What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to the point where I could put primer on the sustainer of my Mad Cow 4" Honest John. The fins came out much better than I thought they would and will require very little additional filling.

4" Honest John gets initial primer.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered my epoxy from US Composites, half gallon kit (should last a long time for me), along with qt sizes of Cabosil and Phenolic Microballons, and a pint size 1/32 milled fiber. The build thread is just around the corner now.

Managed to squeeze in some rocket time tonight. Got the first lower fin on my madcow 4"pike. Just 2 more fins to go!

I only browsed the forum rocketry wise today ..broke my leg ice skating with daughter :(

Kenny

Had the Princess reach her narrow hand down into the tube fin booster section and remove the quick link so that I could detach the shock tubular nylon shockcord and replace it with a 28" kevlar bridle. Thought I could just loop the shock cord and bridle loops through each other but the loops I sewed are too small. Will move the current shock cord to the payload bay for the main chute and nose cone...and stitch up another shock cord with longer loops. At least the kevlar bridle is installed.

Spent a portion of the afternoon drilling out the access port for the altimeter switch. Thought ahead and taped the empty av-bay into the payload bay and drilled all the previously marked holes (switch access port and snap rivets). Applied CA, sanded, filed, and generally cleaned up the holes. Everything fit just fine and that portion of the project is complete.

Sanded the payload bay to remove the "shine" of the glassine layer and will lay down a primer coat tomorrow if the weather cooperates. I refuse to fill grooves and prime instead. After several coats of primer, the tube will be surfaced to an acceptable level.

Cleaned up the Mongoose and downloaded the Stratologger and RRC3. Sharon can fit her hand inside a 3" tube, so she helped clean the payload tube. Also cleaned the CTI 4 grain casing I flew the L1115 in. Recharged the LiPo battery for the Eggfinder after leaving in on all day. Got distracted at the launch Saturday and forgot to disconnect it, ran for ten hours and still had the lights on and 7.4v on a 2s, 950 Mah Tenergy LiPo.

I cleaned up my "rocket crap" and got it all back in the closet where it belongs when not working on it. Thought about giving my Punisher parts a bath, but decided to wait until I have everything I need to start building it. (I want to order some RocketPoxy for this and my ARLISS-K rocket.) Also took a look at what I need to order separately from the group buy of ARLISS-K parts I'm part of. (basically a MMT and NC from PML and recovery bridles from OneBadHawk most likely)

Over the past few days I’ve applied the white and black paint to the booster of my “Aerobee-Hi” and the orange to the sustainer.

I also applied the Dk. Gray base color to “Dahak” and was spraying the red secondary color when the can quit working. Now I have to either order another can of that color, not available locally, or use a different “Red” that is available locally.

I really need a new camera.

We lost my son's alpha III to a tree over the weekend so I bought 2 Astra kits today, one for him and one for my daughter. Bought a newway Lune-R 4 for myself while I was at it. Looking forward to building mine and helping with my daughter. I'm pretty sure my son can handle the build by himself- he's 8 and he's pretty good with his hands.

I discovered that I had not glued in the shock cord on my Loadstar II rocket that I thought I had completed two weeks ago... Oops!

Also have decided to give it one more shot of rattle can paint before placing the waterslide decals on the fins, and tying on the parachute. (Guess there was more left undone than I had realized!)

Received and assembled a raven 38mm av-bay kit today. Its really nice how small and light it is.

Built a Darkstar Mini Micro (A modified Estes Hi-Flyer) and ordered and RRC2+ and a 54mm Sled from Missile Works! I'm ready to break into the Dual Deploy world...

Sanded the filled spirals on my 29mm Big Daddy. Got the fins papered. Looks like major assembly starts tomorrow after work!

Clear coated the vent bands (again) of the two alt bays I've been working on. Finally got that glossy finish I'm happy with.

Stitched up a 15' drogue shock cord to replace the 12 footer I'd initially stuck in the bird and cut the 25' main chute shock cord that I will stitch tomorrow. I love that red 1/2" tubular nylon from Sports Chalet.

Drilled a vent hole in the tube fin rocket's booster section.

Added epoxy+microballoon fillets to the Ventris, touched up R2-D2's legs, and added some reinforcement to the Saturn V fairings...

Got rid of Internet Explorer and installed Firefox and got AdBlock Plus.:D
Now this site loads faster and I am having a much more pleasant browsing experience.
I thought it was just this Site that was messing up my Computer, but it was totally IE and Pop-ups.

I did that 2 weeks ago.
The only difference was that it wasn't fully charged before I flew it.
It ran for about 6 hrs: 1 hr before launch+ flight time and recovery+ 3 hr drive home.
When I went to disconnect it, it was dead.... not good being a lipo.

It needed some CPR before it would take a real charge.

JD

Cleaned up the Mongoose and downloaded the Stratologger and RRC3. Sharon can fit her hand inside a 3" tube, so she helped clean the payload tube. Also cleaned the CTI 4 grain casing I flew the L1115 in. Recharged the LiPo battery for the Eggfinder after leaving in on all day. Got distracted at the launch Saturday and forgot to disconnect it, ran for ten hours and still had the lights on and 7.4v on a 2s, 950 Mah Tenergy LiPo.

Threw together some stuff and came up with this BT-60 MMT/Retainer Assembly.
Dry Fit, 15g.
It's put together with JB Weld and in the Cabinet drying/curing.:)
I'll be doing another 24mm BT-60 Patriot M-104 Style Rocket. Entirely from scratch this time.

NewMMTRetainer 056.jpg

Last edited:
Back