What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got back from a week-long vacation at the beach to find a box from AMW. I opened it to reveal some new CTI 2-Grain reloads and associated case as well as the next motor for my Behemoth Bertha 75 - the M1101 Mellow Yellow. There were a few other reloads in the package including some H42 Mellow Yellows for my 4" cluster rocket. It should be a fun Autumn.

Papered my first fins for the Estes Bull Pup using the tutorial by K'Tesh found here. Best job I did on fins yet! I also filled the spirals on the same model.

IMG_20140817_210245_small.jpg

Will be gluing some fins pretty soon.

Last edited:
I re-certified TRA L1 with an I455 in my LOC DoorKnob. I used an RRC2+ for apogee only deployment with the motor as backup.

attachment.php

Congrats Chris, I saw that flight before I left . . . the heat was too much for me.

Lined a Tail Cone/Exhaust Tube with Aluminum Foil Tape.:)

And a sweet MMT Assembly to match.

Fine tuning it for a precise Fit to my Body Tube:

Last edited:
I found a shipping notification from Always Ready Rocketry in my email.

I cut an 8-inch piece of aluminum angle and primed a length of 3/4 inch PVC. I plan to use the tube to transport launch rods, and I'm going to give it a cool paint job while I wait to build my next rocket.

Helped my 4 year old daughter finish her first rocket... an Estes High-Flyer. Her painting skills are beyond reproach!

I didn't realize you were there. It was pushing the top of my comfort level but my wife said she was OK still.

Buncha heat-wussies.

Actually, I am the worst when it comes to heat or more specifically heat and direct sunlight. I rarely travel down to Dairy Aire because of the heat and disked field conditions.

I measured out how much shock cord I should have to prevent nose damage

Unfortunately the (unpainted) nose cone did sustain some damage

Here is the actual damage:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408402911.610972.jpg

Caused by snaking into here on the fin can:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408402953.495228.jpg

The damage occurred during main ejection charge. Since (as most of you know) the nose is pointed down during that phase, it shot straight down and right where it would receive the second most amount of damage. It narrowly avoided one if the fins!

My solution? Use more shock cord in between the booster section and payload section.

I didn't realize you were there. It was pushing the top of my comfort level but my wife said she was OK still.

Yeah, I was parked next to the group of students from Stanford University. I made the mistake of asking them what high school they went to . . . hey, when you're almost sixty, college kids look like high school kids.

But I thought we had talked while at the RSO table . . . your son remembered me from Snow Ranch. Perhaps that was somebody else, lol.

I had an interesting flight with my Giant Leap Firestorm 54; I used a 3D printed fincan instead of the acme fincan that came with the kit. It saved me 7 ounces in weight. Flew it on an I65 motor and at about 100 feet the aft end started corkscrewing. The rocket only went 2980' rather than the projected 5000'. I didn't notice why until I got home . . . the fins resembled a boat motor prop in that the tips were bent over, two to the right and one to the left.

The rail I launched off didn't have a stop/standoff, so I used a dirt clod. Big mistake, as I believe the heat from the flames coming back off the blast plate softened the fins and when they bent over I got the corkscrew spin. I really like the 3D printed fincans and will be more careful in the future . . . perhaps I'll start carrying a rail-stop in my pocket.

Last edited:
Finished painting these two Estes kits with my kids and fixed the broken wing on my Lil Nuke.

1408411301313.jpg

- Simmed some payloaders
- Sanded spiral filler on Estes Bull Pup and prepared for gluing the fins

Saturday night visited CaveDuck and watched him recheck an eggfinder and discussed our October Boys team project.

Yesterday slotted the MDRM tube that I had wrapped and cut a 38mm MMT for it.. then did a quick mock up.

Today ordered some kevlar from Fuddrucker .

Kenny

1408415006626.jpg

1408415023174.jpg

Sanded 2nd coat of FNF on the QCC Explorer. Also, broke one intake while sanding the QCC. Finally, said bad words when breaking an intake while sanding QCC.

I finished mounting the cabinet doors on my new rocket workbench.

Was preparing to move the workbench into it's planned space and realized I've not built or attached a handle to the end of the bench. D'oh! Tomorrow's phase of this project has become self-evident.

I will upload a picture of the workbench as of today from my phone.

Done.

Didn't turn out half bad for being built from simple dimensional lumber from Home Depot. The various hand fitting issues were due to the inevitable warps that crept in despite a year of drying out in my garage stacked and stickered.

Last edited:

Was preparing to move the workbench into it's planned space and realized I've not built or attached a handle to the end of the bench. D'oh! Tomorrow's phase of this project has become self-evident.

Done.

Didn't turn out half bad for being built from simple dimensional lumber from Home Depot. The various hand fitting issues were due to the inevitable warps that crept in despite a year of drying out in my garage stacked and stickered.

Nice Job, but there is definitely something missing from that ROCKET workbench.

Most of the Stanford kids were OK. One of them kept driving by and dusting us out in his bimmer.

We might have talked. I'm horrible with names and faces and I was pretty amped up for my flight that I wasn't paying too much attention to anyone else.

I did see your sky writing routine. It was a interesting flight. Now that I think about it I think you said something to Tim and I about it afterward. I just didn't make the connection.

Yeah, I was parked next to the group of students from Stanford University. I made the mistake of asking them what high school they went to . . . hey, when you're almost sixty, college kids look like high school kids.

But I thought we had talked while at the RSO table . . . your son remembered me from Snow Ranch. Perhaps that was somebody else, lol.

I had an interesting flight with my Giant Leap Firestorm 54; I used a 3D printed fincan instead of the acme fincan that came with the kit. It saved me 7 ounces in weight. Flew it on an I65 motor and at about 100 feet the aft end started corkscrewing. The rocket only went 2980' rather than the projected 5000'. I didn't notice why until I got home . . . the fins resembled a boat motor prop in that the tips were bent over, two to the right and one to the left.

The rail I launched off didn't have a stop/standoff, so I used a dirt clod. Big mistake, as I believe the heat from the flames coming back off the blast plate softened the fins and when they bent over I got the corkscrew spin. I really like the 3D printed fincans and will be more careful in the future . . . perhaps I'll start carrying a rail-stop in my pocket.

Keep it up and you're going to have to start posting on The Workbench Forum. :wink:

You're starting to remind me of the guys who buy machine tools (like me). They buy a machine to make X, but they spend more time making toys for the machine than making parts with it.

Done.

I posted a feature request for altimeter manufacturers in the electronics forum.

Back