What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since November I have been renovating a bathroom, so between that and work I have done Zero rocketry since then till yesterday.

Built a Falcon 9 plus fairing kit that I picked up from SpaceX. I will have to do some graphics in the SES-10 launch config as a celebration of the first re-use. I got two, so I will make one a static model (get some legs 3D printed) and one for flying.

Also started re-prepping my 1/2 scale Apache (Nike Apache minus the Nike) for flight in the next month or so. Looking forward to lighting that one up on a CTI M840 :) Been trying to fly it since September last year.

Finished a repair on a fin on my Wildman Demon. Cracked fillets on each side of one fin...
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459314.132822.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459345.921335.jpg
Dremeled the fillets...ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459389.822085.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459426.203637.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459448.424656.jpg
Poured new fillets...ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459494.583039.jpg
Repainted entire fin can...ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459621.286282.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494459631.008709.jpg

Placed an order for miscellaneous components from Balsa Machine.
Placed order for a JLCR from One Bad Hawk.
Ordered some BT56 components from ebay vendors. Have nose cones in the pile, might as well put them to use.

I finally got up the courage to finish soldering my Eggtimer Quantum. I was so relived to see this when I attached the battery and connected my phone to the new wifi signal. Who knew my crappy soldering skills could make this thing work?!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494475147.751749.jpg

Thorough testing will happen tomorrow, but I'm really liking this thing already.

Last edited:
Lost print to bed adhesion failure. Made it about 3h before coming loose. I am trying to print vertically, so it is a small footprint relative to length. I'll try again tonight.
I've had luck with pretty low bed temps, but I currently run a bed temp of 90C and a hot end temp of 250C and it works like a champ with eSun PETG. I use BuildTak on my bed - that helps too.

Like this....
That Cowbunga looks awesome!

I've had luck with pretty low bed temps, but I currently run a bed temp of 90C and a hot end temp of 250C and it works like a champ with eSun PETG. I use BuildTak on my bed - that helps too.

That Cowbunga looks awesome!

Its done with vinyl cut on my wife's Cricut from clip art I converted to SVG then resized. After the spots were applied the whole deal was given a coat of Future.

Its done with vinyl cut on my wife's Cricut from clip art I converted to SVG then resized. After the spots were applied the whole deal was given a coat of Future.
Vinyl cutters rule for rocket paint jobs. I love my Silhouette 3 for cutting spray paint masks.

EDIT: Tonight I reprogrammed the freqs on my Eggfinder & Eggfinder Mini. I also started designing a 3d printed sled for my Go Devil 29. It'll get a Quark, Eggfinder Mini, a hack & slashed 2S 300mAh lipo and a switch...if it all fits in there.

Ordered some new Mylar competition chutes, and a pack of 1/2A6-2 motors for a project I'm starting, from ASP. And sent off an inquiry to Stickershock for some custom decals for said project.

... And ordered a second QCC Explorer from the Estes "Specials" page!

Last edited:

Thanks for the advice. Last night I did a 3 hour print with 75C/245C using Hatchbox PETG, and it stuck like a champ to the stock Prusa bed wiped down with isopropanol. The main difference was I found a thermal image of the Prusa bed and found out I was printing in the coldest spot, so I moved to a hot spot. Also, I added a 10 layer birm around the print, and a 10mm skirt, as well as. Even the skirt and birm were stuck flat after 3 hours, so I think I'll try my sled print again with the new settings soon. I need to make an enclosure to get the bed consistently over 85C, so I think many things will get easier after higher bed temps are achievable. I'm starting to understand what all the many print settings equate to in the reality of printing, so it is getting easier to solve little problems here and there.

Lost another one. This time 90C bed and some Aqua Net...if it can hold up 80s Jersey Mall Hair it can hold plastic to the bed of my printer.

Primed and sanded, primed and sanded....7 rockets now primed, a Cherokee-C, Cherokee-D, BT50/55/60 V-2 rockets (yep 3 sizes), Centuri Bulldog, and Enerjet Aero-Dart. Also printed the decals for the Cherokees and the Bulldog and Aero-Dart. Tomorrow is starting color coats and coating the decals.

Lost another one. This time 90C bed and some Aqua Net...if it can hold up 80s Jersey Mall Hair it can hold plastic to the bed of my printer.
Dang. BuildTak is an awesome friend to have, BTW. There are other similar products too.

For me today, I finished the first draft design of my Go Devil 29 sled and printed it. I'll fit check the avionics tomorrow.

Filled and sanded (repeat several times) the fins for my Estes BT-60 Nike Smoke and for the Saros clone. Should be able to sand out the last coats and prime tomorrow.

Also got the fins cut out, sanded and glued on to my Estes K-11 WAC Corporal clone. The WAC was my go-to rocket when I was a kid and the last time I flew one was in the 80s. Hard to believe we could get a 12" chute in a BT-20. Even harder to believe it ever came back out...

Back