What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knife edged the fins on my Dark(ish) Star. Would have been way easier before I bonded them into the body tube, but I thought I didn't have the time. Now that the TCC launch is cancelled I have all weekend.

1431726514456.jpg

I just finished up my second Estes V-2. After wet sanding to remove the paint mask ridges, I decided to retape the paint lines and touch up the yellow, sort of reverse mask compared to what I'd done originally. Then I used a small brush and sprayed the yellow into a cup and touched up the areas where the black had bled over the yellow. Obviously, I had put a couple of coats on to hide the black. But in the end, it looked pretty good - much better than the fuzzy lines. And the paint match was dead on. So, with that dry, I put the decals on, decals I'd been sitting on since late last year when I thought this build would go fast. Anyway, here it is, also posing with my other V-2:
WP_003211.jpgWP_003212.jpg

I just finished up my second Estes V-2. After wet sanding to remove the paint mask ridges, I decided to retape the paint lines and touch up the yellow, sort of reverse mask compared to what I'd done originally. Then I used a small brush and sprayed the yellow into a cup and touched up the areas where the black had bled over the yellow. Obviously, I had put a couple of coats on to hide the black. But in the end, it looked pretty good - much better than the fuzzy lines. And the paint match was dead on. So, with that dry, I put the decals on, decals I'd been sitting on since late last year when I thought this build would go fast. Anyway, here it is, also posing with my other V-2:
View attachment 263366View attachment 263367

Beautiful V2s!:clap:

Building a modified Formula 75 - 3" G12 FG airframe with a 38mm motor mount and an E-bay for dual deploy recovery. The original design is ~48" long, mine is 58.5" long. This one will fly 'naked'. I've named it 'Formula 75+".

Construction-wise, all that is left to do is finish the internal fillets (using Aeropoxy 6209 with 1/8" FG shards mixed-in), install the aft centering ring and the Aeropack retainer...

Launched my Wildman 4" V2 for the 1st time. Flew it on a J430, drogueless with the main at 600. No drogue because of the wind. Perfect launch, perfect flight, perfect deployment and a wet landing in a canal. Rocket was fine but unfortunately the av-bay was full of water. Still a great day!

Flew Super Science Bertha on a G76 today @ Bong. Full "Science" payload including Altimeter, Eggfinder, and Mobius HD Video.

[YOUTUBE]Zt-Wg2ZtYIE[/YOUTUBE]

Not a doggone thing.

I spent the day at a friend's ranch coaching a backyard Highland Games competition with friends and relatives for the championship of the universe. We all enjoyed the beautiful weather and BBQ. I secretly wished I could have flown my L2 cert at Dairy Aire but didn't let that spoil my enjoyment of what I was doing.

Ground tested deployment charges for my L3 cert Ultimate Wildman.

Great Jeff. I did mine last weekend. A 8" tube uses a LOT of powder. 6g was just about right for my main. That was a big boom and lots of smoke for my back yard in town... :eek:
No neighbor complaints though, so its all good.
Now, fingers crossed for good weather next weekend @ Mini MWP Wildman meatfest extravaganza!!

Adrian

Last edited:
Did this layout for a launch control panel in Silhouette Studio (for cutting the vinyl graphics). I scanned the actual prototype aluminum panel with cutouts made and worked up the vinyl layout over the top of it with some fill transparency so I could see what's going on. A 3S LiPo will be attached with Velcro below the logo and above the controls, and I'm planning to attach a safe-distance chart in the lower left area. It goes in a Seahorse 300 series weatherproof case. There will be a matching relay box that goes in the next smaller sized case.
Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 1.05.56 AM.jpg
The launch button will be this gem, which somebody posted in another thread recently:
FireMissiles_Button.jpg
:grin::grin::grin:

Beautiful V2s!:clap:

Thank you, sir. Hopefully, today will see both fly.

Yesterday I got 10 flights in at the URRG launch, including the maiden flight of my stretched Mean Machine Der Mean Max, which was also my first flight on a composite motor, and first flight on the "big" rail pad. Great flight, I got a crappy video of it. Straight up, then about 2000' downwind. Both sections landed about 10' from each other. The field was being tilled as we flew, so some of it was very soft. I had no landing related damage to anything, though my Advanced Target Drone clone suffered a minor zipper. It will be 1/4" shorter when returned to flight rotation.

