What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is rocket related. Got permission from local farmers to use about a square 1.5 miles of fields. Beans are coming off now, corn in a week or two. I think I've got room for my MPR kits now!

This is rocket related. Got permission from local farmers to use about a square 1.5 miles of fields. Beans are coming off now, corn in a week or two. I think I've got room for my MPR kits now!

Time to fill out FAA paperwork!

lol, I just meant for a nice big field like that, your rockets may start to grow!

Went to CMASS Launch.
Lawn darted me Big Daddy "UnderDog".
But, I did find me RockStar "Purple Haze" out in marsh land in a dry channel.

Got frustrated with all the yard work to do, so I repainted a perfectly good rocket during one of my breaks. :facepalm:

Actually, it was all metallic blue, and looked a little boring, so I painted the lower 1/2 gloss black.

Tell me I'm not alone in taking an old rocket and freshening it up a bit with some new paint ...

Other than supporting CZTeacherman's profligate spending, I also had my first successful DD flight, to a mighty 718 feet. Everything worked, so tomorrow I'll probably go for more altitude.

Got frustrated with all the yard work to do, so I repainted a perfectly good rocket during one of my breaks. :facepalm:

Actually, it was all metallic blue, and looked a little boring, so I painted the lower 1/2 gloss black.

Tell me I'm not alone in taking an old rocket and freshening it up a bit with some new paint ...

You are not alone. I got in on the last Stickershock sale and bought a new set of decals for my old Darkstar Jr. It's getting an new paint job as soon as the temps get down below 100*.

I started a kit bash of an Estes Fat Boy with a Big Daddy Booster (2 stage). Both set up for the Estes F-15 motor. Instead of a boost motor I am setting up the Fat Boy with a drag separate switch to light the sustainer.

Went to the clubs monthly launch and spent the day as RSO, no flights for me today, but it was still fun being Pad Führer. We had lots of great flights, since with all the fires and stuff in Washington we had one of the few HPR sites actually able to launch this month. The weather was great at 76 degrees F, winds variable 5-10 mph and very high light clouds. One flier almost managed to hit the only swimming pool within 5 miles of the launch site, the only thing that saved the rocket was a tree, of course our site is located on a sod farm in the middle of the desert, it was good for some laughs.

I FINALLY broke a nearly 2 year long streak of not flying rockets.:D

I found a suitable field to fly my RC helis and turns out it is also suitable for flying low to modest altitude rockets. I flew the following

Estes Mini Fat Boy - A10-3T - my first flight in nearly 2 years - this little rocket really goes like heck.

Fliskits Trifecta - A10-0T, A10-0T, A10-0T - awesome, that is all I can say.

Squirrel Works Acorn - C6-5 - nice flight, too long of a delay. The C6-3 would work much better. Parachute came out but became a parawad. No damage though.

Estes Flip Flyer - B6-4 - neat rocket - recovered as intended.

Estes Flip Flyer - C6-5 - awesome flight - thought I might be pushing the limits of this field on this flight but since there was no wind, both parts practically landed back at the pad. Both parts also circled each other on the way down and descended at the same rate. Really, really neat to watch.

Man, did that ever feel good to be able to burn some BP again.:wink:

Last edited:
I launched three rockets at the hacker space I joined a while back :)

First two had a 3D printed fin can -

[video=youtube;-bnSpvP3CLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnSpvP3CLA[/video]

[video=youtube;X7ZVSTZD5Kc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ZVSTZD5Kc[/video]

Two different fin can designs. Both launched on a A10-3.

And the 3rd was an Art Applewhite saucer :)

[video=youtube;dqR7Kfqi07k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqR7Kfqi07k[/video]

Saucer launched on an G78 Green motor :)

Three videos filmed at 240fps & playback at 24fps.

Krusty

Glued cable tunnels on TLP FLAIL and worked some on MIM-23B improved HAWK fins.

My 100lb Kevlar line finally came in so I was able to bridle my Single Skin Steerable Parachute. Overall I'm pretty happy with it:

[video=youtube;cwzfTMIDBSw]Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwzfTMIDBSw[/video]

On Saturday at the TWA launch at Bong, My 12 year old daughter Sabrina Joined Tripoli (she is already a NAR member) ... and PASSED the TMP Exam.

https://www.tripoli.org/TMP

Here she is preping her "YO FAT!" Metalflake Orange Fat Boy on a D12-3

Congrats Sabrina!

sabrinatpm.jpg

Finally had a chance to edit together a video from my club's most recent launch. It was "Classics" day and a lot of cool classic designs (both original and repro) got some air time.

[video=youtube;TD8wTjX5AoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD8wTjX5AoU[/video]

My larger rockets seem to need new paint (a touch-up at least) more often than they fly.

-- Roger

...done it more than once...

On my lunch hour, I helped a Cub Scout mom pick out a rocket kit for her 7-year-old's scout launch at Hobby Lobby. Set her up with an Estes Generic E2X and some A8-3 motors, and explained the importance of wadding. I like to thing I did my part to bring up the next generation of rocketeers. :)

Got my Blackhawk 54 "Silver Streak" back together today. Put a removable internal retainer in the fincan, held in place with 6-32 flat head screws and pem nuts. Rebuilt the avbay and drogue recovery after the Aeropac MD retainer trashed it.
Also put the second set of external fillets on my replacement 3" Darkstar fincan. Should be done with it this week.

replaced the payload section and shock cord(including mount) of my starlight saber.
Rex

20150928_191455 (Large).jpg

This weekend I just about finished my first M/HPR build. It's an Estes Argent and it's now ready for it's first coat of primer. I tried a bunch of new things on this build, and I'm pretty sure it'll all work out :

• epoxy MMT and fin fillets
  • baffle in tube coupler
  • kevlar shock cord
  • bondo spot putty to fill spiral and transitions
  • poly on the plywood fins
Actually, that seems like a lot of new stuff. I sure hope it works out :eyepop: I'll start painting it this week and hopefully will launch in another week and a half.

And yes, the epoxy was probably overkill on this build, but I thought it'd be a good idea to practice on a cheap rocket before I try it on a more expensive fiberglass one. I'm pretty happy with how it all went together and looking forward to picking up a fiberglass kit of some kind for my next project.

View attachment 273280

This weekend I just about finished my first M/HPR build. It's an Estes Argent and it's now ready for it's first coat of primer. I tried a bunch of new things on this build, and I'm pretty sure it'll all work out :

• epoxy MMT and fin fillets
  • baffle in tube coupler
  • kevlar shock cord
  • bondo spot putty to fill spiral and transitions
  • poly on the plywood fins
Actually, that seems like a lot of new stuff. I sure hope it works out :eyepop: I'll start painting it this week and hopefully will launch in another week and a half.

And yes, the epoxy was probably overkill on this build, but I thought it'd be a good idea to practice on a cheap rocket before I try it on a more expensive fiberglass one. I'm pretty happy with how it all went together and looking forward to picking up a fiberglass kit of some kind for my next project.

With the kevlar shock cord it's a good idea to toughen up the end of the body tube where the cord passes over it. One way is to make up a little epoxy and with a glove on (Latex or whatever you use) rub it into the cardboard to make it more resistant to cutting. Medium CA also works good for this. A wrap of some kind of plastic tape on the cord where it passes through the end is also a good idea. It spreads the load.

All of this is to help with NOT learning another new skill, the repair of the Dreaded Zipper ;)

Back