What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a great day flying my first Aerotech reload ever. I flew a G79 White and I gotta say I had as much fun building the motor as I did flying it. What a sweet flame and dense smoke trail. I will most certainly be flying more.

Finally done with the full sized "Night Fury". It's a modified LOC Hi Tech and should be a screamer off the pad. I'm hoping to eventually get up to a "J" for at least one flight. It's little brother also pictured is the absolute perfect rocket for AT Economax F44-8's. ~2600 feet and just rips off the pad.
Also finished the payload bay to the General Lee.CIMG3884.jpgCIMG3885.jpgCIMG3887.jpg

Started work on a MPR/low end HPR scratch build using tubes identical to the ones Pro-54 reloads come in.

It's a really sweet design, and there are almost no commercial parts on the rocket. I'm trying out a way I came up with to make the nose from scratch. If it works I'll share it here.

Nice day, Replaced the shock cord on my LOC 4-29SS (longer and stronger),rebuilt the ejection charge baffle.. And on the VB EXTREME24- I re-glued one fin. Also tested another home dipped starter. They are firing great. Looking forward to the Southern Arizona Rocketry Association(SARA)launch Sat. Oct 25th.
Were gonna have a Blast
View attachment 187813

Spent three hours driving down to the TCC October Skies 3 day launch only to discover the recover zone was knee deep in mud in some areas. Had the wind gone in the other direction there would have been no problem.

Didn't launch a thing but spent a lot of time and money in the vendor area...d'oh! (Fruity Chutes 42" Classic Elliptical & 21" chute protector, a Cesaroni I212SS reload, 2-3" couplers and a length of 3" body tube for alt/payload bays)

From a spectator's viewpoint, there were some spectacular flights and some flights that were spectacular but in an unintentional way. Due to the long drive home, I left before sunset and the night launches.

Was pretty tired after the three hour return trip but still managed to unload the car before calling it a day.

Spent three hours driving down to the TCC October Skies 3 day launch only to discover the recover zone was knee deep in mud in some areas. Had the wind gone in the other direction there would have been no problem.

Didn't launch a thing but spent a lot of time and money in the vendor area...d'oh! (Fruity Chutes 42" Classic Elliptical & 21" chute protector, a Cesaroni I212SS reload, 2-3" couplers and a length of 3" body tube for alt/payload bays)

From a spectator's viewpoint, there were some spectacular flights and some flights that were spectacular but in an unintentional way. Due to the long drive home, I left before sunset and the night launches.

Was pretty tired after the three hour return trip but still managed to unload the car before calling it a day.

Sorry to hear that. A few folks I spoke with at work were going to head down as well, knee deep in mud seems odd given the weather of late... anyhow, are you headed to the next Snow Ranch launch? I think one of our work group is looking to cert. there this next round. I'm just lazy :) Both my L1 and L2 rockets are now done, just need to get out of the garage and onto the field.

Sorry to hear that. A few folks I spoke with at work were going to head down as well, knee deep in mud seems odd given the weather of late... anyhow, are you headed to the next Snow Ranch launch? I think one of our work group is looking to cert. there this next round. I'm just lazy :) Both my L1 and L2 rockets are now done, just need to get out of the garage and onto the field.
I should have clarified that the land in question is a dairy and workers started irrigating it early Saturday morning by opening water control gates which flood the irrigation ditches. Seeing as how most of the Central Valley is silt (prehistoric lake bottom), it quickly became soggy in many places.

Not sure if Snow Ranch will be green enough two weeks from now to be viable for launching. I hope so but December seems more likely.

I posted a video of NEFAR's October launch to YouTube:

[video=youtube;c_JqiqVMaK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_JqiqVMaK4[/video]

Be sure to click the "Settings" icon and choose "720p."

-- Roger

Last edited:
Worked on my scratch built nose cone project a bit more. Seems to be working out pretty decently so far.... :)

Also cut out some fins for the rocket the NC will be for, but unfortunately messed them up so I'll need to cut some new ones....:sigh:

I've been working on my Formula 200 all week and I finally got to the point where I epoxied the motor mount in place. The fins are next after I cut an alignment jig. Then I'll work on the AvBay and RF Tracking Bay. I hope to do a test flight at the November 1st SEVRA launch.

I spent Saturday evening building up three rockets for the school project I'm working on. A 3-fin, a 4-fin and a 5-fin rocket! However, the planned test launch on Sunday was scuttled due to wind (no, not *that* type of wind...)

Also, I've been working on a micro-controller driven launcher :) I'm developing it with the Arduino IDE and an Atmel ATmega328 IC with an 8x8 matrix display for the UI

Over the weekend I developed the 'Armed' 'Safe' and count-down screens. Still to complete - Continuity OK/Bad and Error/Fault screens. I also got the relay working which will be used to deliver the fire current to the igniter.

Is this overkill? Ha, you bet!

Krusty

Started slowly sanding off the bad paint job on my long overdue K&S Super Flash. Didn't wait long enough for the second coat and it orange peeled like mad.

Worked on several alt bays of different sizes and components.

Getting tired of missing on out flights at launches because of winds and single deploy so I'm converting my regular fliers to dual deploy to suit my geezerly preferences/needs.

After a good day flying rockets and putting things away I removed my Rc airplanes from this rack and turned it into a rocket rack for my smaller rockets.

IMG_20141020_064003_030.jpg

Painted the undercoat for my first cluster rocket - Quest Magnum Sport Loader - and discovered I hate the color. I used Rust-Oleum Sun Yellow, which looks like the color you'd paint a nursery. I was expecting it to be a brighter, bolder yellow, like Krylon's Sunburst Yellow. Guess I'll have to get another color to paint over it. Too bad - not a lot of good painting weather these days.

:)Recieved some Lightweight Fiberglass from JeromeK99, and began practicing.:)
Thanks Jerome!

FirstFiberglass 002.jpg

And this morning:

FirstFiberglass 002.jpg

Also Papered another set of Fins.

Last edited:
Found a package with 98mm and 54mm Aeropack retainers and a package with Peter Alway's Rockets of the World, 4th Edition in the mailbox. Picked up some semi-random composite supplies I had to abandon at our launch because the car was too full. (Thanks, Greg!) Pondered L3 rocket livery; I think I might have a (hopefully) unique idea for the outside that is unforgettable. Time will tell.

After 2 less than successful 1st level attempts I've decided to refurbish my 22 year old conformation rocket. All scratch 3" PVC rocket 5 feet tall with a turned balsa cone made of 27 small blocks glued up. I have a chipped fin tip caused from a fall of about 4000 feet. It has a different body, the original was smashed into pieces when a I435 cracked a nozzle causing vectored thrust. I'll use 1/64 birch ply and fiberglass to build up the tip. I have until the 1st of November until the next launch, last one of the year. I'll email my renewal at midnight of the 1st so that I'm legal then over the course of the next year it is the goal to get to 3rd again :)

Stayed up WAAAAAAAAYYYYY to late futzing around in OpenRocket playing with a simple 29mm based triple-cluster. I'm not done with all the internals yet. I need to add some motor retention hardware/mass and I might want to set this up as dual deploy. Also, I'll probably have to set it up as 2 coupled tubes to get the length I initially have in mind.

triplets2.jpg
View attachment Triplets2.ork

Back