What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my first ever trek to Woosh at Bong State Park today. Met and chatted with Jerry aka Crossfire, a friend of Jerry's who's name has slipped away (getting old just sucks sometimes) and Rex. All good people.

I didn't fly anything but had a good time watching the usual assortment of cloud dancers and core samplers.

Flew a few on the weekend:

Mk4 rocket propelled companion pod on an H135, in a copy of my L1 flight to 3000’. My JLCR went flat in my range box overnight - I forgot to make sure it was turned off after charging it. Thankfully a fellow flyer loaned me one to use.

My half painted gap staged rear eject sports scale (41mm to 18mm) Nike Apache had its maiden flight (b6-0 and a8-3) and performed flawlessly.

The male children also all flew their rockets on c6-5s and D12-(5 and 7).

All up, not a bad day.

Flew a few on the weekend:

Mk4 rocket propelled companion pod on an H135, in a copy of my L1 flight to 3000’. My JLCR went flat in my range box overnight - I forgot to make sure it was turned off after charging it. Thankfully a fellow flyer loaned me one to use.

My half painted gap staged rear eject sports scale (41mm to 18mm) Nike Apache had its maiden flight (b6-0 and a8-3) and performed flawlessly.

The male children also all flew their rockets on c6-5s and D12-(5 and 7).

All up, not a bad day.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Our club launch for this weekend got cancelled... I haven't gotten anything up since my L1 in March. I packed for NSL next weekend though- a gap stager, a parallel stager, a cardboard machbuster (my L1 rocket but with a 6 grain motor), and a couple plain old MPRs. Should be a lot of fun!

Finished all the epoxy work on two 38mm min diameter rockets. All that's left is wiring the avionics bay (shared between the two rockets) and stringing the recovery harness. The smaller of the two rockets I started construction 3 days ago. I should finish them tomorrow (well, today), so that'll be a 4 day build!

I pulled the first set of fillets on the Falcon 3 last night. Scotchweld 420 is pretty nice to work with, but is a little low viscosity for huge fillets, which these are. I had to touch up the ends over the first 45 min or so to keep dribbles from coming off the back.

Sent new launch tower plans to a company that is going to laser cut them for me. My old tower is only for 3 fin, and I need a four fin model. The cutting is surprisingly affordable when supplying the steel plate myself, but I assume that is because my Dad sent them HUGE amounts of work in the past.

Preflighted, cleaned, and prepped six rockets for a launch this weekend. Selecting and building motors will have to wait until I find out whether sparkies are allowed this year.

Sent new launch tower plans to a company that is going to laser cut them for me. My old tower is only for 3 fin, and I need a four fin model. The cutting is surprisingly affordable when supplying the steel plate myself, but I assume that is because my Dad sent them HUGE amounts of work in the past.

So envious. I'd love to have a dedicated 38mm tower.

So envious. I'd love to have a dedicated 38mm tower.

This one will be adjustable out to a 16" fin span, and accommodate 3 or 4 fin. Only draw back is 5-7 week wait while it is inserted into production schedule, but for the deal I'm getting I'm not complaining. It will still be done before Airfest, which is when I need it. I have to decide how tall to make it...will probably go 8 ft.

Today, I cleaned motor cases. Made 12 flights at LDRS, two of which were 5x54mm clusters. I also cleaned most of Sharon's motors. Fortunately, most of the smaller CTI motors had the reload debris removed. My fingers are wrinkled! The good news is that I started using "Barkeepers Friend", which made cleaning much easier.

That’s a good team right there!!
12 flights and motor cases cleaned - I bet you jog everywhere during rocket retrieval

That’s a good team right there!!
12 flights and motor cases cleaned - I bet you jog everywhere during rocket retrieval

We don't jog unless it's a paved or graded surface, but we usually work together to find our rockets. Almost everything we fly has some sort of tracker in it.
Today, we did some more inventory, 38 and 54mm CTI and AT, came up missing a CTI 54mm 6 grain casing, then found it in Sharon's 3" Blackstar. Just one more case to clean. Hopefully, we can finish up inventory tomorrow and start cleaning and downloading avbays.

After two unsuccessful attempts, I finally pulled off electronic staging. The rocket was pretty ugly (The sustainer crashed on both previous attempts), but it flew straight. I'm still trying to interpret the data, but it felt good to see and hear the sustainer light ~500 ft in the air.

IMG_1450 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Just got home from Mini Midwest Power. Great time but dang it was hot!!!! 90 degrees at 10:30 this morning. Flew 2 yesterday and one today. Todays was a scratch built fiberglass 4" rocket 8' tall on an L1090. Perfect flight to 7575 feet. Sweated out a gallon of sweat getting it back and called it a day.

Made it out to Mini MWP today. Met and chatted with Mr. & Mrs Crupe (Mac Performance), Mr. & Mrs. Lehr (along with a small purchase at the WM trailer) and Mr. Kawabata (Prez of QCRS).

Flew my modded BD for the 1st time, watched a bunch of the big boys fly and got drenched by my GF's son and his mini water rifle.... :p

Had a great time. Can't wait for MWP in Nov. Hope to have my BlackFly and DarkStar Jr. ready by then.

Built a Semroc (Centuri) Starfire with my grandson today.

Will be flying with him and his dad tomorrow afternoon.

My copy of “Ignition!” came a few days ago. Have been too busy with other things (we are putting on a 40th anniversary party for ourselves next Sunday...so LOTS of honey-dos) to crack it open beyond the lovely introduction by Isaac Asimov that just made me want to pull one or more of HIS books down off the shelf....

Just got back from Fire in the Sky in Mansfield, WA. Had a great time this weekend, spent way too much on motors at Bay Area Rocketry's trailer, and flew seven 100% successful flights. Also got to try out my Missileworks T3 tracker, which paid for itself when it lead me to a rocket that had landed way, way out in tall grass.

Flights:
Wildman Drago 4XL J450 Dark Matter (~2,500')
Madcow 2.6 Black Brant II H130W (~2,000')
Madcow cardboard Mini Tomach H128W (4,186', new personal best)
Upscale Solar Warrior J450DM (3,000')
Polecat Black Brant III J270W (2,400')
Wildman Drago 4XL K2050ST (3,800')
Madcow Sea Wolf I284W (2,300')

Got lots of video, will take a while to edit it all together. An awesome weekend!

Oh, in the raffle I won 42" worth of 6" cardboard tube and a Perfectflite SL100 altimeter setup. I have some 1/4" ply already, so now it's time to think up some ideas for a 6" stubby scratchbuild.

Epic weekend at Delamar with a 50k waiver. I set a new I-motor record & made an attempt at the J record. (Details later...we just got back in town and I'm zonked.)
IMG_7331-2.jpg IMG_7478-crop.jpg

Last edited:
Back