What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just won the Centuri Skylab on Ebay.

Way to go Steven!!!
I wish I would have had the money to bid on it.
But glad I didn't. We would have bid against each other and raised to an outrageous amount, LOL.
You will have to do a build thread on that one.
Also, I'm sure K'Tesh will want scans with a rule of everything...and me too!
It's a way cool kit.

Back to my Estes Vigilante again. Waited for my Deft Lacquer Sealer to come in. Sealed the fins, sanded, and now primer. The original has been through a lot and was at one point painted black. It will be nice to see it like it should be.
Vigilante Primer.jpg

Michael

Started to sand the excess balsa from the MDRM fins and realized that the people in the next room might not appreciate that noise at 4:30am. Brought them to work today and hope to work on them during break times...

Way to go Steven!!!
I wish I would have had the money to bid on it.
But glad I didn't. We would have bid against each other and raised to an outrageous amount, LOL.
You will have to do a build thread on that one.
Also, I'm sure K'Tesh will want scans with a rule of everything...and me too!
It's a way cool kit.

Should arrive in the first week of April. I've got all kinds of low power classics from Estes and Centuri to build.

Built a 38 mm casting stand. Sugar motors coming this weekend!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490745689.149198.jpg

Installed the MDRM MMT. Why do the instructions tell you to apply glue at the 1/4" and 3" positions? The forward centering ring is going to wipe it all away on it's way through the tube...... I suppose maybe some of it stays behind, but is it really significant? (Just an observation and something to ponder....)

One step closer to my L2 attempt.

[video=youtube;rqqCUG_NV5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqqCUG_NV5M[/video]

Got tired of waiting for Quinstar fins to finish drying after papering, so made a 3FBT rocket... no nose cone yet.

The fins look odd in the picture. They're actually angled at the bottom, the that combined with the photo angle makes them look like an optical illusion of sorts.

IMG_2780.jpg

Installed the MDRM MMT. Why do the instructions tell you to apply glue at the 1/4" and 3" positions? The forward centering ring is going to wipe it all away on it's way through the tube...... I suppose maybe some of it stays behind, but is it really significant? (Just an observation and something to ponder....)

I had the same thought during that and several other Estes builds that make the same suggestion. Like you, I surmised that some of the glue does stay behind on the inside of the aft centering ring, to be re-enforced from the rear with another fillet of glue when it's dry. I haven't done any HPR builds, so leaving off the aft centering ring to do internal fillets isn't something I've tried.

Some folks notch the edge of the forering to allow more adhesive to get through to the tail.

Others push up a bead on top but only dryfit the aftring so that after the initial pass is cured they can pop the bottom off and apply the interior fillet.

The latter practice seems to virtually guarantee a solid bond, though there may exist some risk of misalignment.

I just placed an order with Estes. I lost the NC (and my JLA2 :facepalm:) on my Super Nova this past weekend and needed a replacement. While I was there I took advantage of the sales. It's a good thing my GF doesn't see my bank statements :wink:.

the instructions I saw call for three rings of glue (one for each c-ring), one could apply the forward glue slide the mnt in about 3" apply the middle glue ring, then slide the mount the rest of the way in, do the fins and aft ring last.
Rex

(From a couple days ago actually) Turning a "Halloween Alpha III" into my first rocket, an Alpha III, circa 1980-81. The red didn't spray well though and came out splotchy.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490882624.560562.jpg
I still need to mask and paint the roll pattern in black, using the ugly orange decal as my guide.

I also shot my Trajector with gloss black as the base coat for an Alclad finish. I played a little with the Alclad Chrome on my ACME Spitfire, which led to a desire to use it on a larger scale. A bit ambitious perhaps, but we'll see.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490882882.838478.jpg

Pulled my rocket hauling dually into the garage for its semi-annual wax job. Clears the garage door by about one inch on each side . . .

33739008695_3200a134f3_o.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490887625.173741.jpg

I unloaded and checked a big box of rockets for our rocket club that starts next week. I couldn't resist getting a PSII Nike Smoke for myself...

Depression is getting the best of me, though all my stuff is back out of storage....again....I find it hard to get in the mood to build.
Looking at old pdf versions of the catalogs isn't helping me either right now. Seams to be adding to my depression.
All my titebond's froze in the back of my truck, were they were for 3 weeks (Thanks to this stupid apartment complexes ridiculous new manager).
So I conned my wife to getting me a bottle of TBIII so I could continue building.
I coated a body tube, obviously not use to new glue, it ran and sagged like heck. Had to sand it all off and start over again.
Cut, sanded, air foiled new fins for the BT-50 version of the Wizard collection, and puttied with Elmers Wood Filler.
Going to sand that and paper the fins tonight, or at least try to...if I can muster up enough umph to do so.
BTW, they go through managers here as fast as granny changes her undies.

Latest posts

Back