What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added 2 layers of white to V2. Will be ready for red parts.

d868d6ef72ad5bff28ffb5c5136f175d.jpg

Sanded nose cone of FLAIL again and reinforced the tail cone.

53c602bf26ce440e7f97e7fbdffd5bc2.jpg

Haven't done a thing in several weeks due to some health issues that have interfered with me hooking up the new A/C unit in the shop. We've had a relatively cool summer this year with less than 20 days over 100 degrees and not much is forecast through mid-September. On the other hand, working in the non-A/C shop at temps of 90-95 degrees isn't a lot of fun.

I sanded the first primer coat on my Leviathan, than put a second coat on. I then spent a while making fin patterns and doing the layout on plywood for an upscale EAC Firecat. Oh, and earlier, I worked out a Rocksim model of a rocket to use the second Interceptor cone that came in my Sci-Fi nose cone pack. I call the craft "Rogue Star", a sort of privateer type of vessel, something as likely to turn up at the Eavesdown Docks on Persephone as in Mos Eisley...

IMG_7991.JPGOpened the Estes Laser Lance, inspected all parts and began filling in spirals on BT's and seams on nose cone, sanded and primed & repeated until smooth. Now I'm off to sanding and CWF on the fins.........................

Glued the 4 piece fin sections, sandwiching them together.
IMG_7999.JPGIMG_8004.JPG
Marked the BT fin and launch lug lines using the Estes tube and fin marking guides along with the paper cut out tube marking guide.

Flew rockets today. What else?

Got my Punisher up in the air for its first flight. CTI I165 C-star to 2690'. A lot lower than I was expecting , but it did get an interesting turn during the first 100' of flight. Then it landed in a tree and I spent the rest of the day recovering.

Also flew my Darkstar mini twice. First on a CTI G65 White long burn. Went unstable during the flight and flipped under thrust three or four times. Now I'm skeptical of flying 29mm in it...

Flew the Darkstar a second time on a CTI F85 White Thunder. Flew nice and straight this time, I guess it's sweet spot is 24mm 3grain motors. Unfortunately it did not return from this flight. It's still out in the large field somewhere. I'm hoping someone will see it and recover it next launch there.

Also saw a CATO on a aerotech F32 SU. The fin can of the rocket was destroyed but the propellant didn't burn.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1438463255.656141.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1438463267.136505.jpg

Sanded an arc on the root edge of the fins with sandpaper around body tube. Glued the 3 fins on BT and using my eyes and paper guide to align fins. The fins are too thick for the Estes fin alignment tool.

Next will be fin fillets, launch lug assembly and filling the seams around the nose cone and upper reducer........
IMG_8006.JPGIMG_8005.JPGIMG_8009.JPG

I built a large diameter circle cutting jig for my bandsaw. Tried it out making a 7.5" bulkhead, and it worked so well I was shocked. How am I gonna cut those large bulkheads and CRs? Was the first major question of my L3 build. A fly cutter ain't gonna do a 7.5" bulkhead...a fly cutter at that diameter would be terrifying.

I built a large diameter circle cutting jig for my bandsaw. Tried it out making a 7.5" bulkhead, and it worked so well I was shocked. How am I gonna cut those large bulkheads and CRs? Was the first major question of my L3 build. A fly cutter ain't gonna do a 7.5" bulkhead...a fly cutter at that diameter would be terrifying.

I used to work in a machine shop. You see some pretty impressive fly cutters in that industry. Try 1-foot as the biggest I've seen.

I was a Saucerer today..

Wetsanded , painted and started the final assembly of WeFly2 and Hardlines Saucers this afternoon.

Kenny

This is a little one I built to fly on the 24/60 case. I do have a bunch of F-24-7's that it would like to eat.
Right now before paint it's 3.5 oz.

Last edited:
Drilled holes: Vent; Switch; and threaded insert mounting holes in my 4" avionics for the Black Dahlia rocket. I also picked up some 1 1/2 PVC pipe and built a cheapy paint stand for my 54mm rockets.

Pictures, please!

Burned the vinyl off my 4" MD tuber on an N2000.

Ari.

Attachments

• IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
New day, new tasks; Today I will dust off a launch pad, and replace all the original zinc coated hardware with stainless. After a few launches, the zinc coated shows its true colors... reddish brown.

Found this new astronaut volunteer at a garage sale. Perfect for BT80 tubes and streamer recovery ☺

c939e9de1eb8c0d70833c31f5f77483a.jpg

I cut, filed, drilled and tapped
30 Adeptors for Odd'l Rockets vendors.

Adeptors cut.jpg

My hands are sore and I have new blister!

Back