What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unpacked the truck and trailer after the Desert Heat launch. Started sorting through all the stuff I got from Roy P., he is selling off some of Gerald Meux Jr.'s stuff. Skippy relocated from L.V. to L.A. and had to downsize. Picked up a bunch of stuff that I documented here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?64436-Scored-big-at-Desert-Heat 130

Then I cleaned some cases and put stuff away in the rocket room. Had a real struggle cleaning a CTI 6 grain casing with a K750 red lightning stuck in it. Anybody know what I can soak it in to get the carbon residue loose?

Ordered the last part of my L2 rocket today. Ordered the RRC3 and a 75mm sled. Stoked!

Due to an alignment of cosmic forces, orders from three companies arrived today:

A bunch of BP E and F motors, plus some B4-2s, from AC Hobby

Parts for some sport models (MRI and FSI clones) and an upscale Centuri Centaur from BMS

Parts for an upscale Astro 1 and some "part elimination models" from Semroc.

I sorted the parts into boxes, and cut up a Quest/MPC T20 tube into 6" pieces for the MRI clones.

Received some Switches today !

Got so excited had to go out to the garage and cut Saucer parts for Fyrwrxz Dave .

Also did external fillets on mini Eagle Claw repair.

Kenny

1396329188638.jpg

1396329218377.jpg

I examined the Goblin 5.5 54mm motor mount I left to cure on my workbench while I was out of town visiting my son and his family.

Left in a rainstorm and came home this afternoon to a rainstorm Good news! There will be rocket launches!

I just placed what will most likely be my last order from SEMROC. I hope they do well in the future, we will miss them.

I ordered every month since my blow-up last April 1st, kind of to attone for what I started. One thing I wished I had done was get the 31 nosecone 1 tailcone rocket built. Carl wanted to see it but I procrastinated too long and he was gone :(

Last edited:

Then I cleaned some cases and put stuff away in the rocket room. Had a real struggle cleaning a CTI 6 grain casing with a K750 red lightning stuck in it. Anybody know what I can soak it in to get the carbon residue loose?

I use standard Break-Free CLP for cleaning firearms. I have run into some cases where it takes a little elbow grease to scrub the residue off, but it works.

Ordered some more stuff from BMS. It appears I am embarking upon a scratch building binge.

Ordered some Super Thin CA.
Oh, and also got the Clear Coat sprayed on my Mega-Man Crossfire.

Last edited:
realized I need to get eyes checked I posted below in the game thread lol

replaced capacitor on a free altimeter I got here on TRF , altimeter tested fine but feel better replacing cap

Hit up the local club meeting where we met at a BBQ place and chatted. I got to pass around the Blender and it was met with awe, questions, and many chuckles.

Last edited:
Sanded some of the miniscule excess epoxy off the motor tube of the Goblin 5.5 so the fin tangs will fit properly. Perfectionism is its own punishment.

Also rounded over the fin tang corners to fit the fillets between motor tube and centering ring.

Finished building the Estes Nike-Smoke. No build thread because it is boring and has been done before. There is nothing unusual about the build cept I used fudd's 1/8" kevlar as a harness and built the fin can in a way (or order) that let me make sure the fin roots were well attached. Doesn't seem to need nose weight even for some insane 29mm loads. Primer is drying...

BTW: Tho obtained from Estes directly the body tube was one of the worst POS' I have seen in a kit without actually being structurally dented. It had little dents and dings everywhere. But I had no confidence in their ability to ship another and not have worse bruises. So I just did what I could with bondo spot putty.

2014-03-29-Nike-Smoke-3.0-0002.jpg

It is not awesome the way I shamelessly promote JonRocket in all my pictures? :) I am still waiting for the check... :eyeroll:

Last edited:
Finished building the Estes Nike-Smoke. No build thread because it is boring and has been done before. There is nothing unusual about the build cept I used fudd's 1/8" kevlar as a harness and built the fin can in a way (or order) that let me make sure the fin roots were well attached. Doesn't seem to need nose weight even for some insane 29mm loads. Primer is drying...

BTW: Tho obtained from Estes directly the body tube was one of the worst POS' I have seen in a kit without actually being structurally dented. It had little dents and dings everywhere. But I had no confidence in their ability to ship another and not have worse bruises. So I just did what I could with bondo spot putty.

View attachment 167771

It is not awesome the way I shamelessly promote JonRocket in all my pictures? :) I am still waiting for the check... :eyeroll:

There IS a lot of Bondo on that tube, Jeff.

That is at least 350 pounds of stinky clumping litter from Sams or Costco.
Did you find a deal or something?
Are the cat(s) going to last that long? I stick with about 100 pounds at a time just in case. Darn thing is 10 years old. I go month by month ;)

EDIT: cat does not care for me much and will live to 20 I bet. Ugh

Last edited:
Finally finished the paint on my Big Daddy. It'll get Stickershocked later this week :)

q1mhsh8.jpg

Interestingly, it looks pretty V2-like. Didn't intend or expect that.

Put some Paint on a Scratch Build. It's really nice outside here today.

Last edited:
Those are some pretty Fresh Steps!
I knew I should crop that photo! :facepalm: more words about the litter than the rocket. I have six super felines. That is about two complete box changes. Three boxes near garage and one top floor.

I really enjoy my kitties and they in turn are very affectionate. But the do create a lot of...
:wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

That's a cool illusion! You shouldn't admit that it wasn't intentional. :)

-- Roger
Ehhh... I don't want to deliberately build models of something that killed thousands of people. Yup, I'm one of those peacenik hippy folk. The unintentional reminiscence I'm ok with.

Finished this little vintage number today. I bought it from LW Bercini, happily replacing the one that I core sampled into Lucerne dry lake in summer 1994. I love the fact that I can still fly this kit on a G125T, as the instructions recommend :).

imagejpg3_zps033e7755.jpg

Finished this little vintage number today. I bought it from LW Bercini, happily replacing the one that I core sampled into Lucerne dry lake in summer 1994. I love the fact that I can still fly this kit on a G125T, as the instructions recommend :).

imagejpg3_zps033e7755.jpg

Beauty. I for some reason really like those. I think it is the substantial fins being broke up a bit for some reason

Beauty. I for some reason really like those. I think it is the substantial fins being broke up a bit for some reason

The parachute that came with the kit was way too small. I'll be recovering this one on an a 72" chute and a cable cutter.

Back