What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Registered for LDRS! Woohoo! Got on the waiting list at the host hotel, and made backup reservations at two other local places. I'm planning to join TRA and fly with METRA sometime this spring, and get all the Tripoli TMP stuff figured out well in advance of June so everything will be in place :) I'm psyched!

Also did more work on the Madcow Frenzy 54. Got most parts sanded and the AV-bay sled layout finalised. Oh, and tested to see if I could fit everything in the (slightly short) payload section. A 20ft Onebadhawk recovery harness and 36" CATO chute fit- barely. It took some stuffing, so I'm planning to take 1/2" off of the NC coupler, which is a generous length.

Studied for the HAM radio test :)

Nate

Weighed my nearly complete BT-60 D-Region Tomahawk scratch build.

D-Reg #1944 004.jpgD-Reg #1944 001.jpgD-Reg #1944 002.jpg

Last edited:
Helped my mom build her Quest Super Bird, and drilled all-thread holes in the av-bay bulkplates for my tomach.

Picked up some basswood stock today to make some rail button blocks to attach to centering rings.

Bought a Sterilite plastic bin to house my epoxy pumps and such. Lined the bottom with blue paper shop towels to soak up the drips and such.

Cut a length of tubular kevlar braid to length for my Madcow Frenzy's y-harness.

Inventoried motors and loaded up a CTI I212SS for my DD flight at Snow Ranch this weekend. Started getting the rocketry gear for a trip to launch site.

Started gluing fins on the Crossfire. Built MMT and cut BT for the downsize Pegasus. As always, contemplating the next build.

Last night, I finished decaling my Astron Cobra clone:
WP_002991.jpgWP_002997.jpgWP_002999.jpg

When I checked the repair of the V-2 fin, I flexed it gently to see if the glue joint held, and the wood cracked open right next to the previous crack. It must be very brittle somehow, so I didn't see any choice but to paper it. I used the balsa sheet that the fins were cut from as a pattern, and was able to get the paper to conform to the already-sanded (and filleted) fin pretty readily. I'll have to do a little more filling and sanding now, but it came out pretty well:
WP_002985.jpgWP_002984.jpg

Now I'm debating papering the other three in the event that the balsa sheet as a whole was brittle and it wasn't just the area that this one fin was in. I probably should.

Picked up 8 more misc rocket kits, nomex protectors, 3 fruity chutes, and misc tools.

I think im well supplied for the building this year!

Helped my mom build her Quest Super Bird, and drilled all-thread holes in the av-bay bulkplates for my tomach.

That's so cool that you can still build Rockets with your Mom.
When I was little my Mom helped me with my rockets and taught me how to properly use tools like X-acto knives and the like. I can safely say that my Mom totally enabled my Rocketry Addiction. She even used to help me try to get rockets out of Trees and came up with some good Ideas involving Slingshots and Archery.
I will make it a goal of mine to take my Mom to one of my launches this year. :)

Launch tomorrow so I've been scrambling to put the final touches on my projects and get everything loaded into the back of the car.

So far today, I ground tested my dual deploy tube fin and all the things leading up to that. Thanks to Chris Attebery for idea of using a shop vacuum to trigger the altimeter. It was great fun and the neighborhood cat thought it was the bomb. Literally.
Made up a Cesaroni I195 Red Lightning motor for this rocket's inaugural dual deploy flight. It's been a trusty rocket and has a lot of launches under its belt. Might as well learn on a rocket that's been there, done that, and has several t-shirts.

Made up an Aerotech I218R motor for my Crayon rocket as well as a Cesaroni I212 Smoky Sam if I can manage another flight. Wishful thinking perhaps but I need to put up more than just one rocket per launch. Tomorrow I'm aiming for three but it depends on the field conditions. Long wind-blown chases are the enemy of multiple flights.

That's so cool that you can still build Rockets with your Mom.
When I was little my Mom helped me with my rockets and taught me how to properly use tools like X-acto knives and the like. I can safely say that my Mom totally enabled my Rocketry Addiction. She even used to help me try to get rockets out of Trees and came up with some good Ideas involving Slingshots and Archery.
I will make it a goal of mine to take my Mom to one of my launches this year. :)

I actually surprised her with a LUNAR membership since I paid the family fee, so she decided that she would need a rocket of her own to launch. She told me to find her one when I went to Bay Area Rocketry, so I chose that one. We painted it today, and I'll post a pic of it tomorrow after we launch it at LUNAR.

As for what I did today, I helped paint her rocket, got my stuff ready for tomorrow's launch, and ordered a digital scale to measure epoxy and BP charges.

Joined NAR, got epoxy on some things (rockets) that needed it, got epoxy on some things (hands, table, tools, etc.) that didn't need it. Finished the major construction of my Cowabunga by having to use a hammer to get the rear centering ring on.

Finished building Estes Mini Fat Boy that I started while working on my PSII Ventris.
I didn't notice that it's actually a stretched Fat Boy until I was done. There must have been some stability issues.

Ordered 8 The Launch Pad kits, 2 retainers, and looking for recovery stuff now.
Money is burning a hole in my pocket and this darn hobby is all about burning money! WEEEEEEEEEE

Launch Pad is still in business? I've been away from the hobby for a long while. Last thing I remember is he stopped making kits.

