What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a shipment of vinyl from the good Mr. Hayes, and set to work. I will need to wait a bit to get this one finished, but here is a teaser.

image.jpg

Mark had to make the old Estes logo, and did a strikingly good job of it. Of course, he still only charged the normal price despite having to put in extra work. Which he did quickly I might add.

Loaded some motors for tomorrows launch. H-242T / H-178DM and a I-435T. The wind will be 12mph so I'm staying low. Now I'm loading the truck.

Tons o stuff.
Got most of the Rocketry Warehouse Nike Smoke bits and pieces finished up. Pretty much ready for finally assembly (thread in HPR forum)
Masked off the Estes Nike Smoke in anticipation of my order of Fluorescent Red show up tomorrow.
Broke out the bits and pieces of my next scratch build.
View attachment 169260

Restarted looking again at the Mojave Mortar scratch build. (How to pack a chute in a 54mm tube is perplexing).

This sounds and looks like an interesting rocket...looking forward to the build thread!

Now that the paint is dry on my daughter's Argent I glued the shock cord mount in this morning. All that is left is to tie the shock cord and chute to the payload section. Maiden flight tomorrow.

I also picked up some B and C motors at Hobby Lobby this morning.

Filling and sanding and filling and sanding fins (and nose cones) for an upscale Astro-1 and an upscale Lil Beth X-2.

Started putting the front Fins on my Gabriel III A/S and added a leftover BBZ Waterslide to my Hobbyknife Box. Also the LOC Decal.

Last edited:
:flyingpig::pop::grin::neener::tongue:

Hey! I got something for you. Found some of your favorite "starters" while prepping for tomorrows club launch. I'll try to keep them preserved until I see you again. :cool:
One of them is almost a foot long :fly:

Adrian

We are at the in-laws for Easter. I brought some of my kits from the Estes sale to launch for the kids. Built a maxi alpha and a D region tomahawk this morning. Got some primer on and that will likely be all for now.
Going to launch in the empty bean field tomorrow weather permitting. It looks like rain and wind all day.
Either way my nephew and I had a good time with some quick builds. He's 7 with an age appropriate attention span!

Received this, my first MD 54mm kit and she is a beauty.

View attachment 169422

And this to go with my CPR3000. Yes I did it backwards. I bought the CPR3000 a while back thinking that it may work in another kit (Binder devastator retro) but the diameters were off so I just had to find a use for it, can't let these parts go to waste :)

View attachment 169423

Hey! I got something for you. Found some of your favorite "starters" while prepping for tomorrows club launch. I'll try to keep them preserved until I see you again. :cool:
One of them is almost a foot long :fly:

Adrian
KILLER! Me love you long time! And I take back the sarcastic emoji's...

Acknowledged this morning that I'm going to have to start reading this thread if I'm actually going to keep up with TRF. I've resisted because I never feel as though I can "catch up."

Mark Joseph
TRA/NAR L2
Central Illinois Aerospace

Good luck! Sharpen up your soldering iron, that GPS chip is challenging...

This!

Built my eggfinder last week. Great stuff, but I'll say, (even as someone who's been building and repairing electronics for over 30 years), I was pretty sure I had trashed a couple solder pads on the GPS chip. Remarkably, it works.

Mark

I'm getting parts together for two mid-power builds:

Big Lil' Beth X-2

13913145886_07d6527d4f.jpg

Big Astro-1

13913144772_6fa82f8885.jpg

Doing a little design work. RockSim has some issues in calculating Cp when the "virtual" fin roots are inside the airframe. It also will not let you recess the Sustainer into the booster. So, I think this will be a build it and test it project. Anyway ...

Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 4.33.11 PM.png

I finished my daughter's Argent this morning before the launch at Moffett Field this morning. We were able to launch it on an F24-4 and an F39-6. Both flights were successful. We also launched my Leviathan twice on F39-6s. The tips if two of the fins were chipped but it was otherwise unharmed. Flying off concrete is less than ideal, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397950004.762216.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Flew rockets on one of the nicest days I can remember... 80 deg, ~5 mph wind. Even got a good liftoff picture of my Trident, which only comes out in perfect weather. Later on I turned the Estes Nike Smoke loose on a G80. :D. I think it was still going up when the chute deployed at +7 sec, but it was hard to judge since it was a dot when the chute popped. Even the guy whose yard the Smoke came down in was nice. Glad I had a siren on it as it drifted into the neighborhood. Upper level winds were about 60 degrees off of the surface winds.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I got up this morning and there was no wind. I grabbed my boys and some rockets and headed to the local HS athletic field.

First up was a scratch built pyramid made from a "do not stack" shipping protector on an A 8-3.
View attachment 169557

Next up an Estes Curviliner on a A 10-3t.
View attachment 169558
View attachment 169559

Then we flew a Sunward Gravity Rider on a pair of A 8-3s
View attachment 169560

Next up was a Fliskits Thunderbird
View attachment 169561

Then it was an Estes Reflector from the recent sale.
View attachment 169563

We also flew a few others that I failed so photo: A Semroc Constellation, An Estes Ricochet and a Estes Phoenix Bird.

We had a great time and the only rocket to suffer any damage was the Thunderbird two fins got knocked off on landing:sad:

Attachments

• 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
PAINT!!!!

The Darkstar clone got yellow for the fin can, and the Scrambler 2 got yellow.

Yesterday the Scrambler (Explorer Series) got yellow, and the Eggspress got screwed. The paint "popcorned" and cracked making a total mess of the whole body.

I ordered some BlueTube for a 1/6th (or not quite @ 16.3%) scale Nike Hercules. I managed to work out the engineering of the interstage coupler and booster recovery system. I hope I have the discipline to photo-document the build and create a build thread for this. It will be my summer project.

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 5.32.34 PM.png

I ordered some BlueTube for a 1/6th (or not quite @ 16.3%) scale Nike Hercules. I managed to work out the engineering of the interstage coupler and booster recovery system. I hope I have the discipline to photo-document the build and create a build thread for this. It will be my summer project.

View attachment 169577

You might contact member vcp. I think that he's done 3D prints of the shrouds for this rocket.

Me, just lots of primer and paint applied. The Golden Hind got it's first coat of gold, turned out pretty good but like I said, first coat ;)

Back