What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday now, but I worked on these at my desk... At work! :D
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487417177.770296.jpg
Estes STM-012, SEMROC Trident, Estes Astron Sprint XL.

Last edited:
Bought a tractor. How is that rocketry related? Well, part of the barn will be woodworking, part for the forge, and the machine shop but will double for rocketry.

Right now it's just dirt floor & tractor, though :)

Had a great flight at the Michiana Rocketry launch in Three Oaks, MI today. Wildman Demon on an AT J540R. Was really hoping for my first mile flight. MissileWorks RRC3 recorded 4952'. Just 328 feet short! I'll try again next month on a K.
https://youtu.be/K9n4SjV_m-s

Cut patterns for 8, 12, 18, 24, 30 inch parachutes, put railbuttons on the FG Mini-Frenzy, its now ready for paint, and started the Madcow Cowabunga, and put railbuttons on the Big Daddy which is also ready for paint.

Played with CWF for the first time. Read the article on NAR's website on how to use it properly. Building a Newway QuadGoblin...still a newb when it comes to sanding, almost screwed up the square nosecone. Fit wasn't happening and learned really quick about staying away from the shoulder. I'd rather sand plastic nosecones then these.

Bought an obscene amount of motors. Let the kids pick out their launch vehicles for this coming weekend's launch (mostly 29mm mount stuff). Packed range boxes accordingly. Checked UPS tracking 9370127301232092809 times to see where the incoming motor shipments are.

Those fins look great!

Thanks. They've yet to be filled though. I use AeroGloss and have to do that at home. I've never papered fins and don't intend to. I think there are lighter ways to finish balsa.

I hung out with the Germans the last 2 days actually. Got to meet some of the guys I met over at a German Rocket Forum. Solaris rocket building club sponsored a 2 day working weekend where there was demonstrations of CNC software and hardware, making LARGE nosecones out of fiberglass and resin, sewing parachutes and what was really cool, was a chance to build an electronic kit/motor mount, that has a gyro stabilizing gimbal. Nice bunch of guys, I picked their brains and picked up a lot of info. Found a fellow rocketeer just down the road from me. Pretty successful weekend.

First flight of the year today - mad cow 2.6" Nike smoke on an H110 to 2700'. Also first flight with a Jolly Logic Chute release - worked perfect! I would've probably not flown this rocket that high at this field - love that CR! Made it easy peasy - landed 150 yards away

Got primer on a 54mm phenolic rocket I built out of stuff I had around. Weighs about 2.5 pounds sans motor. Was in response to a buddy giving me an i65- should do 7500' or so. Fins are 1/16" balsa core with a layer of 5.7 ounce carbon on them.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487540099.531746.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487540126.033948.jpg

Nice weather in upper Illinois allowed me to prime my Hornet. Sanded the QuadGoblin, CWF works pretty well for filling balsa nosecones.

Took advantage of some gorgeous WNY February weather and put some primer and paint on a stretched Leviathan...

Started av bay for Strong Arm. Ground and epoxy airframe weakened areas. Thought a lot about getting rocksim.

Started putting fins on a Madcow Cowabunga, this is going to be a fairly light build, all TBII whenever possible.

Last edited:
Still working on QuadGoblin, realizing square rockets are not fun to build. Though the kit quality is top notch. I did have to spend alot of time getting the nose cone to fit properly. Pulled out the needle files to get the shoulders back to square, my overzealous sanding was to blame. Overall it will be fun to show off at the club. The CWF if over thinned is a pain, requiring multiple coats...still learning with this stuff. I like it though, no nasty fumes and very easy to sand off. For my Estes kits with the white tube I don't think I need to worry about filling those spirals with it, noticed my primer filling them nicely by itself. CWF works awesome on the fins and balsa nosecones though.

Ordered a Partizon and a Ventris. Wanted to collect these PSII kits since I came late to the party. I need a Leviathan, Nike Smoke and a Mega Der to finish the collection I have so far. Then its into level one kits, like an Excel I keep staring at. Love the Sumo too.

Got the Sea Wolf looking pretty sexy.

Very nice looker.

Today I just assembled the motor mount for the Quad Goblin. First time using Kevlar, going to heat shrink the first four to five inches past the mount to help protect it. Will keep the kevlar down below the the top of the BT, I don't want to use tape or an insulator to avoid a zipper. Still a fun rocket to build.

Back