Renewed NAR membership. Continued building the Solar Flare for the upcoming Desert Heat launch. This is the dry fit from our Feb. launch. Added wire channels last night. Time to start sanding followed by the dreaded prime sand paint cycle (I hate painting).

2nd-dry-fit.jpg

Renewed NAR membership. Continued building the Solar Flare for the upcoming Desert Heat launch. This is the dry fit from our Feb. launch. Added wire channels last night. Time to start sanding followed by the dreaded prime sand paint cycle (I hate painting).

View attachment 256894

That looks awesome!!!

Trimmed the edges on my glass job for the Centuri:

CharlieDog 007.jpgCharlieDog 008.jpg

Got one up.
Me and the dawg chcked out the fields.
Brought a few rockets just in case.
Well, the wind was whipping up and the snow was way deeper than I thought.
I kinda figured a lot of it would hve been blown away.
Anyhoo..I launched "Dementia" on a C6-3.
Wind took the top half out into the field.
After chasing after that thru the snow, I didn't bother to launch the other rockets.
Even Kodiac was long tongue.
Guess we t for a thaw.

DSCN2691.JPG

DSCN2690.JPG

DSCN2689.JPG

DSCN2688.JPG

DSCN2687.JPG

Wanted to launch rockets in the snow with my nephew but the winds were around 20 km/h.

Poked holes in the sky at the LUNAR launch at Snow Ranch.
Put up my first dual deploy flight...success!
Bought my L2 motor and case today: J316 PINK and a CTI 38-5G.
Unloaded the rocket gear, cleaned up rockets, hardware, and fiddly bits.

Worked on the two Crayon Bank rockets (updated build thread in MPR section), bought my 6 year old daughter the Estes Skywriter (E2X) for her birthday plus some B4-4 motors for it (we already have A8-3s around). Tomorrow evening she and I will sit down and put it together, thank goodness next weekend our Club launch (planned one for March that is, Feb launch got moved back a day so technically we are having two in March). Picked up a couple of HDPE bottles with yorker tips from Sally Beauty Supply (yep they had HDPE ones) for decanting my half gallon epoxy container into smaller quantities and easier size to work with. Picked up miscellaneous hardware for rockets. Would have done more rocketry stuff but had to assemble the daughters new Hello Kitty bicycle and spent 3 hours watching the kids while SWMBO went grocery shopping, would have kicked them outside to play since the shop is in the backyard and the big rollup door I made a barrier/fence to keep the kids out while Im working and I would still be able to at least hear them if there was trouble. The baby was the problem, at 9 weeks old taking her into the shop would have gotten me killed by the wife.

Stayed up late last night to do a sled and av bay for the famous Blue By You rocket.

Today I shreaded Annies Mega Der Purple Max on the AT H550ST. It flew well with the H400 VMax previously - fins and tube were fiberglassed , so was surprised at an Epic Shread and raining parts 2 seconds into flight.

Then watched Exactimator CaveDuck and AFischer put up some great flights ! Mark put the Eggfinder to some good use today with his big K flight.

Flew the Blue By You on an I180 SkidMark and the dual deploy worked well .

Was nice to get out to Holtville for the monthly launch and see so many local club members who had wished me well after i broke my leg. Especially Darrel who went to great lengths to recover my long lost Jart . Hope you like the tShirt and the 5m 5050 LED RGB strip.

Thanks to Adam for driving and recovering my rockets today as i was not able to chase them down.

Kenny
set-72157651239667781

Last edited:
Painted today... need to figure out how to do an av bay, going for level 2 cert next weekend' so started studying for the test

hmggPm6.jpg

Worked on the two Crayon Bank rockets (updated build thread in MPR section), bought my 6 year old daughter the Estes Skywriter (E2X) for her birthday plus some B4-4 motors for it (we already have A8-3s around). Tomorrow evening she and I will sit down and put it together, thank goodness next weekend our Club launch (planned one for March that is, Feb launch got moved back a day so technically we are having two in March). Picked up a couple of HDPE bottles with yorker tips from Sally Beauty Supply (yep they had HDPE ones) for decanting my half gallon epoxy container into smaller quantities and easier size to work with. Picked up miscellaneous hardware for rockets. Would have done more rocketry stuff but had to assemble the daughters new Hello Kitty bicycle and spent 3 hours watching the kids while SWMBO went grocery shopping, would have kicked them outside to play since the shop is in the backyard and the big rollup door I made a barrier/fence to keep the kids out while Im working and I would still be able to at least hear them if there was trouble. The baby was the problem, at 9 weeks old taking her into the shop would have gotten me killed by the wife.

...yeah, doctor's recommend at least 12 weeks ;)

Got one up.
Me and the dawg chcked out the fields.
Brought a few rockets just in case.
Well, the wind was whipping up and the snow was way deeper than I thought.
I kinda figured a lot of it would hve been blown away.
Anyhoo..I launched "Dementia" on a C6-3.
Wind took the top half out into the field.
After chasing after that thru the snow, I didn't bother to launch the other rockets.
Even Kodiac was long tongue.
Guess we t for a thaw.

darn fine puppy action

Started my Quest Harpoon weeks ago but lately haven't had much interest.....all I seem to be doing is shovelling snow and feeding the wood furnace. Nice week coming up though with a few days in the plus temps. Hopefully it'll feel more like spring.

- Sanded the fins of Estes V2
- Made a copy of the cardboard parts for TLP FLAIL

Back