay link and got a good deal on a Dr Rocket 29/180-240 motor system. This system will be used for my daughter's TRA Lvl 1 cert flight. Right looks to be in January at the Phoenix MissileWorks launch just south of Birmingham, AL.

I'm breezing back through, won't know how long it will last but I ordered a LOC Precision Warlock kit with a Slim Line motor retainer.
I'll try to do a build thread when I get started.

Regards to all!

I'm breezing back through, won't know how long it will last but I ordered a LOC Precision Warlock kit with a Slim Line motor retainer.
I'll try to do a build thread when I get started.

Regards to all!

Hopefully it lasts longer than you absence!
Nice to hear from you! You've been missed friend!

Tonight I'm ball milling Kevlar, Carbon, and Fiberglass, then I'm going to add it to JB Weld, and see how well it adds itself to a tiny crack in a bandsaw wheel, that likely was never an issue, but the joint will get wrapped with chopped CF tows with alcohol diluted JB Weld, and then wrapped in a few layers of glass that have had milled FG added to the epoxy, before being spun down to an exact dimension, then re-balanced, so I'm sure it will work out just fine.:)
It's most definitely "Rocket wise", as none of these items being spun with lead balls are going to be dangerous to mix in the sealed container, and it will be fun to see how well they combine and then blend with a very sandable and well known epoxy product, that others may be inspired to experiment with these wonderful things.
Thanks again to RobMartinez702, who sells these really great milled products! I can't live without them now, as they always make any epoxy so much better at laminating anything. I never use "Just Epoxy" on anything anymore, as nearly everything can be made bulletproof or better in some way with the right combination of milled miracles.

The things I was able to accomplish with even the monkey metal covers of this saw were absolutely amazing, and so when doing anything I turn to these things for making the impossible totally doable!

:)

Miracle Materials For Everybody 2016-10-07 015.jpgMiracle Materials For Everybody 2016-10-07 012.jpgMiracle Materials For Everybody 2016-10-07 014.jpgMiracle Materials For Everybody 2016-10-07 016.jpgMiracle Materials For Everybody 2016-10-07 017.jpg

I obviously have not decided how to sieve the elements from the mill, as they are already super fine before I combined them, but I think if I simply add some of the handy 91% alcohol to the container very gently, then let it sit for till it starts to not be there, and pour it onto a coffee maker paper filter, I should have a really measurable amount of additive for the JB Weld.
JB Weld and a properly sized set of washers would handle this non-repair enhancement to the current structure, but I don't want to worry about it ever again, so it needs to be stronger than the original, so if it fails, I'll be forced to find another original.
Like Samuel Jackson in "Snakes On A Plane", I've had it up to here with things that fail or break, and the only thing in my life recently that has proved durable enough for satisfying me are composite materials and applying them. I even CF the damned garden hose just to spite it, and sure enough, it will break somewhere else, but by God it will never break where I fixed it until the next Armageddon!

All this stuff must be greta for rockets, but sadly I have to use it every single day to repair real life things that I can't afford to simply replace, so I can at least vouch for the quality of these things, as I'm relying on them for my actual living situation.
The Milled fibers showed up just when the toilet decided to migrate to the basement, and now you could literally "Drop a Bomb" in my bathroom, will minimal effectiveness.
If I had an M72 Hand Grenade, It might wreck the toilet, but the floor and the section of toilet I repaired would be fine.

The toilet flange is all JB Weld, CF and FG and Milled Stuffs. I accidentally stood on it a few time during the rebuild, and it is solid as steel.

Last edited:
polishing polishing polishing

also built a quick Art Applewhite 24mm stealth saucer out of cardboard to use up my E9-6 supplies - will fly tomorrow at Purdy

Started a new project, ordered the first round of parts anyway. After about a month of research I ordered the first parts for making my own 3 axis CNC Router, and I mean designed and built myself kinda own. The goal is to get as close to a 2'x4' cutting bed as is practical, ideally be able to cut aluminum, and bring in the project for about $750. First part is going to be controlling the stepper motors. This is going to be a big time learning project as I am not one who toys with arduinos and such for entertainment. That is why I am starting with control, not the machine itself. I am confident I can build stuff, but the control end is going to be a particularly tough part.

Anyhow, tonight I took the plunge and ordered an Arduino Uno, gShield v5, power supply, and 3 stepper motors.

This is gonna take some time.

I also installed one of the rail button mounts (threaded insert) on my L3 project. This one needed a standoff contoured to the boat tail, so that took some work modifying a doghouse standoff to the correct contour.

Started a new project, ordered the first round of parts anyway. After about a month of research I ordered the first parts for making my own 3 axis CNC Router, and I mean designed and built myself kinda own. The goal is to get as close to a 2'x4' cutting bed as is practical, ideally be able to cut aluminum, and bring in the project for about $750. First part is going to be controlling the stepper motors. This is going to be a big time learning project as I am not one who toys with arduinos and such for entertainment. That is why I am starting with control, not the machine itself. I am confident I can build stuff, but the control end is going to be a particularly tough part.

Anyhow, tonight I took the plunge and ordered an Arduino Uno, gShield v5, power supply, and 3 stepper motors.

