What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Submitted an apogee article on a glow in the dark rocket without the use of any lights;)

Rebuilt this: https://www.rocketreviews.com/squirrel-works-red-baron.html
I almost tossed the remains when it crashed a few years back, but couldn't bring myself to do the deed. Today I found the pile in the shop and noticed that the breaks were all pretty clean. They almost snapped back together. Not sure if it will fly or not, but I'll at least give it a try.
Cool! I have both the small and large red baron kits which I've been wanting to build (that and like a hundred other kits). I guess I'm a glutton for punishment! :)

Built a K454 Skid for "Silver Streak" my Blackhawk 54, a K750 Red Lightning for "Rapiditty" my RW X-celerator, and packed the truck for tomorrows launch. Watched Sharon build a K513 for her "Jimbo Jart" and an I211 for her "Dark Jart". Then loaded these rockets into the truck. We also had two rockets previously loaded from last month's launch that got winded out. What's the chances of us flying six dual deploy rockets in one day? WHO CARES! It will be fun regardless...
We're trying to fit in as much flying as we can into one day, Sharon's business is keeping us hopping, so we can't spend the whole weekend at the launch.

I also worked on the instructions I'm writing for Wildman and the new Blackhawk 54 he will have available soon. It will be much lighter than the one I'm flying tomorrow. It's a lot harder to write instructions than it is to do a build thread!

Almost ready for a daytime test launch at tomorrows Desert Heat Launch. It is so long and so oddly shaped that is quite a handful to work with.
pre-launch.jpg

Last edited:
Stood in the flurries, sleet, drizzle while the TARC team I oversee did their certification flights. Good scores; hopefully it will be enough for nationals. A big thanks to Greg R. for being our official.

Doug

I popped a saucer shell out today and trimmed.

Tried to do a wrap of the paper mmt , but trimmed 2nd time thinking it was too long but the fg had shifted on tube from the line and came up short.

Since the tube was hosed anyway. .i placed the cut off piece back and got it to lay down.. then wrapped in mylar 'Coker' style. . Will see tomorrow if it comes out finishable

Kenny

1427517181221.jpg

Last edited:
Finished my "A" Super-Roc for tomorrow's launch. 18mm diameter and 27 grams dry; 44 grams loaded. Sim run indicates ~350 feet. With the expected winds tomorrow, I'll be tickled pink to get 325.

Yesterday I started getting ready for tomorrow's launch.
Today I'm going to take my HAM radio test in a couple minutes- It's a full weekend!

Nate

And.............. Passed my Ham radio test. WooHoo!!

Nate

Last edited:
Went and recovered the airframe of a Crossfire ISX that was treed on June 16th of last year and came down recently.:)

recovered crossfire isx 001.jpgrecovered crossfire isx 004.jpgrecovered crossfire isx 005.jpgrecovered crossfire isx 006.jpg

Nose is still up there.

recovered crossfire isx 002.jpg

It was great that it stayed up there so long, but it is equally great that I was able to go retrieve it and clean up after myself so that the folks that have to maintain the Park realize that I don't leave messes behind. I'm friends with those folks, and they are fine with people flying in the Park, so I go out of my way to pick up after myself and also pick up any litter I see when I'm there.
I'm trying to establish a good reputation for responsible stewardship of the Hobby, that other local Fields will be welcoming of me asking to launch there.
I really need a bigger field this year!!!

Last edited:
And.............. Passed my Ham radio test. WooHoo!!

Nate

Yes, Congratulations!!!
We had a HAM Radio in our classroom in 7th and 8th Grade and the Teacher was licensed. There was also a HAM radio Club with said teacher after school. I did'nt attend, but it was all fascinating stuff.

Sprayed another primer coat.
IMG_1598.jpg

It always amazes me how I think I've sanded everything down smoothly only to have all the bumps and warts appear with another coat. Oh well, more sanding to do. :sigh:

Went and recovered the airframe of a Crossfire ISX that was treed on June 16th of last year and came down recently.:)

View attachment 259311View attachment 259312View attachment 259313View attachment 259314

Nose is still up there.

View attachment 259315

It was great that it stayed up there so long, but it is equally great that I was able to go retrieve it and clean up after myself so that the folks that have to maintain the Park realize that I don't leave messes behind. I'm friends with those folks, and they are fine with people flying in the Park, so I go out of my way to pick up after myself and also pick up any litter I see when I'm there.
I'm trying to establish a good reputation for responsible stewardship of the Hobby, that other local Fields will be welcoming of me asking to launch there.
I really need a bigger field this year!!!

Will you be able to salvage any of it? The fins look pretty good.

Discovered that my Wildman V2 Sport needs a bit of noseweight. Great curly-cue flight on a G54, though. ;-)

Will you be able to salvage any of it? The fins look pretty good.

Already begun the rebuild.:)
Fins, Tail Cone and Motor Retainer Clip will all fly again. I don't have any 18mm Birds right now so I'm going to stay with 18mm like the original.

Tail Cone and retainer Clip 002.jpgTreed Crossfire Rebuild 002.jpg

Treed Crossfire Rebuild 003.jpgTreed Crossfire Rebuild 005.jpgTreed Crossfire Rebuild 008.jpg
Treed Crossfire Rebuild 009.jpgTreed Crossfire Rebuild 013.jpg

Treed Crossfire Rebuild 001.jpgTreed Crossfire Rebuild 003.jpg
Dry fitting everything first as usual so that it comes out nice and there are no surprises or parts that don't fit right when they have glue on them.

Last edited:
Worked with WeFly2 on his Punisher AV-BAY..but only got the sled and alts mounted..but looks good.

Unwrapped the tube i fg last night and was plesantly surprised...almost completely smooth.

Then got restless and went back in the garage .. and made some av-bay lids for the SuperJart 38.

Kenny

Last edited:
Had a perfect day for the DARS HP launch yesterday, and got a perfect flight out of my Arapahoe-J for my L2 certification.

Pics here.

Had a perfect day for the DARS HP launch yesterday, and got a perfect flight out of my Arapahoe-J for my L2 certification.

Pics here.

Yes indeed, a PERFECT DAY! Sorry I missed your L-2 certification, so here's a belated congratulations to you Chris. I did get to see your Arapahoe-J in person and must say that even your fine photography does not do it justice. Very nice!

PML Excalibur - Last night I turned the coupler section into an av-bay...I have never done a dd so I am trying to figure out what to use for ejectio charge. Today I am sanding and filling fillets. Coating with primer to find flaws.

Launched my niece's "Flat Stanley" on the outside of a naked Estes Hornet. Nice straight boost on a B6-4 and Stanley (still on the rocket) was recovered safely about 25 feet from pad.

1427655255979.jpg

1427655269364.jpg

Back