What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepped for a Boy Scout build night tomorrow night, cut a bunch of BT20 based 3FNC chipboard fin guides on my wifes CriCut (the 1/16" Chipboard cuts a bit over half way through), refilled all the TBII glue bottles, and finished assembly on a Phantom BT60 Upscale of the 5 fin variant of the Viking, the airframe is a piece of fluorescent tube protector.

Hi Nathan,

I used a CTI M1810 two weeks ago for my Level 3 Certification. It worked perfectly. The red flame was almost as long as the 9 1/2 foot long rocket.

Attachments

• 37D29489-1026-4C04-9E64-044642978721.jpg
    37D29489-1026-4C04-9E64-044642978721.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 20
Well the kids (mostly) built them and got them through their first flights, but it looks like I'm stuck doing the paint prep work. I primed my son's Formula 38 today. This one will be black with red & yellow flames.

IMG_3816-2.jpg IMG_3818-2.jpg

3D printed a really slick 54 to 29mm motor adapter. 15 hours print time, hexagonal fill. Came out perfect. 1.65 Oz.

Hi Nathan,

I used a CTI M1810 two weeks ago for my Level 3 Certification. It worked perfectly. The red flame was almost as long as the 9 1/2 foot long rocket.

I saw that! Ted Chernok sent me a copy of that photo after your L3 flight at Potter because he knew I was planning to use the same motor for my L3 cert. Congratulations.

Finished the "Minuteman" 29mm MD rocket today!
Congrats, Andrew. I'm looking forward to hearing how your maiden flight goes!

I painted base coats on a few rockets today. Metallic black for my son's Formula 38 and white for my Mouse 38.

IMG_3834.jpg IMG_3836.jpg

I also got a 24" and 42" Spherachute in the mail. It's really awesome that you can pick the colors. The chutes look great! Here's the 42" for my Broken Arrow 54:

IMG_3837.jpg

AND...I got my shiny new 38-1200 Loki case in. This is going to be FUN! Thanks Chris!

Last edited:
Well i finished off my electronics sled. 3D printers are wonderful. Left is a Eggtimer TRS, Right is a custom Altimetry/datalogging board (Barometer, accelerometer (1 is a 16 G IMU which has some other things in it, the other is is a 256 G 1 axis), and GPS with a 3dr compliant radio header and possible servo pins) and at the bottom is a SLCF. I plan of using the Eggtimer and SLCF going into the same charge well with different matches as a back up for the the untested custom board.

Helps if I put in the picture of it...
irccloudcapture1226166343.jpg

I believe I see Deans plug on that! Geez what size battery are you going to use there?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Just finished loading my car to head east at an unholy hour first thing in the morning! Fingers crossed that my L2 goes off with out a hitch tomorrow!

Finished up the 4" Drago for this weekends drag race at ROCstock. Loaded our old truck "Grosser" for a solo trip to Lucerne dry lake. 5 hour drive starting around 4 am tomorrow.

Flew with Radical Rocketeers in NJ today, and low and behold someone found my long lost Chute Release out in the field. I had lost it months ago on a wayward flight. Brought it home, opened it up, cleaned away some minor oxidation and it looks like it might be alive! Great product Jolly Logic!

Lost my Formula 38 on an H115-DM flight, with a working GPS tracker on board!

Rocket took off picture perfectly, H115 dark-matter fire-sparks storm was awesome and attracted attention of everyone on site.
The bright orange rocket quickly went out of sight, never to be seen again.

Eggfinder was working, LCD receiver was beeping, displaying GPS coordinates transmissions that finally settled down after ~2 minutes at a nearby soy-bean field.
Walked to the indicated coordinates - nothing.

They changed a few times at the 3rd digit, all within ~20 foot radius. Walked and combed the area for better part of an hour with my entire family - nothing!
Stood over the exact spots looking for a hole in the ground - nothing!
Maybe at least a nose cone with EF mini - nothing!

@#$%.

a

Took a belt sander, then 60 grit, then, 160 grit to depaint the nosecone of Big Sam then cleaned with alcohol.

If paint doesn't stick to That surface, nothing will lol

Made 6 flights today on 5 different rockets:

Successfully flew my L2 cert flight on a J400SS, flew my first sparky motor (a H115DM), then flew a second sparky (a H178DM), put my L2 bird up again on a I600R, and then flew two other mid power flights. All in all a good day!

Made 6 flights today on 5 different rockets:

Successfully flew my L2 cert flight on a J400SS, flew my first sparky motor (a H115DM), then flew a second sparky (a H178DM), put my L2 bird up again on a I600R, and then flew two other mid power flights. All in all a good day!

Congratulations, Chris! Looks like next year will be the year of 54mm flying for both of us!

Successfully flew my L2 cert flight on a J400SS...!

Congratulations.

I did some more rocket surgery. A few months ago, I launched this on a G77R single-use. The parachute did not deploy and I lost it. It spent a night out in the desert, before another flier found it and brought it back West. It was a couple of weeks before I could pick it up. When I got it home, I found that the ejection charge had popped with just enough force to get the red cap up into the dog barf, but did not otherwise move anything (the chute was packed properly).

I was pleased to have the rocket back with only minor cosmetic damage, until I tied to pull the motor. It is welded solidly into the motor tube.

I pushed a dowel in from the forward end of the motor tube and tried hammering it out. I used a Dremel to cut away the nozzle and as as much of the motor casing as I could reach from the aft end and tried hammering it out from that end... no movement at all.

Today I dissected the rocket, cutting through the airframe and motor tube just forward of the remains of the motor. After drilling out the ejection well, and sawing, and chiseling, I got a few more chunks out -- but is is still fused to the motor tube at some point that I cannot reach or release.

I did, however, manage to rip the motor tube. So now I am going to try to get get the ruined motor tube out, without destroying the centering rings or fin tabs. I don't guess it'll be easy. There is a LOT of epoxy in there.

SAM_0718.jpgSAM_0719.jpgSAM_0724.jpgSAM_0725.jpg

Lost my Formula 38 on an H115-DM flight, with a working GPS tracker on board!

Rocket took off picture perfectly, H115 dark-matter fire-sparks storm was awesome and attracted attention of everyone on site.
The bright orange rocket quickly went out of sight, never to be seen again.

Eggfinder was working, LCD receiver was beeping, displaying GPS coordinates transmissions that finally settled down after ~2 minutes at a nearby soy-bean field.
Walked to the indicated coordinates - nothing.

They changed a few times at the 3rd digit, all within ~20 foot radius. Walked and combed the area for better part of an hour with my entire family - nothing!
Stood over the exact spots looking for a hole in the ground - nothing!
Maybe at least a nose cone with EF mini - nothing!

@#$%.

a
Yep, have had that happen on 900MHz com links. Watched my rocket come down at Airfest just in front the away cells and GPS display said it was 3 miles to the South.

From the Ether...

Congratulations, Chris! Looks like next year will be the year of 54mm flying for both of us!

Thanks, Ryan! I am already getting a list of 54mm motors to order over the winter! The next goal is to put the ARCAS up to a mile, and I think a 4g CTI K will work for that just perfectly!

I recently moved from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment. I assumed my rocket building would suffer, but fortunately there is an unused basement room that is super-creepy, but it has plenty of space for storage. That just means that I and the kids have to build rockets on the kitchen table. (T-2 days until my wife gets sick of it.)

IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back