I also installed one of the rail button mounts (threaded insert) on my L3 project. This one needed a standoff contoured to the boat tail, so that took some work modifying a doghouse standoff to the correct contour.

Very interested in this project - maybe start a thread on it? I'm fairly handy with Arduino, ping me if you need a hand. I'm also thinking about CNC, but the commercial ones that I would want are out of my budget - having DIY thoughts too.

Glad to hear your back at it!!

Very interested in this project - maybe start a thread on it? I'm fairly handy with Arduino, ping me if you need a hand. I'm also thinking about CNC, but the commercial ones that I would want are out of my budget - having DIY thoughts too.

I may start a thread once I get a little down the road. I always have a few large projects going at any time, so progress on any one tends to be slow which makes build/project threads less than fulfilling for anyone following along. My current L3 build thread turns 1 year old this month...almost ready for primer.

Thanks also for the offer of Arduino advice. The commercial CNCs of the size I would want are also way outside my budget, but the parts, even high quality parts, are quite reasonable by comparison.

[video=youtube;e143pRlLeYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e143pRlLeYk[/video]

Tested a blue today.

Since moving to Windoze 8 and then updating to 10 on a new computer, the transfer of Rocsim 9 was not successful. For whatever reason, the program will not recognize the certificate anymore. So, I downloaded Open Rocket, which seems to work well so far on W10. I will keep working at getting RS9 working, as all of my vehicles are in that program...

Since moving to Windoze 8 and then updating to 10 on a new computer, the transfer of Rocsim 9 was not successful. For whatever reason, the program will not recognize the certificate anymore. So, I downloaded Open Rocket, which seems to work well so far on W10. I will keep working at getting RS9 working, as all of my vehicles are in that program...

Email Apogee. They will send you new credentials.

Today I accomplished something few rocketeers have pulled off successfully. I got home with the fam from the pumpkin patch to notice my Drago EX had arrived and was sitting on the porch. By some miracle of God, I was able to distract my wife and run to the front door to "let the dogs out", strategically placing my body in a direct line of sight between my wife and the box. I quickly let the dogs run out, and while my wife was heading to the back of the car to get kiddo #1, rushed inside with the box and threw it in the closet. A few minutes later, I seized the opportunity to move the box into a part of the garage where it blends in mighty fine. This was literally the worst case scenario I had envisioned for delivery, and I still pulled it off like a champ.

72322457.jpg

20161010_173616.jpg

Today I accomplished something few rocketeers have pulled off successfully. I got home with the fam from the pumpkin patch to notice my Drago EX had arrived and was sitting on the porch. By some miracle of God, I was able to distract my wife and run to the front door to "let the dogs out", strategically placing my body in a direct line of sight between my wife and the box. I quickly let the dogs run out, and while my wife was heading to the back of the car to get kiddo #1, rushed inside with the box and threw it in the closet. A few minutes later, I seized the opportunity to move the box into a part of the garage where it blends in mighty fine. This was literally the worst case scenario I had envisioned for delivery, and I still pulled it off like a champ.

Haha oh funny! My wife notices new cardboard in my garage :(

Desperately checking weather and calling our new vendor (BAR) about if the Tripoli Central Cal will happen this weekend (10-14 - 2016).. The weather is predicting rain For Friday and Saturday .. Still no decision yet.. The landowner has concerns about holding launch's in wet sink in the mud..

I had a mate who would have stuff delivered to my house to avoid this scenario.

Me? Ha! I email the link to what I've just purchased to my wife with a note saying "OOoh!! Check out what I've just ordered!!"

Krusty

Got the first urethane tire mounted for my bandsaw. It's not a tough as the folks on youtube make it out to be, but the jig made it so simple that anyone can do it, and you don't need the hot water. I went around the rim with the 1/2" PVC dowel three times to be sure I evened out the tension, then I set it in a tote with hot water for half an hour to settle the band onto the grooves in the wheel. I missed a few spots removing the old rubber on the lower wheel, so I did not get around to doing that one, but will finish it today. I should have cleaned the old rubber COMPLETELY off during my old paint removal with the Acetone, as getting the spots I missed with Acetone after the paint and clear coat are on there is a harrowing process.
Anyhow, the orange contrasts nicely with the camp green, and overall the project is going beautifully. I still need to machine down one more knob that retains the lower wheel cover and paint the wheel covers, but that's easy.
I'm also making a custom fence for the table with wheels as guides and neat stuff I saw on youtube.:)

Urethane Tires 2016-10-11 001.jpg

Urethane Tires 2016-10-11 002.jpg

Forgot this one, this was a few days ago but I got the paint and vinyl done on my shortened Maxi Alpha III.

Maxi Alpha 3 finished.jpg

Last edited:
Cutting some rocket fins.
When I made this little cutting jig for my work table - I didn't even realize I could cut multiple parts all at once.

[YOUTUBE]CEpu1xFGDxw[/YOUTUBE]

(Last night) I finished construction of cloned SPEV:

30213377271_423800b40c_z.jpg

Last year I built this Hyperloc 835 for my L2. It was named "Legionnaire's Lament":

IMG_20151016_170237.jpg

I failed:

IMG_20151018_164256.jpg

As of last night, "Legionnaire's Revenge" is ready to fly (ignore the mess...need to get another shelf):

IMAG0305.jpg

Back