I'm going back down today to launch more.

Got tubing from LOC yesterday and today started cutting out pieces to repair my Doorknob. A little epoxy, a little paint and it'll be ready for another Level 2 attempt.

100_3031a.jpg

Made a new base for my combo rail from a water filled thing that is originally used as an anchor base for table umbrellas.:)
The base when filled with water weighs about 15lbs or so, and it does not matter that it is not adjustable for angle as the rockets I'de fly from this are the ones I only fly in zero wind.
Now I don't have to screw around with undoing the LPR mount base I made for my Christmas tree stand pad when I want to do MPR, and this is much sturdier.

New Launch Base 2015-05-17 002.jpg

Worked on the FrenzyXL clone today some more, actually glued the first parts together (the centering rings). Tomorrow will be lots more gluing, slotting and general stickiness, also adding the shock cord attachment loops Wildman style to the mmt since the 54mm in a 3" airframe doesn't leave much room for a eyebolt or u-bolt.
L2project8-3.jpg L2project8-2.jpg

Bought one of these Dremel 543 cutters couple of days ago, looking forward to trying it out for slotting the glassed airframes.
View attachment 263507

5x8' Nothing Fancy, but it does have 3/8" plywood walls, 3/4" floors, undercoated, LED tail lights, side vents and rear stabilizer jacks. Going to put shelves in and some rocket stands/holders. Already have the whole thing mapped out. Going to be a blessing to have for the trip to Potter for LDRS!

Well, after some consideration, I opted to get a 5x10 instead. It also was a full foot taller inside, and wound up almost $300 cheaper!

New Trailer.jpg[

Made it to the SARA club launch. Good time flying. Lots of nice folks and rockets. Lost a 29/40-120 case, boo! Ordered anther one.

Did this layout for a launch control panel in Silhouette Studio (for cutting the vinyl graphics). I scanned the actual prototype aluminum panel with cutouts made and worked up the vinyl layout over the top of it with some fill transparency so I could see what's going on. A 3S LiPo will be attached with Velcro below the logo and above the controls, and I'm planning to attach a safe-distance chart in the lower left area. It goes in a Seahorse 300 series weatherproof case. There will be a matching relay box that goes in the next smaller sized case.
View attachment 263412
The launch button will be this gem, which somebody posted in another thread recently:
View attachment 263413
:grin::grin::grin:

So this is what you do when you are not primering rockets ...very cool !

Kenny

Received an order from Hobbylinc. A glider kit, an E2X kit for my youngest and some E motors. Hope to get some birds in the sky this weekend.

It's funny.
All Winter I was waiting for summer again so I could have this "Epic Building/Painting Time", yet some how life is conspiring against me with yard and auto care, both financially and physically.:(
I at least got my new launch pad design to fit together perfectly today, and after I test it it will be worth mentioning as something people will be sure to appreciate as much as I do for all of the uncomplicated design features.
I'm going to call it "Pad 42", because it is the Answer to the question.:wink:

I (finally) received a package from Rocketarium, containing parts for the 4" Der V-3 that I'm planning. I say finally because USPS still can't be relied on to deliver in a timely manner, even when the delivery timeline is supposedly guaranteed.

Anyway, over the past weekend, I spent a good part of both days at the URRG launch. I got 20 flights in, 10 Saturday & 10 Sunday:
WP_003234.jpg

For me, this included flying a composite motor for the first time, as well as first time launching off of the "big" pads with my Der Mean Max. That actually flew both days. I also tried out my new quick-change pad for the first time as well, URRG allowing me to set up between the low & high power pads and tying into their launch control. The new pad worked quite well; I flew several flights off of the 20mm rail and 1/4" rod, but only one from the 10mm rail. Like others have said, the Micro Buttons do bind a bit on the Makerbeam. I thought I was OK with that, but it turned out that once the rocket cocked a little under thrust, it became sticky. My Baby Bertha demonstrator used most of its A8 thrust to get off the rail, and burned out about 20 feet above it. No harm done though. All-in-all, a good weekend. I'll post more detail and photos elsewhere.

I primered and wet sanded some saucer guts for Stickershock Mark -still need for him to pick a color.

Also sealed the fin slots and injected first of the PunisheR internals.

Oh and made a carbon hairball

Kenny

1431990919085.jpg

1431990931754.jpg

1431990942916.jpg

Back