What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Placed an order with Madcow and Giant Leap.....so now it's a race to see which kit I receive first. First one to arrive gets built first. Either way - I win and my billfold loses. :wink:

If Semroc was still in business you would have received your order yesterday.

I miss Carl. I may claim to be older than dirt but he remembered pounding rocks to make dirt.

Cut centering rings and bulkheads for mid-power venture. Received 29/40-120 case in the mail to replace the one I lost last weekend at SARA launch. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the other one next launch!

DSC_0022 (1).jpg He's unsettled; wanting me to put a 'chute in Der Red Max so's we can make a Memorial Day Launch. "But Jaybird, I hafta dust it, and apply a clearcoat. And I'm still confused about lacquers and acrylics, and I don't want yellowing or cracking. I know, I know. Prognosticator? No, Kitty, that's a floor Polish."

-Eric

Got some more work done on the Frenzy, cleaned up around the fillets, primed the nose cone, built a 54mm to 38mm Adapter, marked out the static port holes. USPS Tracking says my package from MissleWorks should arrive tomorrow, with the stuff I need to finish the Av-Bay and the shear pins.

The damaged Omega got another shot of primer to see if it's salvageable, my DRM is now in white primer and looking good. The Citation Patriot II (v.3.0) is now in grey primer.

Technically it is after midnight here in Arizona....so the things I did "yesterday" was....

Repaired our Estes Gnome....
Finished building the Edmonds CiCi Glider Stage 2 - still need to sand/paint
Continued work on my Semroc Explorer....this is a fun build!
My 12 year old son built an Estes Silver Streak and Estes Gold Streak

IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0142.JPG

Used three types of epoxy tonight.

5 min epoxy with some micro balloons to cover the PunisheR internal injections holes so the fillet wouldnt sink at those spots.

Mixed some rocket poxy and used the green coloring to double butter saucer fin vanes and bonded it to the dome.

Next broke out the private reserve and used some Proline 4500 to do the last set of PunisherR external fillets.

I hate doing this stuff so late , but getting the last set done will allow me to start sanding tomorrow... this is a 'no paint' rocket so cant cheat with lots of body putty in these.

Kenny

Last edited:
Used three types of epoxy tonight.

5 min epoxy with some micro balloons to cover the PunisheR internal injections holes so the fillet wouldnt sink at those spots.

Mixed some rocket poxy and used the green coloring to double butter saucer fin vanes and bonded it to the dome.

Next broke out the private reserve and used some Proline 4500 to do the last set of PunisherR external fillets.

I hate doing this stuff so late , but getting the last set done will allow me to start sanding tomorrow... this is a 'no paint' rocket so cant cheat with lots of body putty in these.

Kenny

Pics

1432369954468.jpg

1432369979835.jpg

Much like Kenny, I use proline for external fillets, you can't beat them for looks.
We drove out to Eagle Eye yesterday for the TRA/PHX launch. Got setup by 1 PM and went around to socialize. Wind was blowing, but I had an itch to fly something. Prepped my DD Argent and flew it on an H115. Highest flight of the day and closest to the pad! Of course it was the first flight until Sharon flew her Arreaux.

Cut centering rings and bulkheads for mid-power venture. Received 29/40-120 case in the mail to replace the one I lost last weekend at SARA launch. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the other one next launch!

If you bought a new one, it's pretty much guaranteed you'll find the old one :p

Nate

Much like Kenny, I use proline for external fillets, you can't beat them for looks.
We drove out to Eagle Eye yesterday for the TRA/PHX launch. Got setup by 1 PM and went around to socialize. Wind was blowing, but I had an itch to fly something. Prepped my DD Argent and flew it on an H115. Highest flight of the day and closest to the pad! Of course it was the first flight until Sharon flew her Arreaux.

You need a saucer for those windy days..and nights . . .

good luck on your quest today !

Kenny

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 6.39.13 PM.jpg
Tested some new propellant and a new propellant tester. I need to find better gaskets. Not a bad looking flame though.

Alex

Great weather here today for some rocket work outside! Repaired my ASP Wac Corporal that has been out of service for about 2 years now. Recovery harness (steel cable) that came with the kit failed on last flight. Luckily no damage other than a few dings and scratches. I cut out a bulkhead out of 5/16" birch plywood, drilled nine 7/32" holes in it, put eyehook in the center hole and then epoxied it in place. Put 3 small screws into it through the airframe for extra security. Also switched out the nylon cord it came with and used Kevlar cord for flame resistance. :) Hope to get it in the air next weekend.

Put the final coat of paint on my Der Red Max - only to,find out I suck at painting. It seem like both cans ( the black and the red) just splattered the paint on. I cleaned the nozzles like I always do but nothing I could do. From a few feet away it looks fine so I am calling uncle on this one. decals are next.

Certified Level 2...
DarkoStar on a J400 Smoky Sam. Video will be posted in a YouTube playlist summary of MMWP.
Otherwise, GREAT fun at Mini-Midwest. Lots of great flights. Lots of fun CATOs. I can say that cause none of them were mine.

Certified Level 2...
DarkoStar on a J400 Smoky Sam. Video will be posted in a YouTube playlist summary of MMWP.
Otherwise, GREAT fun at Mini-Midwest. Lots of great flights. Lots of fun CATOs. I can say that cause none of them were mine.

Congrats!!!

Finishing up two tube fin rockets this weekend. Just about ready for primer and paint. The bigger milestone is that my wife is building her first rocket! WOO-HOO! I'm hoping this isn't out of pity or just to spend time in the workshop with me, but that she's starting to catch the bug. :) She even bought pink spray paint at Lowe's today for it, so that's a good sign. Fingers crossed. :)

Worked on the FrenzyXL again today, primer, putty, sand,primer, putty, sand.....its definitely starting to look like a rocket though. AvBay assembled, just a few fillets on the sled to reinforce some areas and its done. Maybe one more day of filling and priming, then its on to ground testing, and then paint.

L2projectDay13-1.jpg

Went to hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon and bought a pack of E9-6 engines. I went back inside with another 40% off coupon and pulled a mini Honest John off the shelf and waited in line at a different register. The same lady that rang me up 10 minutes earlier, said "I can help the next customer in line." being me. I walked up with my coupon to make my purchase and she said "you are only allowed one 40% of coupon per day. I will let you do it just this time."
She made me feel so dishonest when purchasing Honest John. I didn't want to drive 10 miles to Hobby Lobby for one purchase. They are starting to catch on to me.

Fins attached and dried over night. I'm quite happy with how this one turned out. Just a few decorative part here and there and she'll be done.

IMG_4011.jpg

Went to hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon and bought a pack of E9-6 engines. I went back inside with another 40% off coupon and pulled a mini Honest John off the shelf and waited in line at a different register. The same lady that rang me up 10 minutes earlier, said "I can help the next customer in line." being me. I walked up with my coupon to make my purchase and she said "you are only allowed one 40% of coupon per day. I will let you do it just this time."
She made me feel so dishonest when purchasing Honest John. I didn't want to drive 10 miles to Hobby Lobby for one purchase. They are starting to catch on to me.

At least you felt bad about it.

My weekly D&D game was canceled due to lack of players, so instead of preparing for that, I spent the morning on rockets. I got my Wild Thang jr. painted, and my Adventurer 3 washed and sanded so it's ready to build. All in all a good morning.

Back