What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skipped a club launch to spend a lot more time working on / repairing my rockets for AIRFest. Beerorkids' photos and videos almost make me regret not going; the weather looked spectacular.

I have the motor I owe ya and will see ya next time.

It was a fun day. Nothing over an H I believe. Paul launched a bunch of fun copter and glider rockets. Greg and co had fun flying planes and quad copters.

Was a really chill day. Got 4 great launches in and the wind was minimal.

Check how close to the pad I got on a 3 grain G131

14752908530_e602b8c8a0_b.jpg

[video=youtube;KrKYH-uMvZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKYH-uMvZY[/video]

Sherrie had this cute rocket, but I left before she launched it

14753024727_364e4ab4d8_b.jpg

The eggfinder kicked butt all day. Unfortunately I never had to search for a rocket. I think having tracking is a curse.

Went with a couple of friends to the WVSOAR Launch at Bob Evans Farm in Southern Ohio. Launched a few rockets, and made some new friends including Kirk G from here on the forum.

Last edited:
Launched rockets! And played around with the 30 shot burst on my GoPro.

Had another nice flight of the AS-1 fighter...well designed Shrox, always a perfect flight.

7.jpg

Also, witnessed a tragedy of the CATO kind. I don't know the extent of the damage, but the motor continued to burn.

saturn_cato_2.jpg

Launched my first Mellow Yellow motor today, looooooong burn is long. Unfortunately the rocket weather cocked and burned while sideways (same thing happened with every other I55 launched today), however I got lucky and it landed ok the field still (had to drive out it was so far!).

Also did my first dual deploy. Everything performed flawlessly, although I did not get the altitude OR predicted (I think I forgot to put in the CG and mass override, oops). Unfortunately the (unpainted) nose cone did sustain some damage, it smacked into the side of the booster section somewhere on the way down, nothing a little epoxy and bindi can't fix. Other than that, I think I am 'Go flight!' for a L-2 cert in two weeks (CTI J355)!

Technically I did this yesterday...

Finished my Estes CC Express...only took me about 8 years.

Launched my Bullpup and old school Estes Sizzler (late 80s, early 90s era) at a buddy's house.

Did some finishing work to my son's AGM-57, started brainstorming some ideas to beef up the Estes Vagabond I got on clearance at Hobby Lobby last week.

Finished drawing the model for the Estes Geo Sat LV for loading up on Thingaverse

GeoSat2.jpg

Bagged up the first six Little Green Man kits!

LGM 1.jpg

More are coming as soon as I get centering rings.

I sanded the mmt of my Hawk Mountain project and installed the AeroPack tailcone retainer base.

It has some very nice bevels on the leading and trailing edges and nice west fillets..debating if I want to do them up tip tip or grind off clear fillets and redo with proline or rocketpoxy.

Also thinking of drilling some holes to inject foam in the can to fill the void ..it maybe best to do in rear CR .

Will need to retrofit a bridal on also.

Kenny

1408242583736.jpg

1408242594510.jpg

I re-certified TRA L1 with an I455 in my LOC DoorKnob. I used an RRC2+ for apogee only deployment with the motor as backup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bought parts to build a stand for my Grandson's Mega Max I scratched built for him.

Congrats! Ypu could have done L1 and L2 in the same day with that thing. What alt did an I get you on that beast?

Took my 6-year-old to the LUNAR launch at Moffett today. Put him to work for the first hour at the pad assignment table. (He was my clipboard helper - running them from SCO/Pad assignment over to LCO.) Then we launched some rockets ourselves. His sticker rocket (Quest Tracer) twice. My Freefall three times, and my crayon bank twice. (I let him push the button on all of them.)

Second flight on my crayon, the elastic finally gave out, and the nose-cone and parachute drifted all the way pack to the parking lot, where it was safely recovered, along with my new Altimeter2. The body fell from about 700ft and landed fin-first on the tarmac. There was surprisingly little damage considering. Just chewed up a corner of one of the plywood fins a bit. "Harold: The Purple Crayon" is a tough little bird.

He and I also did some impromptu pad mothering, lost and found recovery, and he was so helpful during the launch tear down that the President handed him a new RTF rocket for the next launch. (The club likes to give away rockets to especially helpful kids - so stick around for the FODWalk :p )

We went out for burgers afterwards, and he fell asleep in the car on the way home. I think I wore him out. :)

Took my 6-year-old to the LUNAR launch at Moffett today. Put him to work for the first hour at the pad assignment table. (He was my clipboard helper - running them from SCO/Pad assignment over to LCO.) Then we launched some rockets ourselves. His sticker rocket (Quest Tracer) twice. My Freefall three times, and my crayon bank twice. (I let him push the button on all of them.)

I believe this is yours. The latticework background makes it strange. It looks better in full size.

Ari.

IMG_6721sm.jpg

Began preparing the fins for Estes Bull Pup. They are sanded to shape, now I need to apply thinned wood filler.

Started on another build like I always do, by looking at what parts I have. A BNC80 G4 SEMROC cone was the start. I knew I wanted it 1st level capable so I looked at my 29mm parts. Checking out my centering ring supply I found I hade 2 rings that would fit a 38mm motor tube to a BT 80. I cut out 2 more rings from a pair of Totally Tubular multi-rings. I now have 4 rings for a full length 36" motor tube. 2 low down to support the fins and 1 ring at each upper coupler joint. The top section of tube is 11" long for a parachute section. I'm going to use two couplers to double the walls in the upper section for more support. The cone will set on the coupler. That's why the section is 11", 1" for the cone shoulder, 8" for two couplers and 2" from the coupler that joins the middle section of tube to the upper. I'm using Gorilla Glue to put it together because of the way it swells and fills all the gaps like no other glue. Mainly for the couplers, roll the couplers through the glue and roll/scrape most of the glue off. Then swab the inside of the BT with a wet paper towel to dampen the inside, don't get it so wet it falls apart.... The Gorilla Glue will expand and fill all the gaps then sets like cement with microscopic bubbles to show how it expands. Fins will be epoxied, not a good place for Gorilla Glue ;)

I've cut the centering rings out and cut the upper body tube. Not promising anything but I'll try to take photos :p

Me want - me want!!!!

Those little guys are tough to hold onto. We had five of them yesterday, but just two remain this morning.

More are on the way, though. Chris is not allowed to pick up a banjo until we get more Little Green Men and flying pigs!

-- Roger

Last edited:
Flew the Wildman 3" on CTI J355 yesterday, extracted the Raven:
Wildman_J355.jpg

and the BRB GPS data:
Wildman_J355-TCC.jpg

As to the low G on landing from the Raven data, it landed on field over 0.4 mi due east where they were irrigating the alfalfa.

Electronics pay landed in a spot where it was not in a puddle thankfully. Airframe will need to get hosed off inside and out.
Wildman in Mud.jpg

New rocket workbench project: Attached the hinges to the second cabinet door and did a test fit. Looks like I will need to adjust the cabinet door jamb slightly to get it parallel to the door...I know, I know, close enough for government work but it will bug me if I don't square it up properly.

Once the jamb is squared up, I can inlet the hinges and attach the cabinet door. The last major portion will be to attach the back of the carcass and I'll be able to move the bench into its final location, load it up, etc.

The couple of cosmetic things yet to do can be accomplished after the bench is in use (outside corner moldings, door seal lips, hardware, etc.)

Actually I'm already using the bench to work on the final few tasks.

The last few days I got to build a rocket and fly it. 29mm mount Bt-55 body reduced to a Bt-20. 29" long 5.5 oz.

This is what it looks like flying on the F-40.
Surprizing how good it flys.

Back