What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepped 7 rockets last night for PMW's launch tomorrow morning. Looking forward trying out my new T3 tracker!
-Missing Arrow (estes Fletcher) for A10s
-Astron Skydart for B6s
-GBI mk18 (scratch Induction rocket) on a D10 (!headsup!)
-Goldenrod (estes mammoth) on an F42
-Fissile Missile (DD Argent) on an F40
-Vertigo II (electronic Ventris) on a G77
-Big Sam (4" Patriot) on an I303

May throw a couple 24mm rockets in the box tonight for if I have time tomorrow.
My uncle will be coming along for the show. (he's a long time CFD guy, and it's hilarious to hear him grumble about under-expanded motor nozzles or how smoky motors are burning too fuel rich)

Prepped 7 rockets last night for PMW's launch tomorrow morning. Looking forward trying out my new T3 tracker!
-Missing Arrow (estes Fletcher) for A10s
-Astron Skydart for B6s
-GBI mk18 (scratch Induction rocket) on a D10 (!headsup!)
-Goldenrod (estes mammoth) on an F42
-Fissile Missile (DD Argent) on an F40
-Vertigo II (electronic Ventris) on a G77
-Big Sam (4" Patriot) on an I303

May throw a couple 24mm rockets in the box tonight for if I have time tomorrow.
My uncle will be coming along for the show. (he's a long time CFD guy, and it's hilarious to hear him grumble about under-expanded motor nozzles or how smoky motors are burning too fuel rich)
Launch is Sunday now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Had a great launch with RIMRA today. Perfect weather, but a ton of CATOs.

My daughter flew a Comanche 3 on a D12-0 --> C6-0 --> B6-4. We knew the sustainer ignition was successful only because we could hear it--after two boosters, it was completely out of sight. Amazingly, we recovered all three stages in prefect condition. I thought it would be my lucky day......not quite. The rocket gods still demanded a sacrifice.

IMG_1162.jpg

Last edited:
A sleepy driver almost killed my family & me today on the way back from our Disneyland/Legoland vacation: https://imgur.com/gallery/HLqnO/

...then I got home, had a few drinks, and designed a simple "penguin" paint scheme for my daughter's Formula 38. (The purple's there because it matches one of her penguin stuffed animals.) We'll see what her comments are tomorrow...
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 12.08.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 12.07.29 AM.png

That is a paint job design to be proud of. Totally awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A sleepy driver almost killed my family & me today on the way back from our Disneyland/Legoland vacation: https://imgur.com/gallery/HLqnO/

...then I got home, had a few drinks, and designed a simple "penguin" paint scheme for my daughter's Formula 38. (The purple's there because it matches one of her penguin stuffed animals.) We'll see what her comments are tomorrow...
View attachment 332413 View attachment 332414

Wow, that is scary. Glad you all were unscathed...hope the younger set weren't too shaken up. Paint scheme looks awesome.

Did the driver of the flying car survive?

Wow, that is scary. Glad you all were unscathed...hope the younger set weren't too shaken up. Paint scheme looks awesome.

Did the driver of the flying car survive?
Yeah, I'm glad we're ok too. After I made sure my family was ok, I ran up to the car. I expected the drive to be messed up, but he was just dazed & bruised up a little. I asked him to sit in the car until the paramedics got there, but he got out after a few minutes and walked up to the Fire Dept & EMTs when they showed up. Pretty amazing.

Rockets: My daughter vetoed my paint job design from last night. We worked on it a bit this morning and this is what she decided on. I don't like it as much, but it's her rocket! It should be easy to paint.

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 8.41.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 8.41.08 AM.png

Today I killed both my Crossfire and Amazon. Both died on their first flight with my new Altimeter Three. For the Crossfire there was no ejection, for the Amazon the nose cone popped but the chute stuck in the body tube. Both rockets were destroyed on impact.

Oh well, I have some idea what I was doing wrong and it's incentive to get my Fletcher built! I'm doing minimum diameter with streamer recovery. I bet it really goes on a D9-7!

The penguin was cool....this is cooler. :D
Thanks man. Now that it's painted, I really like it too. It’s a quick rattle can job, but good enough!

My daughter changed her mind a few more times, but here are the final renderings:
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 1.12.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 1.12.25 PM.png

And here's the painted rocket (with my daughter about to lose a tooth):
IMG_4679.jpg IMG_4683.jpg IMG_4663.jpg photo.jpg

And for good measure, here's my son with his. It still needs clear, but that's it.
photo 2.jpg

Last edited:
Groucho, glad you and the family made it through your ordeal unscathed. Most people don't realize how dangerous driving tired/sleepy really is until something like this happens.

Paint jobs look great. The Penguin will be hard to see in the air, but should be visible on the ground. You are obviously some sort of rattle can ninja. I am lucky to get 2 colors on a model without screwing it up!

Groucho, glad you and the family made it through your ordeal unscathed. Most people don't realize how dangerous driving tired/sleepy really is until something like this happens.
Thanks Terry. Happy to be here!
...You are obviously some sort of rattle can ninja. I am lucky to get 2 colors on a model without screwing it up!
Nah, the pictures look better than real life. ;) They're about "5 foot" paint jobs. Having a vinyl cutter really unlocks easy cool patterns with rattle cans (or any spray paint, I guess). I'm going to play around with the Saran Wrap technique (to create a marble-ish kinda look) with my Mouse 38. I'm still dreaming up what to do with my Broken Arrow.

Thanks man. Now that it's painted, I really like it too. It’s a quick rattle can job, but good enough!

