What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the L1! What rocket and motor?

I made a mistake and used random clear coat I had on the fincan of my G-force today... It needs a lot of sanding and all new paint now...
Fortunately the clear coat worked well on my Leviathan which had the right paint.

I've discovered a store near me stocks .9mm mechanical pencils :) Oohhh! So nice to use and no snapping leads!!

Krusty

I went with a .7 this time. .9 is nice too, and I had one somewhere around here but can't find it.

Got home after a loooong night. Unpacking my stuff from the car, I drop the fin can for my l2 rocket. Good thing it was made of FWFG. The only damage is a fin that became dislodged from it's TTW mount. I'm going to pull it completely out sand everything down (somehow I will get the sandpaper through the fin slot) and re-epoxy it.

That spent K motor is still in the retainer, we think it put a minor weld on the retainer so it can't come undone by hand. :/

But here is an awesome frame grab from my dads iPhone that we mounted about 10' from the pad:
View attachment 182926

I'm also never launching this rocket on a 1010 rail ever again. The force from launch was so high that the rocket broke the top rail button free from the rail. It still flew straight as an arrow though.
You're saying the rail button broke?

Ok! Serious rocket post now!!

Over the weekend I worked on the ebay/coupler for a Little Dog dual deploy... This has to be my longest-running build so far. I bought this in Dec 2008 :eyepop: and I still haven't finished or flown it!!

I also gave my MMX Blue Bird Zero a spray of white :)

Krusty

A couple of weeks ago I painted my first roll pattern! Subject was a 24mm-ified Baby Bertha, done up in black and fluoro pink. Pattern was based off of https://www.postwarv2.com/paintschemes/ps03.html

CameraZOOM-20140824191135714.jpg

I was pretty worried about getting it right, but everything went better than expected. My main advice for anyone else doing the same is to pencil over what areas need the second coat of paint. It took me a couple of false starts before I was able to accurately figure out what side of a paint line the mask needed to be on.

So far today Ive placed an order with Estes.
Mega Moquito=2
Vector Force=1
Plasma Probe=1
Phenix Bird=1
Total w/Shipping=43.64
Now,seeing its the 3 Hs outside (hazy,hot,humid) I'll have me some lunch and then do some more cleaning.sorting and straighten out the rocket room.
Most likely I'll do some more work on the SideWinder here inside the house also....AC is on.
Later I may order me some build materials.
I got me a $100 gift card to use up.

A couple of weeks ago I painted my first roll pattern! Subject was a 24mm-ified Baby Bertha, done up in black and fluoro pink. Pattern was based off of https://www.postwarv2.com/paintschemes/ps03.html

View attachment 183057

I was pretty worried about getting it right, but everything went better than expected. My main advice for anyone else doing the same is to pencil over what areas need the second coat of paint. It took me a couple of false starts before I was able to accurately figure out what side of a paint line the mask needed to be on.

Fluorescent pink is a trademark on my rockets. (Helps me find them on the ground.)

I approve, RocketGirl!

Nothing... been playing with my quadcopter and glider... OH wait........ I did buy a PS2 Ventris I plan to make dual deploy and some 29mm motor tubes from Estes for my canted 3 29mm cluster MDRM on the Labor Day sale.

Finished making my Nose Cone and got some Primer on the Martel.

MartelPrimer 002.jpg

Last edited:
Finished burning up that $100 gift card at UMRS. $0.62 left on the card,that didnt take long... :lol:

25 Feet Of 150lb Bonded Kevlar Cord
15 Feet Of 200lb Braided Kevlar Cord
Body Tube BT-50 18inch 3 Pack
Body Tube BT-20 18inch 3 Pack
Body Tube BT-70 18inch 3 Pack
Body Tube BT-80 18inch 1
TFR PAR-15TM Parachute
Red 18 inch Nylon Parachute
2 Pack BT80 Couplers
2 Pack BT70 Couplers

We were fogged in most of the morning here in the river valley. By the time it cleared off,the HUMID HEAT was on!!!!
Anywhooo.. the build is looking good .

Thanks.
Too humid here too, but I could'nt wait any longer to get the first Coat of Primer on. It is still "Off Gassing" outside in the Shed. Way too humid for it to dry very fast. Just shot a light Coat on there so as I can see the spots that need fixed.
Should be able to touch it tomorrow.

Got the internals going on the Mega Der Purple Max today with some of the rocket poxy. Also sanded the the fins and body tube where they meet to rough up the smooth for externals . The rocket poxy seems set so went ahead and installed the rear centering ring and then capped off with a 38mm Aeropack base.

Also got the forward centering on the Red Alert motor mount tube because WeFly2 are going to try to get these night launch birds together this week and HE wants to have room for laundry inztead of filling it UP with LEDs. Everything else can be mocked up before installing but the forward CR has to be fixed for the TTW fins" placement..and this is done now..the most important part.

Kenny

1409627135525.jpg

1409627150606.jpg

Put decals on the Estes Hornet, THOY Macron and Centuri Akela-1.
Built a Semroc Swift, which is now ready for primer.
Started construction on a Semroc Stellar Spartan.
Planned to fly, but the weather had other ideas.

1) Sprayed a couple of coats of clear lacquer on my scratch level 2 cert rocket.

2) Worked on repairing my Porsche DX3. Last month at MDRA the bottom half came down without chute and crashed on a gravel road. After lots of Bondo, sanding, and primer it's now ready for some more black paint.

IMAG1056.jpg

Put 2 layers of 3.6 oz fiberglass on a LOC Weasel. Still mulling over doing a build thread for it.

WeaselT2T.jpg

Back