What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, three weeks ago tomorrow just before I was sent to the penalty box. Totally rocket related.

[video=youtube;7tl8dQ6iNQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tl8dQ6iNQ4[/video]

Bought an N motor for BFT4.

Too bad I can't take delivery until two weeks from now. California law prohibits sale of motors larger than M. I have to wait until the vendor and I are both in Nevada for AeroNaut to handle the motor myself.

Ari.

Got fin vanes drawn, cut, and mocked up for WeFly2s and Hardlines Saucers.

Trying a wrap on the MMT and the good Aircraft grade plywood this time..so far so good.

Kenny

1437292296645.jpg

The other day I got started on building my punisher that I've had sitting around since Black Saturday. Already got the shock cord laid out, rail buttons installed, motor mount/retainer, most fillets are done. All I really have left to do is mount electronics (Raven 3, and RRC3) and select parachutes. Anyone have recommendations for parachute sizes on this?

Successfully maidened a HobbyKing RadJet800 conversion on D12-7

[video=youtube_share;DLjkwcIWzJA]https://youtu.be/DLjkwcIWzJA[/video]

Got a lot done on my LOC Weasel. Fins are tacked on, motor mount ready to install, and converted to 1/4 tubular shock cord anchored at the mmt. I'm just about finished with the altimeter bay, which will also extend the airframe by 4 inches.

David

Modeled a couple of my older rockets, developed plans to convert my Loc Vulcanite to DD while adding 20" in length and modeled a "L3" rocket for dreams sake (I'm sure you L3 certified folks would shoot all kinds of holes in it in short order :p)

Got started assembling my Eggtimer TRS. Hooo dear those parts are tiny. That's a standard sharpie for scale -- see those little black rectangles in the tape below that? Those are the resistors.

XAW36NJ.jpg

Also I have no idea if I got the "reflow" mounting for the GPS ground plane right.

I played with ROCsim to plug in the general shape of Viper Sounding Rocket to explore the possibility of a building a full scale version.

Kenny

Got started assembling my Eggtimer TRS. Hooo dear those parts are tiny. That's a standard sharpie for scale -- see those little black rectangles in the tape below that? Those are the resistors.

XAW36NJ.jpg

Also I have no idea if I got the "reflow" mounting for the GPS ground plane right.

Those are pretty small, are the 0603's or 0402's? I had to do some 0201's by hand once with a needle point, that was rough.

Working with what hardware I have on hand, I made a test sample of a threaded insert mounted into a coupler using JB Weld... 30-minute epoxy would probably be a better choice (cheaper too!).

I haven’t done anything with rocketry since the end of April and it doesn’t look good that I’ll be doing anything in the future.

Unfortunately I’ve reached a point where driving the required distance to participate in any launches has become unendurable.

Having to stop every 30 minutes to stretch and walk around and even then arriving in such a state that I feel like I’ve been mauled by that thing that tried to chow down on Luke Skywalker in “Return of the Jedi”.

Ever had that "what have I done" feeling?

image.jpg

I did today after I visited the club parts stash. I swear I heard angels when the door swung open, come to think of it maybe those weren't angels.

I haven’t done anything with rocketry since the end of April and it doesn’t look good that I’ll be doing anything in the future.

Unfortunately I’ve reached a point where driving the required distance to participate in any launches has become unendurable.

Having to stop every 30 minutes to stretch and walk around and even then arriving in such a state that I feel like I’ve been mauled by that thing that tried to chow down on Luke Skywalker in “Return of the Jedi”.

I'm sad to read that. I truely hope that you have some other hobbies or activities you enjoy and can still do without having to endure physical pain.

XAW36NJ.jpg

Just don't sneeze!

Krusty

Today I am waiting on my orders to come in from Apogee Components and McMaster-Carr... where-by later I will be mounting threaded inserts and building avionic for my Excalibur project.

XAW36NJ.jpg

The resistors are easier to solder if you tin the pads first on one end of the resistor. The same for the rest of the SMT parts. PM me the pad size for the GPS and I can double check your board. Bob

Had a marathon session of CA/sand and FnF/sand with my Aerotech Initator. Please check your nose cones immediately upon opening the box. If I had known the nose cone was this bad I would have returned it. FOUR sessions of CA and FnF and I am not sure the nose cone is correct yet, shooting primer on it today.

The resistors are easier to solder if you tin the pads first on one end of the resistor. The same for the rest of the SMT parts. PM me the pad size for the GPS and I can double check your board. Bob
Yep, that's how the eggtimer instructions have me doing it. It's actually really quick, just requires a steady hand.

Just finished my sixth Eggfinder TX. I have several crammed into 54mm MD rockets and it's hard to move them around. So I built this one to fit into the N/C of my Ultimate Darkstar. I'm laying it flat on the bulkhead so the GPS module is pointing up at the satellite's. Built my second LCD RX yesterday, and added the bluetooth HC-06 module. I paired it up with my Android phone, but it has four HC-06's paired to it now and I can't figure out which one is in the new RX. When I checked Rocket locator, it shows four also, but no way to tell which one is active...

Finished building the Estes Vagabond and just needs the decals applied. If I turned the d upside down and moved in place of the g and put the g on the end it would spell "Vapabong"..LOL
I painted it metallic aluminum with black fins and it looks great.

Last edited:
Finished building the Estes Vagabond and just needs the decals applied. If I turned the d upside down and moved in place of the g and put the g on the end it would spell "Vapabong"..LOL
I painted it metallic aluminum with black fins and it looks great.

Vapabong! Love it!

I've got a Vagabond sitting on my work bench waiting for my motivation level to reach build level :)

Krusty

Back