What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score
I would guess many folks do a little rocketry work every few days. Maybe your work is not new thread worthy, but you might want to at least share with others.
If you feel like it, this can be a thread for that. On the arcade message board I visit they have a thread like that and it is nice.

Last edited:
I glued the new couplers into the switch band for my Super Flash then drilled the hole for accessing the power switch. I also started making a standard coupler to use when I don't want to do dual deploy. Other than that...not much.

I rummaged around in the paint locker this morning for an alternate Rusto rattlecan spray handle as the nice one ($6) wouldn't fit the particular can of Rusto 2X white primer I wanted to use. The $3 one QQuake recommended fit just fine so there is a good reason for having one of each. Okay, I actually have two of the $6 handles, the QQuake favorite, and two others. I paint a lot.

I then shot some primer on my Madcow Squat and sanded it down after it had cured.

I snapped a few photographs of the Squat with my cellphone camera to upload to the "I Hate Paint" thread.

Yesterday I purchased a 2" diameter dowel from the Home Despot to use as a rocket painting stick for 54mm motor mounts so this evening I wrapped a buttload of masking tape around it to "fit" the dowel to the motor mount and finished off with a collar to prevent the dowel from sliding all the way through. Note: This will only work with very short fin cans as I am NOT Popeye and the dowel is four feet long.

I put release in a mold for my carbon fiber saucer im building. With the colder weather it taskes longer to cure so now I apply it the night before to be safe. Tomorrow I will do the layup of the saucer body and motor tubes.

IMAG3059 by beerorkid, on Flickr

A 4 foot rail showed up at lunch. The Rockwell Jaw Stand will be here Friday. PML rail lugs and other toys showed up. I built up quite the build queue it seems. The wife is very supportive and assists often, but pointed out how many unbuilt kits I have. I thanked her (because now I am hardware hunting).

IMAG3054 by beerorkid, on Flickr

This poor Xarconian Cruiser has been half built for weeks now. Almost done, but there will be much filler and sanding.

IMAG3018 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3020 by beerorkid, on Flickr

How short can a Bertha go until it is unstable? She has lost about 7 inches. I do have BT-60 and couplers though.

Last edited:
I spent an hour sanding the nose tip of Disappearing Act.

I scoped out my method for cutting tube slots in my L2 rocket, Upward Propensity: my school's table saw blade, when fully extended, makes a cut just .125 inches shorter than my fin roots, and won't touch the top of the tube. Basically, I'll sit the rocket over the slot, turn on the saw, and fully raise the blade into the tube. Pretty slick, huh? (though it relies on an awfully nice coincidence)

How short can a Bertha go until it is unstable? She has lost about 7 inches. I do have BT-60 and couplers though.
I brought the or file down to 4" and it simed out fine on a c6-5 with an apogee of nearly 900 feet

Oh, yeah, I also put a coat of primer on the SF nose cone. Fuzzed it up by sanding so the primer would have something to grab. Looks like heck right now.

Filled out some forms for NASA, and made a hotel reservation in Madison, Alabama. Going to Marshal Space Flight Center in April as a mentor for a group of high school students participating in the SLI program.

Working with kids can be fun. But these are 16 year old high school boys, and I think they've discovered the 16 year old high school girls. They seem... Distracted. Gee, what a surprise. :eyepop:

Not.

Does that count?

IMAG3054 by beerorkid, on Flickr

This poor Xarconian Cruiser has been half built for weeks now. Almost done, but there will be much filler and sanding.

That XC is lookin sweeet!

I built a, "Der Red Max", this is probably a kit I would have never bought, but due to the generosity and kindness of a certian member of this foum I find my self in possion of one. They seem to be a real popular design so I figured I'd build it. Can't wait to see it fly.

Finished the interior fillets and installed the rear centering ring on the DX-3. Then I applied some Bondo to some of the cracks in the fin slots.

Beeror are you seriously working on your rockets on granite counters?!?!?!!!! Seriously on Granite?!? And by the looks of it that appears to be a very expensive Italian Granite.

It is laminate I installed a couple years back. I use wax paper or one of those craft mats most times. I got a bit of CA on there once and it scraped right off.

I brought the or file down to 4" and it simed out fine on a c6-5 with an apogee of nearly 900 feet

Cool, thanks. I like her a bit stubby.

I went to Michael's and purchased a couple wood dowels. I made a jig to hold my GFORCE airframe and posted pictures of this process under my GFORCE build thread. I also drill a few holes in the upper section to allow my altimeter to get readings when I fly it. Today may buy some more primer and start to primer the upper section.

Nothing too exciting, received a package from Crazy Jim; FG Bulkheads, Kevlar, and 9V battert connectors. Thanks Jim! Rapped with my rocket homies on Facebook, and cleaned out the binder I take to launches of old stuff.

repainted the lower part of my Leviathan, colorshift screwed up again....so I said ******. Ordered a scale off Amazon so I can weigh epoxy acurately, and get started on some of my other projects. Took inventory of my motor collection(need to start buying c6-5 again, only 15 left).

It's more like what will I do.
I'm scratchbuilding Saturn 1B and im about to add the wraps, I kinda hate the wraps though i had to get them from Semroc
since Apogee doesnt have any and Semroc's was the closest I could find.
Pictures to come !

I grabbed a 12" empty wood wire spool from one of our electricians. Scoped out Red Arrow for a Loki I110W load, 38mm motor tube and a couple of centering rings. Hopefully gonna fly it in February.

I too checked my tracking numbers,two or three times.:bangpan:
I have a 6' rail and rockwell jaw stand on it's way and an Aerotech kit with a couple hundred dollars worth of goodies to lose.
All I could do today is clean off my work area and wait patiently for the mail man.:pop:

Last edited:
She is a straight up thief looking for whatever she could find. You need to get rid of that loser.
I would e-mail that tape to her boss.

Government building. Security has a copy of the video and they were grateful for the vid because others have reported missing stuff. They were working on finding the offender. Her employment will be terminated.

I tossed the hot tamales and got some nibs.

I bought some epoxy/foam mixing cups, an epoxy syringe, and some rocket tape at TAP plastics on Tuesday, and sanded some of the foaming mess off my Mini Darkstar last night.

I'm also trying to get my wife to come with me to the Snow Ranch launch on Saturday.

Headed out in just a few minutes to get some DPST switches for the AV bay! Thursday I'm off with the kids so I usually make sure my schoolwork is done and work on rocketry related stuff between playing with the kiddies.
-Ken

Nothing yesterday. Today I'm going by Harbor Freight to find some Superlube (for AT reloads) and a blowtorch (to heat up a brass rod I want to smash). Then off to an auto parts store to find some automotive detailing masking tape. Then if it's warm enough, I might start the primer on my L1 project.

Last edited:
Nothing yesterday. Today I'm going by Harbor Freight to find some Superlube (for AT reloads) and a blowtorch (to heat up a brass rod I want to smash). Then off to an auto parts store to find some automotive detailing masking tape. Then if it's warm enough, I might start the primer on my L1 project.

You could probably just buy some lube from the autoparts store too. I use MobilOne synthetic grease on my reloads. You don't "have" to use superlube, unless the stores are close enough.

Back