What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered an Eggtimer TRS on sale. Looking forward to soldering SMDs! It's a skill I've wanted to learn for a while.
SMD's as in electronics? Can be quite annoying depending on the package. I use a toaster oven with a timer kit I purchased. Hardest operation is getting the solder paste down and not too thick.

SMD's as in electronics? Can be quite annoying depending on the package. I use a toaster oven with a timer kit I purchased. Hardest operation is getting the solder paste down and not too thick.
You reflowed the whole thing? Huh. Any chance you have pictures/description of that?
I don't anticipate much trouble with the soldering itself. Maybe some trouble with positioning the small packages - these are apparently on the large size for surface mount.

I finished up construction of a Balsa Machining Service clone kit of an Astron Drifter that I started last night. Then I popped open the package of the PS2 Argent that I bought in one of Estes' previous sales and started on that. Basically, glued up the motor mount and sanded the fins. I had initially glued the mount into the lower tube before realizing I should attach the recovery harness to it, so I pulled it back out before the glue set. So I wiped up the excess glue and called it a night.

Also, earlier today, I spoke with Sandman regarding making a couple cones for future upscale projects.

Mmm-hmmm :) I'm just excited to have the potential option for something close... :)
One the closer fields being discussed is just off Jackson Highway near the race track but with vernal pools and Mather nearby it's a forlorn hope if you ask me. Low power only if at all.

Yes, I have reflowed entire boards with only minor hand touch up when the hands are not shaking too bad. Sucks getting older.

Well here is the controller for the reflow oven. Unfortunately, it is out of production at SparkFun. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/81

They did leave all of the documentation and software available though so you could recreate this very easily if you can make the board or have it made for you. I am sure the circuit board patterns are available in the public domain. I will dig out some pictures of projects if I can find them, or show some of the stencils I used. MQFP packages are a little tough, when the lands are 0.15mm wide but this is where the stencils and A TON OF PRACTICE comes in hand.

IF YOU DO THE TOASTER OVEN THING, PLEASE PROMINENTLY LABEL WITH "DO NOT USE FOR FOOD". Even the lead free paste has some very nasty chemicals in it that could contaminate your food and make you extremely ill.

Thanks, Crazy Older B@st@rd.:smile:

One the closer fields being discussed is just off Jackson Highway near the race track but with vernal pools and Mather nearby it's a forlorn hope if you ask me. Low power only if at all.

Yes, I know the area. :) I fly over it all the time. Lots of tall grass too, but still an option. We've been trying to get something, ANYTHING for so long. If just to throw a couple of Estes darts in the air...

Finally launched my 2 stage water rocket.
89b89f71f5ab24ba8e5791e40fbbb1a5.jpg

This is the very last glimpse of the second stage before it "acheived orbit".
57f08ef86922fa16f374d8c6364cc7d5.jpg

Hard to make out much here...
f3d7465c173e5b9da63ab5e716887ef0.jpg

Annd she's gone! Only the first stage here.
41b5a3a5a778d75dd486556eadbf69c1.jpg

For Father's Day, my wife took my daughter to the hobby shop and had her pick a rocket kit to give to me. She chose the 3 Bandits kit, which is perfect. Today I let her choose which color rocket to build and what stickers to put on. So we ended up building an orange horsey rocket. Hope to fly it later if the wind dies down.

20150701_092725.jpg

20150701_095319.jpg

Ordered the Leviathan, Argent, Partizon, Ventris bundle from Estes, and I also threw in a Maxi-Alpha 3 (sneaked in while the wife wasn't watching:wink:).

The Bundle though cost me putting in new carpet in the kids room tomorrow and the next day.

I got the motor mount and fins glued up for my PS2 Argent, as well as glued up the upper section and fitted the transition (was a bit sloppy out of the box). I friction fitted the nose cone rather than glue it, in case I want to use it as a payload section at some point.

Drilled the av-bay screw switch/vent holes for my 29x4 MMT "Quadzilla". Struggling with how to finish the LOC 4" nosecone. I sawed off the bottom of the shoulder, but now how to best and easiest prep it to be retained?

Drilled the av-bay screw switch/vent holes for my 29x4 MMT "Quadzilla". Struggling with how to finish the LOC 4" nosecone. I sawed off the bottom of the shoulder, but now how to best and easiest prep it to be retained?

Depends on wether or not you want to use it as a Av-Bay or not.

If yes, use the method in John Cokers video.

If not, well lots of methods are available to you.

Well actually yesterday_ Second coat of yellow paint on Alien Invader, printed instructions for Advanced Target Drone and started collecting the parts needed. Ordered some kits from the Estes 4th sale.

Today, mask and spray black on Alien Invader. Try NOT to spend money on rockets or engines. :y:

3rd Partizon completed build-wise. Painting this weekend. This one I modded similar to the first, converting the third tube to a payload bay and allowing for the option of two tube or three tube configuration. The two tube flies great on the Estes BP motors as it's about 11.5 Oz.

Maidened my fletcher:

[video=youtube;fJDk8QqQI8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDk8QqQI8Q[/video]

Bought some D12-3 motors for my V-2

When I said it was 30 miles north of Snow Ranch I should have said the site is to the east of Galt. Three adjoining parcels, one of which is midpower and the other falls within the specs for I-motor HPR. The third is strictly low power, if that.

I qualify all of the above with the statement that I'm NOT party to the discussions or negotiations. Simply receiving cc's of the emails being sent.

I refuse to get excited about it. Okay, maybe a little bit...

Glassed a small tube..did not come out quite as good as the one I did last week.

Got the rail guides on so i can start primering tomorrow. And put the rail guides on a 2nd one also

Kenny

1435901272339.jpg

1435901288251.jpg

1435901327659.jpg

Completed my first ever ground test. Used 1.5gm, got the laundry out, but did not fully extend the lanyard. I'll fly with 2 grams.

BTW, Crazy Jim's initiators fire very well using the continuity light on a Estes controller.....

Well I opened the door to greet the UPS guy and he gave me the Dr. Rocket 54/1706 casing I had been waiting on. ( Well, it was only two days.) Nice

Sanded Rocketpoxy fillets on my Ultimate Darkstar. I think I found something I like less than drilling holes in filament wound fiberglass tubing.
Watched Sharon stick fins into her Gizmo XL.
Sanded more fillets.
Put together a bunch of stuff to take the the AZ Rocket Team build session tomorrow. We will be taking the SUV, not enough room in the Trans Am.
Sanded more fillets. Wore out a pair of gloves and my fingers....

We have to save your poor thumbs ! And now your fingers too !

Bet it looks great and technically a little slimmer weighs less and more aerodynamic. ..well done !

Kenny

Back