What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!

I made the "Caution" area to remind me to always remove the blade after use, but I will have to devise a "Gate" of some sort that automatically covers the blade when I take the tube out.
I actually have some Ideas in mind for that part already. A simple spring loaded cover that you lift to put the tube under will work.
I have Cats, and I'de never forgive myself if they sliced their feet up on my workbench.

For Krusty -

They are 307's not 309's like on the box.

Cool :) are they big? It's hard to tell in the photo?!

Working on a system myself. I am actively cooling my VTX with a 5v micro fan and two aluminum Raspberry pi heatsinks as there will be no air circulation in the AV bay and at 600mw they create some heat. 5 turn RHCP helical on my RX and a 3 lobe RCHP cloverleaf for the VTX. Soocoo f23 cameras which were removed from their cases. I'm using both cams in the AV bay, live feed and record from one with a downward view through a periscope shroud and the other with a horizontal view.

Hmm.. Heat isn't something I've considered!! I'll have to see how warm the transmitter gets when it arrives!

How do the 3 lobe antennas compare with the typical 'stick' type antennas?

I've seen on some drones a dome style antenna - I'm going to assume that this is a cover for the 3 lobe?

Krusty

Flew three rockets. Mini Honest John with an A10-3T which landed on the roof, a Comet Chaser with a A3-0T chad staged to a A8-5, and finally an Asteroid Hunter with a D24-4T. Nice pretty blue flame :)

My Mom just had some heating work done at her house so she saved me some of the spare parts, which will become some sort of jig or some ground support item, then at the Park for my Dog's morning walk, I found these cones being thrown away, and they will ofcourse be used for making molds eventually when I get to that point. FG nose cones and tail cones.

Today's Scores 2016-05-20 003.jpgToday's Scores 2016-05-20 001.jpg

Last night I installed rail buttons on two recent projects, repaired my Der V-3 clone back to flight status, and also received a box from BMS.

Me too! I've had it at every club launch since I went BAR. The next one is this weekend. I'm off to update the thread about it...

Made a test run of bands for the boosters just to see how long it will take per booster with my new Jig. 4 minutes.
Once I get used to using it it will likely take half that.

SA-5 Booster Bands 2016-05-20 001.jpg

Made a test run of bands for the boosters just to see how long it will take per booster with my new Jig. 4 minutes.
Once I get used to using it it will likely take half that.

View attachment 291506

Very nice! That jig seems like a very valuable tool, especially with the kind of rockets you build. How big is the final product going to be? It is hard to tell the scale looking at the booster.

Very nice! That jig seems like a very valuable tool, especially with the kind of rockets you build. How big is the final product going to be? It is hard to tell the scale looking at the booster.

Thanks.

Pretty large I guess. I had the drawings made up to scale so I can take my measurements directly from them, then tweak the design as necessary to match the photos of the real deal.
Here's a mock up I just threw together with some parts. That's not the real wing, just my template.

SA-5 Mock up 2016-05-20 003.jpg

I got another box of pieces/parts.
I should be good for now. NO, wait, I do have one more box coming. Going to try me hand at glassing BTs.
After seeing Top using it on his builds, I do believe it will beat the ole prime sand fill, sand, fill ,prime and then I still have a soft tubed rocket.

Not much else to do while sitting around at the hotel so I got up early and put together a mini documentation package for my L1 cert attempt next weekend.

Sanded Filler Primer Patch on A.P. and hit it with SemiGloss White. More Runs! Still don't know how to take a Deep Breath and spray easy!? Sheesh! I'll let it cure, sand again, and hopefully add color.

Sanded the AG Dope on Trident's Fins. Also, sanded the MTG Fillets at the LLs and the dozen Fillets at the Ports. Sprayed the Fins, LLs, and Fillets with Filler Primer. I cannot wait to see this model in All White.

