What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have resolved to clear off a section of workbench in the garage to use to work on a small rocket (or two). I haven't had time to work on anything big in a while and I need a rocketry fix. Having a dedicated area cleared in the garage will allow me to work on something for a bit each evening after work.

Dry fitting L2 project. Totally would have punched a whole in my ceiling if I didn't have an elliptical cone on it......

20180429_173334.jpg

Started an Estes Goblin #7237 LPR kit. Doing a few upgrades such as basswood TTW fins, kevlar recovery anchor and epoxied shot for the nose weight. The papered basswood fins only weigh 3grams more than the regular balsa fins, which I made up by ditching the motor block, motor hook, and sleeve over the motor tube and hook. I will use the stock decals but plan on painting it bright green of some variety, and will probably make a few more bats and stuff for it. To bad its only a Bt55 airframe as I enjoy flying my JLCR with the mid power motors this thing will be flying on occasionally. The motor mount was moved .25" to the rear to allow friction fitting the motor with a extra wrap of tape for making sure the motor is totally secure.

Estes Goblin 4.jpgEstes Goblin 3.jpgEstes Goblin 2.jpgEstes Goblin 1.jpgEstes Goblin 5.jpgEstes Goblin 6.jpgEstes Goblin 7.jpgEstes Goblin 8.jpgEstes Goblin 9.jpg

I found a copy of Handbook of Model Rocketry Fourth Edition today at the library. Shows it was received into service at the library 12 OCT 77.

Put cooling fans on my 3d printer's TMC2130 stepper drivers so they wouldn't overheat in my hot office and ruin 40 hour long rocket part prints. (Printing my last 38mm launch tower support now.)

Did the final (maybe) RasAero II sims of my next record-attempt rocket. I don't quite believe the max altitudes, but I'm happy with the Cp plots. BUILD IT!

In response to a thread on that other forum, I spent several hours digging through boxes to find the Aero-High blueprints that I had acquired in the '70's. Two sheets of the rocket and three sheets of the launcher. Unfortunately, the prints I have are barely readable, and scanning at 600dpi pretty much mulched a lot of the text even though that produced 12MB files. I really now need to work these up as CAD drawings. Never-the-less, I'll put these in a Dropbox folder. I still need to find the photo that I know I had.

Yesterday I ran out of paint while trying to get the Drago painted. It's close, but I can see some areas where coverage is not quite 100%. I was hoping to get the paint done before leaving on my work trip today, oh well, fortunately Duplicolor dries fast so I can get it done next week.

20180501_165703.jpg

Did a little prep work on my DarkStar Jr. Washed all the parts and weighed everything. Total weight as shipped = 1,044g or 36.826 oz.

This kit is going to be a lot of fun to build. :grin: :w:

Got another build video for the Drago pushed out and edited as much as I could for the next video. Also called up Wildman to check on my 54mm hardware order, since the big launch is coming up in a few weeks. It's becoming crunch time to get the Drago ready and it's no fun being on the road, but I think I can see the finish line approaching.

Sent the final bill of materials and ORK file for Chimichunga-I to my LRV for final quotes.

So looking forward to ordering this puppy and starting the build.

Ended up choosing the CTI pro 38 starter pack (3G, 6G and two spacers in a kit)

First flight is planning for a cti 3g to about 2000ft.

Build a new modular nose sled with a TRS. It will go in 3" and 4" nose cones. I did add a push button switch between the bulkplate and Altimeter. It will get pushed through a single static vent through the nosecone shoulder/body tube. 0503181623.jpeg0503180958_HDR.jpegreceived_10156254935050050.jpeg0503181623b.jpeg0503181623a.jpeg

More 38mm min-diameter work. I checked out my new TeleMetrum and finished my second 39 hour 3d print for my launch tower support parts.

21 days until first flight! Too bad I have 7 days of business trip between now & then. It's crunch time!!

IMG_6941.jpg

Just for kicks, here's a time lapse of the print.

[youtube]k1pYpKe-sNs[/youtube]

Last edited:
I found a copy of Handbook of Model Rocketry Fourth Edition today at the library. Shows it was received into service at the library 12 OCT 77.

A while back, I visited my home town's library. I found their copy of the Handbook of Model Rocketry on the shelf and opened it. Even though they had long ago switched to a computerized system, there was still a check-out card inside a paper pocket inside the cover. I pulled it out and saw my name listed over and over on it.

Finished my Wildman Jart 4” that was bought at a BS sale long ago. Stretched the main body to fit the longest 54mm motors, and converted it to HED. Redundant electronics via Missile Works (RRC3 & RRC2+). Decals from Stickershock23.IMG_1525535338.110397.jpg

Back