What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, did a dry-fit on the fins for a 2.5"/29mm project. Ran some test prints on the inkjet, trying to match Krylon Gloss Purple. Assembled three LMS motors (after which I found a spare insulator washer on my bench -- I am pretty sure it was spare, anyway <grin>). Threw away a most of my unusable aircraft plywood scrap and generally straightened up in the shop.

testfiteacvipermainfins2.jpgtestfiteacvipermainfins.jpg

Later I've got a set of canard fins to mill.

Just got back from a 1300 mile round trip to TCC's October Skies. Despite the windy conditions on Friday, this trip was well worth it. This small club put on a most excellent launch, and I can't wait to see what they do with LDRS next year. We will most definitely be coming to that event!

Started turning a tail cone.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 17
Finished off my Eggtimer case. now just waiting on some metric screws to get in to finish the final assembly but all the lights and buttons work. Now on to making the sled for the eggtimer and a custom board and maybe a SLCF if i can fit it. also put the first fin on my Demon 98.
irccloudcapture914750660.jpg

Poked and prodded through some of my rocket stuff which is now all safe and sound in my bedroom closets. I missed out on so many perfect weather days to fly this year due to saving my house, but the work is paying off noticeably, and next year by this time of year I may be able to do some rocket stuff again.
I certainly am always thinking of rockets and how I can apply my new skills and mechanical resources to the hobby, and I have some really cool things to share when I get a chance.
I've been using my composite construction techniques that I've learned here and applying the basic principles to lots of diy repair and/or renovation projects, and some have held up and performed far beyond expectations, while others have been a waste of time and materials, save for the fact that I learned first hand the reasons why.
I can't wait to share both my failures and success stories in that regard.
I've certainly not forgotten where I learned all of this composite craziness in the first place.
Anyhow, miss this place, but I'm on a roll in my endeavours, and can see a time coming when I have a build thread or at least an update to a shelved rocket project to share.:)

Dave

IMG_3456.jpg

I worked on my latest rocket, getting pretty close to done.

It is built from the burned up remnants of a 3" Vertical Assault (think that is what it was called...) and other bits of scrap and second-hand materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Finished up a QuikSwitch PML mounting kit for my 54mm, started in on a Loc Precision Expediter... :)

Laid out the parts and materials for the newer Estes Shuttle and read the instructions. I got this thing because I really liked the late 80s Estes Space Shuttle glider I used to have. Sure has a lot of little parts to glue.

We had a guest speaker come to my seventh and eighth grade classes. Dan Adamo worked in Mission Control for 60+ of the shuttle launches. Very interesting...

Inventoried motors and cleaned up the range box, getting ready for this weekend's high power launch. Glued some 3D-printed conformal quarter-inch launch lugs onto the Estes Mammoth to 2" Mean Machine kit-bash. Fingers crossed that it gets in the air this time. Got some paint on the canard fins of the 2.5" EAC Viper. Don't expect it'll be finished in time for this launch.

My wife hit a deer yesterday, but saved State Farm 10k when she did it , she was driving our totaled car from her last deer hit that I hadn't repaired yet

Rocket hauler Enclave was setting in the driveway

My Go Devil 38 arrived today. I still haven't decided what kind of mods I'll do for the build. Hmm.

Today I watched a presentation by OSU's NASA SLI team, followed by a build/launch with my eighth grade science class. It doesn't get a whole lot better.

The guy behind the launch controller just happens to be the current NAR Vice President... [emoji106]

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3615.jpg

‘‘Twas a bad day flying.

My 29mm aspire failed to ignite on the e20-7Ws I got for it then NC tether broke when we got it up on an f39-9... EFMini meant I got the NC, GPS and altimeter 3 back, but the airframe and 24/40 RMS case is who knows where...

Launched “STRAPPED”, my 24mm with 18mm boosters - one of the boosters failed to eject and the booster zippered about 1cm..

Then my 2 stage “blu-fyr” (loaded with my JLCR & JLA3) disappeared into a field which I discovered now has corn growing in it...

I walked a search grid in the new corn (max shoulder high, mostly wait high) to no avail.

All up an expensive weekend - lost my JLCR, A3 and a 24/40 RMS case

Yikes, that is a rough day indeed! Condolences on your lost hardware.

Ya - it was my first real big “loss”.. I think I’ve been a little cocky of late - normally I would never put $300 of gear into a maiden flight - and interestingly, never considered losing a well tested rocket...

Both failures have changed the way I plan and build already, so the old adage runs true:

“A lesson learned the hard way sticks more in the mind than being told the moral of the story 1000 times by someone else...”

Did some planning for my Broken Arrow 54 and a custom 38mm MD rocket. Hit refresh on Jolly Logic's page some more...still hunting for the Altimeter Four. I also ordered some Kevlar.

Back