My daughter changed her mind a few more times, but here are the final renderings:
View attachment 332465 View attachment 332466

And here's the painted rocket (with my daughter about to lose a tooth):
View attachment 332467 View attachment 332469 View attachment 332470 View attachment 332471

And for good measure, here's my son with his. It still needs clear, but that's it.
View attachment 332472

From design concept to painted (with what I assume is several masking layers) was awfully quick! how are you doing this so damned fast? (or was your daughter's rocket already white base coated and your son's painted previously?)

From design concept to painted (with what I assume is several masking layers) was awfully quick! how are you doing this so damned fast? (or was your daughter's rocket already white base coated and your son's painted previously?)
I cheat to the max extent possible. :)

I primed the rockets a while ago. After that, I waited 48 hours & wet sanded them. Then I waited a day and did the base coats. My son knew what he wanted on his rocket, so I was able to cut the vinyl mask & shoot the color (red, then yellow over parts of it) after his black base coat was dry.

For my daughter's rocket, it was primed & base coated white before today. I cut the mask this morning & did the blue & purple in a total of 3 quick coats. The nose cone didn't require any mask, so I shot the yellow & then the orange over it a few minutes later. After the body had the blue & purple on it, I pulled the mask off as soon as I could. After an hour or so, I shot the clear on her rocket.

Since my son's red & yellow were shot a week ago, I was able to wet sand it today to smooth the edges & bring out a red outline on the tips of the flame. We got busy with other family stuff, so I didn't get to his clear today. I should be able to finish it tomorrow evening though. That'll give them both plenty time to dry before flying them next weekend.

I cheat to the max extent possible. :)

I primed the rockets a while ago. After that, I waited 48 hours & wet sanded them. Then I waited a day and did the base coats. My son knew what he wanted on his rocket, so I was able to cut the vinyl mask & shoot the color (red, then yellow over parts of it) after his black base coat was dry.

For my daughter's rocket, it was primed & base coated white before today. I cut the mask this morning & did the blue & purple in a total of 3 quick coats. The nose cone didn't require any mask, so I shot the yellow & then the orange over it a few minutes later. After the body had the blue & purple on it, I pulled the mask off as soon as I could. After an hour or so, I shot the clear on her rocket.

Since my son's red & yellow were shot a week ago, I was able to wet sand it today to smooth the edges & bring out a red outline on the tips of the flame. We got busy with other family stuff, so I didn't get to his clear today. I should be able to finish it tomorrow evening though. That'll give them both plenty time to dry before flying them next weekend.

I am totally jealous of your vinyl cutter...

No way I can afford something like that right now so I guess I’m stuck with my roll of frisket film and a sharp #11...

[emoji12]

No way I can afford something like that right now so I guess I’m stuck with my roll of frisket film and a sharp #11...

[emoji12]

I have been working with my wifes Cricut Explore Air 2, and once you learn how to use the online software its amazing what you can do with it. I currently have the Cricut Maker on my list of items to purchase (not looking to happen anytime soon).

As for rocket stuff today, it was mostly planning out my build list for the off season:

Build clubs LPR rod bases and my version of the Spad Pad x12 (prototype of base is done already)

Finish the Nike Hercules, Super Neon, and Estes Merc Redstone

Build an Estes Optima clone with 29mm MMT using BT80H airframe, a Wizard, Viking x6 (different fin configs, for demonstration a Cub Scout/Youth builds), Sport Scale Nike Cajun, Orbital Transport, PS Patriot clone (29mm not 24mm cluster), 4" Mercury Redstone scale model, 5.38" Mercury Atlas scale model, and 3" Crayons x5 (one for each member of the family).

[emoji12]
That works too! I use a Silhouette Cameo 3 and it's great: https://amzn.to/2hE4POM I bought a 12x24" cutting mat for it: https://amzn.to/2hFCTu2 That lets me cut pretty long masks (e.g. for long flames or whatever). I have a friend who cuts really long masks without a mat,but so far the stock 12x12 and the 12x24 have been great for me. For the vinyl spray paint mask material, I use EnduraMatte from Sign Warehouse. It seems to do well for a spray paint mask and it removes easily.

Baby Bertha in repair (paint prep), Alpha being prepped for color coat, and one being prototyped :). Was wet sanding the BB and noticed the fin wiggled. Some water had gotten underneath the trailing edge of the fin and the glue softened :facepalm:. Can't have a wigglin' fin so cut, peel, reglue, and sand it is but hopefully done by week's end.

IMG_8630.jpg

Stole about an hour in the shop before going to work this morning. Finished repairs on the Plan B MkI/a (really looking forward to hearing the LCO read that over the PA). Decided against a baffle, but did go much longer on the motor tube. Also, since I couldn't think of anything to do with a 5 inch cut-off of BT80, the rebuild is about 5 inches taller than the original. Just needs paint and rail guides, then it can go up on the shelf until spring.

stuffertube.pngreadyforpaint.png

I shot the clear on my son's Formula 38. The kid rockets are done! (...well, except for the Eggfinder Minis I'm going to put in them)

IMG_4719.jpg

Mongeese? Mongoosi? Mongoze? Whatever....they're pretty, and they're going to look even prettier wrapped around a Loki 38/1200.

7oMR295l.jpg

Also have new 18" and 30" ultralight Spherachutes to go along with these. I still have some work to do to decide on deployment configuration, but the 30" will be used in the Mongoose and Go Devil 38, and the 18" will likely only see drogue duty in a Go Devil 54 and Tomach 54. I haven't sized a chute for the 54s as I wanted to see how well the ultralight Spherachutes worked out first. I think they're going to be awesome!

NKGZnLfl.jpg
fGvUgDrl.jpg

Back