What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a bit done today - repainted the Mega DRM, repainted the top half of the Frenzy after sanding out the wrinkled... It's very close to good enough paint wise. Installed rail buttons and motor retainer on the bottom half of the Frenzy... powered up and tested the Eggtimer Quantum. The Frenzy will fly with motor deploy (with chute release) for a L2 attempt next month and will be upgraded with dual deploy afterward.

Destroyed my Cosmodrome Nike Smoke on its first flight :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I flew it on a CTI F32. I reduced the delay to 7 seconds. RS indicated it should go to 1000' and time to apogee would be 8.

Instead, it went up 50 ~ 75', flipped on its side, fell down sideways, sat on the ground and finally fired the ejection charge.

Any thoughts/insight to why this happened???

Instead, it went up 50 ~ 75', flipped on its side, fell down sideways, sat on the ground and finally fired the ejection charge.

Any thoughts/insight to why this happened???

Did it burn the full length of time? i.e. an F32 should burn 1.7 seconds, per CTI's website. I'm wondering if this was a weird chuff. If you take the motor apart, does it look like the grains completely burnt on the inside?

unrelated topic- your sig file should be from "T. Lehr" assuming you're referring to the wildman :)

Went to WarnerR and cut some fibre .. and strategized some 54md birds !

Kenny

Opened 3 packages. One from eRockets, the other 2 from over seas.
I know have the remaining parts needed to finish my scrambler including decals.
A new replacement nose cone for Ranger, and a decal.
Some looooong launch lugs and JLCR Nomax pocket.
1 Bag from Japan, 2 tubes of Tamiya putty. 1 Basic and 1 White.
And the other bag has those hard to find batteries for the Estes Noise making gadget so you can track it.
Got 6 batteries for 2 units, so should last me the summer. As long as I can afford some engines.
Still waiting on 2 packages. 1 from Stickershock, and another one from Japan with small battery clips for the controller conversion.
If you will excuse me please, I have some rocket stuffs to do now!

I thought it might be.

I don't like that song as much as the others. Feels like it "takes thing too far" (Quoting his introduction to his performance) but that might change around the phase most people report losing interest in rockets in. I wish he had included the music to Lobachevski or New Math or another song in his most comprehensive songbook but there's still a goodly amount of music remaining.

Did it burn the full length of time? i.e. an F32 should burn 1.7 seconds, per CTI's website. I'm wondering if this was a weird chuff. If you take the motor apart, does it look like the grains completely burnt on the inside?

I wasn't really timing it... Opening the motor it appears it all burned. (it is only a 1 grain)

I picked up a Baby Bertha last night at HL to convert to rear ejection for Open Spot Landing.

Ordered 3 rockets on clearance at Estes. Two of 003230 - Estes Jetliner™ & one of 002463 - Dark Zero™
Dark Zero was four dollar impulse buy because I like the fin shape.
And it was blue.
Honestly, I don't actually need any more rocket kits but you know how it goes ...
... somewhere recently on a hobby forum there was a signature line something like,
"It's only because of closets that model manufacturers can stay in business"

I did nothing special.
Last night I put the fins on the Scrambler, started the Engines Mount, Started the baffle w/ shock cord mount.
Did some fillets on launch lugs, puttied up the V2 nose cone and tail cone with the Tamiya White putty.
Tonight so for, started fillets on Scramber, more fillets on launch lucgs, sanded the V2 nose cone.
More work on the Engines Mount and Baffle for the Scrambler.
Still to go is sand the tail cone on the V2, and more glue work.
Darn cold today and rain. Need some money for paint & primer.
Please buy knives!

Finished assembling my 3D printer, and got it through the axis and bed calibration cycles. With luck, tonight I will get to do some test prints. Then the printing of rocket-y things shall begin.

Began construction of an enlarged Estes Mosquito for rear ejection using a Baby Bertha for the parts.

Third coat of sanding sealer for Mini Max and Star Trooper. Final light sanding and fins will be ready for primer.
third_coat_ss-cr.jpg

Slapped together a design to hold a Mobius on my Quicksilver. I'll attach it with Gaffer tape. Time to fire up the 3d printer...
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 10.42.30 PM.png

Dialed in the ejection charges for my MadCow 4" AGM 33 Pike and set up the StrattologgerCF. It's now ready to go. I was hoping to fly it tomorrow at the MMMSC, but the launch was scrubbed do to rain.:sigh:

I finished up my 24mm downscale plans/patterns of a LOC Starfighter to be named Fauxfighter. In OR it's very close to BT-56 in size however I have a lot of BT-55 tubes/nc's. A PNC-55AC isn't quite long enough so the bt will be a bit longer. Will I ever build it is the real ?.

I started repairing my Squat. Took a bit of a long skate across a rough farm last year due to high winds. Thinking about dusting off the airbrush for some flames.

Today was the closest I've come to doing something rocket-y and that amounted to cleaning enough of the garage that I can actually walk up to my workbench. I put away a few rockets that have been laying out for a almost a year and cleared off half of my workbench. If my family can avoid piling more crap into the newly cleared floor space, I have some hope of actually getting some work, rocket and otherwise, done this summer.

I unloaded a box full of BP motors for our rocket club. I also went down to our high school to pick up our Upscale Dragonfly with its trailer.

(Yesterday) I made an 11 hour round trip to near Atlanta and back to pick up the "Lot" of LPR kits and motors I purchased from a young man who needed the cash. Of the kits, the biggest score for me was the Estes "E" Powered V-2 and 4 multi-packs of Estes B6-4 motors and 3 AT 29mm G reloads!

Back