I'm really proud of myself for assembling the engine tube after painting the components.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 3.47.26 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 3.50.30 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 3.48.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 3.49.06 PM.jpg

Taught an introductory course on hobby rocketry to 50 inner city middle school kids.

Two weeks from now we build Fliskits DooDads and a week later we take them out flying.

2X Gloss Winter Gray and Gloss Spa Blue. Got my thumb in the still-tacky paint near the Engine Mount. It's never nothing.

It's Pretty Weird that this Nose Cone was used only for this Kit?

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 7.58.32 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-05-20 at 7.57.55 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-05-20 at 7.57.28 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-05-20 at 7.58.51 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Got a new box of Nitrile gloves and the threaded rods and associated hardware to almost complete my SA-5 Assembly Cradle.
It still needs a few more parts, but when it is complete, it will be a mechanical assembly jig, that will make the process of positioning everything possible, as the sustainer fits fine now, but when the boosters are attached, it needs to take on a different aspect, yet still serve the same purpose. The Threaded rods will allow me to make a jig within a jig, and by using threaded inserts in the uprights at either end of the wood part, I can move it to and fro, so there can be a positioning guide jig placed, and parts repeatably produced. I may actually need more sub sections of rod, but it is working out well so far in my mind.:)

2016-05-20 001 2016-05-20 001.jpg

Loaded 5 F and G motors for tomorrow's launch. Also charged up the GoPro, Mobius and Chute Release. Will be the first flight of my Ventris camera rocket.

Just me and the littlest dude going to the launch tomorrow, should be good times.

Sanded Filler Primer Patch on A.P. and hit it with SemiGloss White. More Runs! Still don't know how to take a Deep Breath and spray easy!? Sheesh! I'll let it cure, sand again, and hopefully add color.

Sanded the AG Dope on Trident's Fins. Also, sanded the MTG Fillets at the LLs and the dozen Fillets at the Ports. Sprayed the Fins, LLs, and Fillets with Filler Primer. I cannot wait to see this model in All White.

I'm really proud of myself for assembling the engine tube after painting the components.

Very nice work. The Trident is a good flier, and when it pops that parachute it is particularly gratifying.

Loaded car for trip to Tripoli Central Cal. I will make a 1 day Kamakaze run. Out the door at 6AM to ground test my ejection charge for large Thunderbird 1..

Got my L1 today!

Maiden flight of the stretch leviathan (wife suggested skipping the shakedown flight), and first reload I've ever flown.

Nice calm day for the club launch (Syracuse NY NAR chapter), and recovered less than 50 feet from the flight line. H128-W put it up quick and straight.

I'll try to figure out how to post video, I only got the countdown and boost...

Got my L1 today!

Maiden flight of the stretch leviathan (wife suggested skipping the shakedown flight), and first reload I've ever flown.

Nice calm day for the club launch (Syracuse NY NAR chapter), and recovered less than 50 feet from the flight line. H128-W put it up quick and straight.

I'll try to figure out how to post video, I only got the countdown and boost...

Congrats!!!

Made 7 launches at today's URRG launch, despite grey skies and impending rain. 5 of which were with Chute Release, the other two rockets simply weren't big enough to fit it. Hopefully John develops a more compact model someday...

went to the woosh launch today at bong. Somehow didn't launch any rockets, but ended up in the swamp recovering a rocket for over an hour. Swamp water up to my armpits!

Some LPR launches... didn't take pictures of it all.

Estes Photon Probe maiden flight (C6-5):

Estes Photon Probe.jpg Estes Photon Probe Launch.jpg

Best piece of recovery equipment:
Recovery Equipment.jpg

Back to the Pad.jpg

Estes AMRAAM launched by my nephew (C6-5):

Estes AMRAAM Launch 01.jpg Estes AMRAAM Launch 02.jpg

All flights were successful without damage! Also my nephew's first launch! The AMRAAM wasn't his first rocket of the day, it was an Estes Power Patrol (A8-3) that I got him for his birthday.

Last edited:
Back